• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No toilets - Crosscountry cardiff - nottingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Can you clarify; was this the ONLY toilet on this train?
Or is the OP making a mountain out of a pimple?

I think we can safety say that it is not the only toilet on the train as al XC stock have at least two toilets.

The OP's explanation was given in Post 87 - misinformed by PIS.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndrewE

Established Member
Plus the fact that the smell of raw sewage would not be welcome.

No, if you are using vacuum to suck out a tank then there should be no smell at all (apart from where the system is vented, and that can be dealt with.)
I was trying to make the point that with our platform and running-line spacing you can't be down on the tracks without the adjacent line being blocked, and the intensive useage at Lime st or New St (for example) absolutely precludes this. Also applies to tanking trains, so even old-fashioned stock couldn't be re-filled any more.
A

TheEdge

Established Member
Can confirm, as a companion for a wheelchair user I regularly sit next to these toilets, and it's normal to watch the toilet constantly going in and out of use, making random noises and clunks, all while nobody is even near it

If these are similar/the same as those fitted to the AGA 156s they seem to attempt to do a self clean (the clunking and vacuum noises) if they are almost full or OOU due to a blockage in an attempt to clear.

Can result in some odd behaviour. Tonight I had a 156 that locked and unlocked its loo several times doing that.

Portable CET tank empting machines are available there the size of a small car as Hull paragon use one on the 185s on an evening by driving it along the platform and before anyone asks no the platform is cordened off or anything else

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Portable CET tank empting machines are available there the size of a small car as Hull paragon use one on the 185s on an evening by driving it along the platform and before anyone asks no the platform is cordened off or anything else

Now that is a genuinely interesting post.

I wasn't even aware that there was a technical fix to this issue, and the knowledge needs to be made available more widely so that the worse TOC's don't feel the temptation to skimp on toilet emptying.

SPADTrap

Established Member

Are you sure that isn't filling the unit with water?

DarloRich

Veteran Member

that sounds like a water bowser - for filling water tanks rather than emptying them

tpebpn

TPE own 2 portable cet machines at manchester airport to empty the tanks and also fill with fresh water. Other tocs need to take note and spend some money.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It is notable that while FirstGroup TOCs are not always known for quality customer service, they do seem very clued up indeed when it comes to operational and engineering matters. Possibly a company culture thing - First Bus always seemed the same to some extent.

Via Bank

Let us not forget that toilets can also be locked out of use if there's no fresh water for flushing/the sink. Even if it's impossible to empty CETs without a horrible smell, there's little excuse for not using the opportunity of turnaround times to refill the water tanks.

ComUtoR

Established Member
there's little excuse for not using the opportunity of turnaround times to refill the water tanks.

How easy do you believe it is to retank in as little as 4 minutes in the rush hour ?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
TPE own 2 portable cet machines at manchester airport to empty the tanks and also fill with fresh water. Other tocs need to take note and spend some money.

here you go: http://www.bradshawelectricvehicles.co.uk/about-us/case-studies/manchester-airport-case-study/

Bradshaw electric vehicles:

Bradshaw Electric Vehicles and Vogelsang delivered a clean and clear solution, supplying two custom built, mobile Controlled Emission Toilet emptying systems to First TransPennine Express. The new vehicles are in action at Manchester Airport railway station, extracting sewage from the toilet holding tanks and supplying wholesome water for washing hands and for toilet flushing, on trains operated by First TransPennine Express

I take back the above comment re Hull other than to say they do look like water bowsers - perhaps they have one at Hull.

It still doesnt help you get to rail locked sigings to empty the tanks and i am not sure I would fancy doing the emptying at Euston at 17:00 ;)

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
What % of depots (not just XC) have the equipment for emptying CETs? Should the installation of equipment for emptying CETs be made mandatory by the DfT at all depots and major stabling locations?

TheEdge

Established Member
What % of depots (not just XC) have the equipment for emptying CETs? Should the installation of equipment for emptying CETs be made mandatory by the DfT at all depots and major stabling locations?

I guess that all main depots where CET allocated units are will have the equipment. The depots are not the problem, its the stabling points. Yes, it probably should be written that CET facilities should be available at all depots and stabling points but its the practicality.

AGA and Ipswich for example. Major stabling point but not an easy place to install CET equipment somewhere useful.

Pakenhamtrain

here you go: http://www.bradshawelectricvehicles.co.uk/about-us/case-studies/manchester-airport-case-study/

I take back the above comment re Hull other than to say they do look like water bowsers - perhaps they have one at Hull.

It still doesnt help you get to rail locked sigings to empty the tanks and i am not sure I would fancy doing the emptying at Euston at 17:00 ;)

We have something similar at Southern Cross Station for V/Line trains. Only it's a very small Isuzu truck. Train arrives at the station. Truck drives up on the platform and parks next to the outlet. Pump out the contents of the waste tank and put in fresh water.

They seem to be able to keep toilet waste tanks empty with very stretched fleet with very few spare units around.

Envoy

Established Member
Incredibly, Cardiff Central has no toilets - except those beyond the barriers & actually on the platforms. They recently opened a new south side entrance - again, no toilets or seats where people could wait to pick up passengers. (The new entrance is also rather small considering the increasing numbers of people now using this side of the station - especially with car access now banned on the north side).

Perhaps they are simply afraid that seats & toilets on non travelling side of the barriers will attract undesirables?

exile

Established Member
I know it's sacrilege to make comparisons with other modes of transport, but do planes ever have to be taken out of service because the toilets aren't working?

I have been on a coach where the toilet went out of order, and the solution was to make an extra stop at a motorway services, much to the relief (!) of those aboard.

I do know people who don't believe in stopping when on a long car journey so they take portable urinals, I wonder when the rail equivalent of Ryanair will start issuing these to passengers!

cjmillsnun

Established Member
I know it's sacrilege to make comparisons with other modes of transport, but do planes ever have to be taken out of service because the toilets aren't working?

I have been on a coach where the toilet went out of order, and the solution was to make an extra stop at a motorway services, much to the relief (!) of those aboard.

I do know people who don't believe in stopping when on a long car journey so they take portable urinals, I wonder when the rail equivalent of Ryanair will start issuing these to passengers!

On long haul flights there is a definite need for toilets. You can't exactly say hang on if you're in the middle of the Atlantic or Pacific ocean and there isn't anywhere to stop. It's a rather unique situation that doesn't occur with the railways or roads.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Incredibly, Cardiff Central has no toilets - except those beyond the barriers & actually on the platforms. They recently opened a new south side entrance - again, no toilets or seats where people could wait to pick up passengers. (The new entrance is also rather small considering the increasing numbers of people now using this side of the station - especially with car access now banned on the north side).

Perhaps they are simply afraid that seats & toilets on non travelling side of the barriers will attract undesirables?

It's the case at many stations.

father_jack

It's the case at many stations.

Bristol Temple Meads has only toilets for ticket holding passengers. @Envoy while your point is appreciated even the local councils have more or less given up on public conveniences, upkeep/problems being the issue.

ComUtoR

Established Member

Google is your friend. I found a flight had to return to heathrow because of the smell coming from the toilet. Going by a passenger tweet the next flight was in 15hrs.

Going by that example Should we turn round the train at the next available location and cancel the service or just lock it out of use and continue ? Or allow people on the next available service ? Neither seems to be acceptable to some passengers.

WelshBluebird

Established Member

Aren't the "temporary" toilets that are by the car park / burger king by Central Square still there? (I say "temporary" because they are portacabin style toilets that were put in when the old bus station building was knocked down).

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Aren't the "temporary" toilets that are by the car park / burger king by Central Square still there? (I say "temporary" because they are portacabin style toilets that were put in when the old bus station building was knocked down).

If they are, they're likely to be knocked down again together with the Marland House Block which is currently happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.