• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

SS4

Established Member
They had several leaflets on the new railcard at Lichfield TV yesterday. I picked up about 30 for some reason :|

Anything interesting (like a start date)? I've not had a chance to go to my local station yet

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Anything interesting (like a start date)? I've not had a chance to go to my local station yet

Surprisingly, no: it is written as if it is available now. TBH it's just like any other railcard leaflet, except for the different discounts available etc. It does say it is purchasable from any railway booking office in that holds a Coventry, Dudley, Brum, Wolves or Walsall postcode though. It is valid on any Standard / First Anytime, Off-Peak and Advance tickets though, which was surprising to me as I expected it to be like the 16-25 railcard and have no First Class discounts on certain tickets.

SS4

Established Member
Surprisingly, no: it is written as if it is available now. TBH it's just like any other railcard leaflet, except for the different discounts available etc. It does say it is purchasable from any railway booking office in that holds a Coventry, Dudley, Brum, Wolves or Walsall postcode though. It is valid on any Standard / First Anytime, Off-Peak and Advance tickets though, which was surprising to me as I expected it to be like the 16-25 railcard and have no First Class discounts on certain tickets.

I'll find a quiet time to visit Chester Road and make some inquiries when I get a spare moment (hopefully sometime this week)

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Funny how it's already got a "testimonial" on the front page even though nobody can possibly have used the card yet!

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
That should really be removed, its false advertising surely?

Debateable. Had there been a railcard then they could have saved loads, and if two people decided to do the same now then they will save loads. I'd guess it's just about alright on the basis that it's not suggesting something which isn't now possible.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
As they are using the past tense (The Two Together railcard WAS introduced on Monday 5th September 2011), the website has clearly been produced to be read after the date it starts.

This means that Sam and Mark are completely fictional inventions of the marketing agency - the fact that they are young fottball fans is obviosuly intended to apepal to what is seen as one of the main markets - and therefore they should be removed immediately.

I'm thoroughly sick of being treated like an idiot by advertising agencies. The poduct does not yet exist, so no one could have saved any money by using it, and it is insulting that they think they can get away with this deception.

I'm off for a nice lie down in a dark room now...

jon0844

Veteran Member
A lot of testimonials are faked.

In my old job, we had an annual awards and advised people entering to send testimonials for extra credibility. We asked for original letters wherever possible, or emails as a last resort (clearly people would prefer email now - but they're easily faked).

We discovered that more than one company each came up with the same great idea; inform in a newsletter to their customers that they'd pay for written testimonials! What's more, each had opted to give examples of what could be written, while one offered to actually write them and send them out to be signed (ironically, we weren't in a position time wise to go checking them that thoroughly, so they could have just faked a signature themselves!).

That said, when I ran my business (1993-2000) when people still sent things by mail and email was more for business use only, customers did send me a lot of unsolicited thank you letters. I didn't even need them for anything, but they made me feel good!

Besides testimonials, you can now pay companies in India or China to write positive reviews on websites and even produce their own video reviews for £20-30 - allowing you to get 'real' reviews from a range of locations/IP addresses. Many big businesses have been caught out for dong this - but far from stopping, it's just getting easier and easier to do it WITHOUT being caught.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I know that it goes on, and that's why I am so sick of it! I've had a lot of good, positive feedback in my business which I won't mention to customers because it's so easy to fake these things! It's got to the stage where if I see a testimonial I don't believe it any more.

Last week I saw two testimonials for two different holidays, with exactly the same wording in exactly the same name. It's so brazen it makes my blood boil!

Having said that, I was in a very bad mood earlier today, but I have calmed down a little now!

island

Veteran Member
Has anyone complained to the ASA?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Never mind, I just have.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Can Sam and Mark let me know tonights lottery numbers?!!:D;)

"Sam and Mark" must travel together to a lot of football matches if the Railcard's going to be a "winning investment." I still think it's a flawed idea. If just one person had to be the named cardholder and could bring anyone else with them, then yes, it's a great idea! But for two people to be the only ones who can used the Railcard for an entire year... :roll:

Railcard Website said:
The second cardholder can be anyone you know; a friend or family member – just make sure that it is someone you enjoy spending time with, you’re going to be doing a lot of travelling together! (:roll:)

route:oxford

Established Member
It's surprising really that Transport Scotland haven't introduced a "National Railcard".

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
"Sam and Mark" must travel together to a lot of football matches if the Railcard's going to be a "winning investment."

If they restrict it to just home matches and live not far from the team they support, then I agree. But it wouldn't take many away-days up and down the country to pay for the railcard.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
If they restrict it to just home matches and live not far from the team they support, then I agree. But it wouldn't take many away-days up and down the country to pay for the railcard.

Agreed, if you follow your team loyally, it wouldn't be impossible for a pair of Macclesfield fans to end up in Aldershot, Bristol, Crawley or Southend once (or even twice!) a season, plus cup games etc...

All Line Rover

Established Member
Agreed, if you follow your team loyally, it wouldn't be impossible for a pair of Macclesfield fans to end up in Aldershot, Bristol, Crawley or Southend once (or even twice!) a season, plus cup games etc...

Oh so that's great. We now have a Railcard for football fans! I'm sure they've been crying out for one! :roll:

;)

ATOC, we've been crying out for a Railcard that EVERYONE is eligible for!!

snail

Established Member
"Sam and Mark" must travel together to a lot of football matches if the Railcard's going to be a "winning investment."
One trip could pay for the railcard. You only have to buy two tickets at £41.20 to save £28.

I don't quite get how this is going to progress though - the website says the trial runs from 5th Sept to 19th May, with cards valid for 1 year, but a decision on whether to roll it out nationwide won't be made until 2013! Will people buying now get the chance to renew?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Will people buying now get the chance to renew?

Ask Mark or Sam; they can travel backwards and forwards in time.

BTW, why does a Family & Friends Railcard need a child between 5-15? Why not 0-15? Is a child not part of the family until it reaches 5?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
BTW, why does a Family & Friends Railcard need a child between 5-15? Why not 0-15? Is a child not part of the family until it reaches 5?

Of course it is, and you are free to buy a child ticket for an under 5 to get the discount on adult fares. Unless the fare is so low that the minimum child fare kicks in, the cost of the child ticket will always be less than the discount on even one adult ticket.

Family and Friends Railcard Terms said:
If the only child in the Family & Friends Railcard group is aged less than five years of age, the Railcard holder must purchase a discounted ticket for that child in order for the accompanying adult(s) to qualify for the discount on their tickets.

jon0844

Veteran Member
It doesn't.

Ah, I see there was a more detailed explanation than the first page that only mentioned 5-15 years old.

You’re eligible to buy a Family & Friends Railcard if you travel with a child who is five to 15 years old. The good news is that up to four adults and four kids can travel on one Railcard – and they don’t even need to be related.

Any two adults can be named Railcard holders.

All kids under five travel free - and each adult may take up to two 'under fives' with them. However, if the only child in the group is under five, you'll need to purchase a discounted child ticket to qualify for the adult Railcard discount. All child fares are subject to a £1 minimum fare.

So, despite a child under 5 being free - you have to pay! Yet, you can't pay for a child ticket if you don't have a child at all.

All very nice, simple and logical!

cuccir

Established Member
snail:787240 said:
I don't quite get how this is going to progress though - the website says the trial runs from 5th Sept to 19th May, with cards valid for 1 year, but a decision on whether to roll it out nationwide won't be made until 2013! Will people buying now get the chance to renew?

I suspect that they might not want it operating during the Olympics: it will.be very busy on the rail and there'll be a higher than usual % of people travelling in pairs - most people will go to the games with a friend, whilst many commuters may take the opportunity of a holiday! It will also be a busy time generally and not ideal for launching a new product.

nedchester

Established Member
Seems to me the most discriminated traveller is now the single 26-59 person who isn't disabled?!

I would be interested how many people from outside the West Mids area get hold of one of these cards. After all you just turn up at Birmingham New Street with your form give any address in the Midlands and away you go!

As usual the railway just has to make things more complicated than it needs to be. Just have one (national) railcard and get rid of all the others? Call it the....er....Network Card!

firespire

I would be interested how many people from outside the West Mids area get hold of one of these cards. After all you just turn up at Birmingham New Street with your form give any address in the Midlands and away you go!

As the issuing instructions say the ticket office shouldn't check the validity of the address, many I suppose. Even then there are lot of people who live in B&B's/Guesthouses/Caravan Site/Canal boats, there was even a couple who took up living in a Travelodge. It doesn't say how long you have to stay there or what happens if you move on.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
As usual the railway just has to make things more complicated than it needs to be. Just have one (national) railcard and get rid of all the others? Call it the....er....Network Card!

But that would mean some design agency couldn't set up and maintain a multitude of different sites for each railcard, complete with differing T&Cs, the same T&Cs written in different ways on different parts of the sites, a series of 'other offers' for railcard owners that cover some and not others... and so on.

How would you get all the testimonials from genuine members of the public to go on the sites if they didn't all exist?!

One simple railcard, possibly sold at different prices depending on your age (i.e. students and the elderly get a cheaper card) or disability (free?) would be a lot easier.

Those who use the card a lot would not be doing the industry out of loads of money, but actually travelling more and putting more IN - and helping fill off-peak services. As long as you retain certain restrictions, i.e. not usable until after 1000, I am sure you would be just fine.

The only possible exception might be the disabled/job seeker card that would give discounts at all times.

Clip

Established Member
Im going to complain about the use of the word 'Footie'. .I abhor the use of that word. Its football.

Status
Not open for further replies.