• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 170's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bantamzen

Established Member
All ready in platform 5 for the first trip on the loop in the morning

Pulled in alongside it on this morning, looking good even it the de-branded ScotRail livery. The passengers for the 07:00 will get a pleasant surprise this this morning with it waiting for them!! Had I not have to start early this morning I might have been tempted to ride up a couple of stops on it!! It will be interesting to see what the fully refurbished 170s are like inside as well as out.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johntea

Established Member
Does anyone know what shifts it (they? I certainly saw more than one whizzing about this morning on the line from the comfort of my 153 seat!) is running late afternoon/early evening so I can work out the best time to strategically leave work? ;)

Kieran1990

Does anyone know what shifts it (they? I certainly saw more than one whizzing about this morning on the line from the comfort of my 153 seat!) is running late afternoon/early evening so I can work out the best time to strategically leave work? ;)

I believe 2 are out on the xx:59 Leeds- knasbourghs and one is out on the xx:28 Leeds- York

Starmill

Veteran Member
Anyone snap a photo this morning?
In particular, one of the inside of 476.

Last edited:

Rail Blues

Pulled in alongside it on this morning, looking good even it the de-branded ScotRail livery. The passengers for the 07:00 will get a pleasant surprise this this morning with it waiting for them!! Had I not have to start early this morning I might have been tempted to ride up a couple of stops on it!! It will be interesting to see what the fully refurbished 170s are like inside as well as out.

EVEN in the debranded livery? IMO it looks infinitely better in debranded Scotrail livery as a) it is in a sensible colour that means it doesn't spend October to March a fetching shade of sludge brown. b) the logo actually communicates something about the company and its location, rather than looking like something intended for a toddler's playgroup c) will last beyond the current operator so we don't have to to have another fresh set of visual horrors inflicted on us a few years down the line.

Don't get me wrong I think the 170 looks about the best of the bunch in northern 's daft livery, but it isn't a patch on Scotrail.

Should any

Bantamzen

Established Member
EVEN in the debranded livery? IMO it looks infinitely better in debranded Scotrail livery as a) it is in a sensible colour that means it doesn't spend October to March a fetching shade of sludge brown. b) the logo actually communicates something about the company and its location, rather than looking like something intended for a toddler's playgroup c) will last beyond the current operator so we don't have to to have another fresh set of visual horrors inflicted on us a few years down the line.

Don't get me wrong I think the 170 looks about the best of the bunch in northern 's daft livery, but it isn't a patch on Scotrail.

Should any

I actually quite like the look of the livery personally, but it is subjective. However Northern will need to up their external cleaning regime as you say, otherwise they'll look like some of the VTECs that were looking a little worse for the winter. Whether that will happen remains to be seen of course, although as a regular commuter you get to notice the winter grime on all liveries!

John C

170478 is the second 170 out today and is currently working the 11:03 Knaresborough-Leeds and should then work the 11:59 return.
Another 170 update, 170476 is currently on the 11:11 York-Harrogate-Leeds and should work the 12:29 return

ash39

Established Member
170478 is the second 170 out today and is currently working the 11:03 Knaresborough-Leeds and should then work the 11:59 return.

Looks like the 1159 ex-Leeds was cancelled. Not sure what this means for the rest of its diagram.

By my reckoning, 170476 should work 2C66 later (1829 LDS-YRK) . I'm hoping to have a look at the refurb and get some photos so would appreciate if anyone could keep me updated on its wherabouts later in the day.

Rail Blues

I actually quite like the look of the livery personally, but it is subjective. However Northern will need to up their external cleaning regime as you say, otherwise they'll look like some of the VTECs that were looking a little worse for the winter. Whether that will happen remains to be seen of course, although as a regular commuter you get to notice the winter grime on all liveries!
Fair point beauty being in the eye of the beholder and all that.q Given Northern''s 'will this do? ' approach to train maintenance, I can't see them looking spice and span after two or three winters.

John C

Some interior pictures of refurbished 170476

https://www.flickr.com/photos/railphotosonline/41531903934/in/dateposted/

From my observations the refurbishment consists of:
- new seat covers
- Interior repaint (existing emergency procedures above the doors look to of been painted around)
- new carpets
- power sockets both plug and usb (2 sockets at each table seat, haven’t seen if the non table seats have charging points)
- the PIS is the existing one currently displaying “Turbostar Class 170”

Bantamzen

Established Member

- new seat covers
- Interior repaint (existing emergency procedures above the doors look to of been painted around)
- new carpets
- power sockets both plug and usb (2 sockets at each table seat, haven’t seen if the non table seats have charging points)

For me it looks quite good, not dissimilar to the SouthRail fitting and obviously aimed at looking more like the Connect standard when that finally rolls out. So nothing spectacular, but for the good folk along the Harrogate line a big improvement.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

- new seat covers
- new carpets

Wow, that colour scheme *really* works in my eyes. An excellent looking job.

Though I'm astonished at the effort that must have gone into masking off an emergency procedures sign rather than just painting over it and sticking another one on top! :)

Bantamzen

Established Member

387star

On Moderation

- new seat covers
- new carpets
Wow very smart

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
One white door looks odd (rather than bringing the blue bit closer to the cab and making the "sad face" "balloons" smaller), but it probably suits the livery best of all, no doubt because of the "window band" effect of the ribbon glazing.

MatthewRead

On Moderation

- new seat covers
- new carpets
Kind of reminds me of the Network South East upholstery:)

Established Member
Blimey I bet some of the regular punters were shocked, looks nice from the Photo's and probably will be Northern's best train given that the new trains will be getting improved Ironing Boards.

I have always found the Scotrail 170's to be fairly comfortable even on the Inverness run, though the Scots moan about them not being an IC Train, certainly good enough for Northern's routes.

rich-leeds

I agree, very relieved that Northern has limited its improvements to the seating to only recovering the existing decent seats and leaving the layout unchanged - I really feared for ironing boards.

Genuinely 'transformational' for the Harrogate line, which had regular pacer turns very recently. I travelled up to Horsforth from Leeds and back earlier - out on a Northern refurb 150/1 and back on a pre refurb 170. Really struck by positive impact of aircon on way back much quieter journey on the 170, and nice and cool. This is the sort of change that will really help grow the rail market, particularly outside the peaks.

johntea

Established Member
Just on the 08:07 Leeds to Knaresborough which is a 170, sadly the carriage I’m sat in at least doesn’t seem to have plug/usb sockets at either the seats or the tables but the one I caught yesterday did!

Status
Not open for further replies.