• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 170's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anamyd

On Moderation
The 170s struggled with the Cambrian Coast when they were first introduced - I can't imagine them doing at all well on the Long Drag!
I acknowledge that I may not be helping the off-topic drift but do you know of any footage of 170s on the Cambrian Lines...? I've only seen a photo of a 170 at Aberystwyth station in 2001, which I can't find anymore

PomWombat

Why don't Northern put stickers in the windows? Or indeed introduce First Class fares if units with First Class are the norm!

If I remember correctly, there is very little that actively says 1st class. A vinyl on the outer door at that end of the car saying "1". Nothing inside. It just looks like it ought to be 1st class.

And can I add this ... The seats in the 1st class cabins are by far the grubbiest, most worn-out of any of the 170s from Scotrail. Is business that good between Edinburgh and Glasgow?

It doesn't put people off in the peaks though. The seats are full, and people standing in there too.

Dave91131

I saw 170453 a couple of times at Sheffield earlier today - looked to be on test and/or training runs.

PomWombat

If there's a 1 on the door, it'd be fairly sensible to "cross it out" with some fairly prominent coloured tape at the very least.
That. Or just take it off.

The external door, of course, actually opens into the standard class cabin (just in case it wasn't obvious)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
If there's a 1 on the door, it'd be fairly sensible to "cross it out" with some fairly prominent coloured tape at the very least.
Why bother? They'll be going through refurbishment in good time and will come out in horrible flat cloth throughout. In the meantime those of us ITK can have a slightly more pleasant travelling experience! ;)

deltic08

On Moderation
Went into York today from Hammerton, Scotrail 170 to and refurbed 170477 back. Scotrail moquette much softer to the backside than the new cloth which feels stiff and rough to the touch.

anamyd

On Moderation
Went into York today from Hammerton, Scotrail 170 to and refurbed 170477 back. Scotrail moquette much softer to the backside than the new cloth which feels stiff and rough to the touch.
Today?! It isn't even 4 AM yet! The Northern refurb seat cloth also picks up dirt more doesn't it...? Not sure why they went with this fabric

deltic08

On Moderation
Today?! It isn't even 4 AM yet! The Northern refurb seat cloth also picks up dirt more doesn't it...? Not sure why they went with this fabric
Ok Wednesday then, and I agree. Looks nice but doesn't cut the mustard.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Why bother? They'll be going through refurbishment in good time and will come out in horrible flat cloth throughout. In the meantime those of us ITK can have a slightly more pleasant travelling experience! ;)

Because much as those in the know like it, it's passenger-unfriendly not to make the class of accommodation clear, particularly on a PF TOC.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Because much as those in the know like it, it's passenger-unfriendly not to make the class of accommodation clear, particularly on a PF TOC.
The only instance where class would be an issue with penalty fares would be if the First class wasn't declassified. It'll only be an issue for a few months at most anyway. Sure, the stickers could come off! ;)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The only instance where class would be an issue with penalty fares would be if the First class wasn't declassified

No, you misunderstand. If there's a big 1 on it, people may fear a PF sufficiently not to sit there, which isn't right particularly if it means them standing.

TBH, I think we should be like most other countries and require a clear 2 to be displayed on Standard accommodation. (I know it's technically 3, but there is no good reason to deviate from what is near enough a global standard).

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
No, you misunderstand. If there's a big 1 on it, people may fear a PF sufficiently not to sit there, which isn't right particularly if it means them standing.

TBH, I think we should be like most other countries and require a clear 2 to be displayed on Standard accommodation. (I know it's technically 3, but there is no good reason to deviate from what is near enough a global standard).
Most of the 170s coming from Scotland don't have first class anyway. Only a handful do and they're being cycled through refurbishment fairly quickly. That a few Harrogate folk can't be bothered to do the research and enjoy a "free upgrade" isn't a big deal. They'll stand unless the guard tells them they can use the first class section, but guards almost certainly will tell them. They certainly won't PF them when there's no justification for doing so.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Most of the 170s coming from Scotland don't have first class anyway. Only a handful do and they're being cycled through refurbishment fairly quickly. That a few Harrogate folk can't be bothered to do the research and enjoy a "free upgrade" isn't a big deal. They'll stand unless the guard tells them they can use the first class section, but guards almost certainly will tell them. They certainly won't PF them when there's no justification for doing so.

You're still missing my point. People may fear a PF if they think it's 1st - I know they won't *get* one as Northern do not operate any 1st other than the slightly bizarre hybrid of the Class 185s. A few stickers saying it's Standard are not hard and avoid the problem.

Obviously those in the know like the exclusivity of knowing (just like the rather silly system on Thameslink which would be solved with a prominent sticker saying "When at the back of the train this area is available to Standard ticket holders"), but it isn't fair at all.

johntea

Established Member
I can't remember which one it was, 09:29 Leeds to Harrogate this morning though in the Northern branding - I had to walk right to the third carriage (nearest to the driver) to find plug/usb sockets that were actually pumping out any power!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
You're still missing my point. People may fear a PF if they think it's 1st - I know they won't *get* one as Northern do not operate any 1st other than the slightly bizarre hybrid of the Class 185s. A few stickers saying it's Standard are not hard and avoid the problem.

Obviously those in the know like the exclusivity of knowing (just like the rather silly system on Thameslink which would be solved with a prominent sticker saying "When at the back of the train this area is available to Standard ticket holders"), but it isn't fair at all.
I'm not missing your point, I just think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. On the Thameslink thing I agree, as that's a situation that won't change. I assume that the 170s with 1st will be a priority for refurbishment due to their lower capacity- as much as I'll miss the freebie first it'd make sense.

TrainTube

Currently Harrogate line, Selby locals, one per day loaned to TPE for the Huddersfield stopper. Talk of them shifting onto Nottinghams to ease wear on the drivetrain.
Cheers, I will be at Leeds between 1345 and 1445 on 19th February and I was wondering whether the 170 would operate one of those services. Would love to see one.

Class455

Established Member
170477 isn't refurbished

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
We've had units with first class on the Huddersfields two days running (456 yesterday, 454 today). Assume this is a coincidence of the random unit generator rather than deliberate, but long may it continue!

HullRailMan

Lots of driver training runs between Hull/York/Doncaster over recent days plus a 170 parked in the sidings at Hull. Any idea when they enter service round here?

superkev

Established Member
Lots of driver training runs between Hull/York/Doncaster over recent days plus a 170 parked in the sidings at Hull. Any idea when they enter service round here?
Assuming there for Sheffield to Hull and Bridlington hopefully they will get out of 1st gear (65) and anyone know how many units will be required.
Perhaps there moving them off the Harrogate line.
Also strange they haven't appeared on the Calder Valley which would seem a good match.
To recap 16 units currently used on Harrogate, York, Selby, Huddersfield; and also Doncaster when there short of emu's.
K

Adam0984

They are for Sheffield to Bridlington so will get a good run but they’re getting a good run on the Leeds to Selbys too. As far as I know they’re sticking around on the Harrogate line. I think the Manchester route has been shelved in favour of the Sheffield area gaining them

Status
Not open for further replies.