• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 170's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

superkev

Established Member
I think its about time we got them on the S+C. The inefficency of them must be making Northern frustrated.
That's doesnot seem a good idea as the S and C sadly like the Harrogate line has a 60mph limit so 170s would not get out of 1st gear (65mph reqd).
Sheffield to Hull and Brid, Calder Valley, Leeds Nottngham and prob some from Manchester would be my choice.
Pity they can refer them for Northerens slower network.
K

Railweigh

That's doesnot seem a good idea as the S and C sadly like the Harrogate line has a 60mph limit so 170s would not get out of 1st gear (65mph reqd).
Sheffield to Hull and Brid, Calder Valley, Leeds Nottngham and prob some from Manchester would be my choice.
K

170’s start on the Sheffield-Hull run on Monday.

Halifaxlad

Established Member
K

I would how difficult it would be to upgrade the S+C to 65 or 70 ?

My general thoughts was somewhere where they at least had a decent run without dawdling as opposed to pretty much everything between Leeds & Harrogate.

superkev

Established Member
I would how difficult it would be to upgrade the S+C to 65 or 70 ?

My general thoughts was somewhere where they at least had a decent run without dawdling as opposed to pretty much everything between Leeds & Harrogate.
Im sure it would be easy to increase speeds on the main line constructed S and C but Network rail are short of cash and have no real incentive to increase line speeds as higher speeds equals higher maintenance costs. Witness the steam days 70mph overall limit on the recently electrified Preston Blackpool.
K

rich r

What services do the 170's run on now that the timetable has changed?

Not Selby to Leeds any more. We're back to crappy purple Class 140 Pacers :( I'd forgotten how much they jar my back compared to the 170s. The 170 seats might be firmer, but they're more supportive and the chassis doesn't lurch about in that special way a Pacer does.

Monkeyhead

Yep, at Garforth this morning, what used to be a reasonably comfortably loaded 170 was back to a 2 carriage 158. Cue stood in the aisles and people getting left behind at Crossgates, just like the bad old days.

anamyd

On Moderation
Not Selby to Leeds any more. We're back to crappy purple Class 140 Pacers :( I'd forgotten how much they jar my back compared to the 170s. The 170 seats might be firmer, but they're more supportive and the chassis doesn't lurch about in that special way a Pacer does.
There was only 1 140 built, and even the 141s came off National Rail in 1998. Northern have 142s and 144s! It's likely you were on a 142 :)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
There was only 1 140 built, and even the 141s came off National Rail in 1998. Northern have 142s and 144s! It's likely you were on a 142 :)
I was going to comment that if it was a 140 it would've been rammed with Pacer fans wanting some rare red-pennage, but figured it was a typo rather than a misidentification.

The 140 is currently "on bricks" somewhere in Scotland.

anamyd

On Moderation
I was going to comment that if it was a 140 it would've been rammed with Pacer fans wanting some rare red-pennage, but figured it was a typo rather than a misidentification.

The 140 is currently "on bricks" somewhere in Scotland.
:Dthanks for the info

rich r

I probably should have typed 14x to mean the related classes ;) Yes it was a 142.

Harvey B

Does anyone know what other services the 170s are now running on? (excluding Bridlington to Sheffield)

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Just heard a 170 go past my house (the Hull-Scarborough Line is about 100m from my house) - it certainly makes a change from the usual Sprinter!

alangla

Any idea why Northern are having so many problems? Fife isn’t exactly quick and they seem to do ok there.

alangla

Are you on about 170's? If not then I think you've posted this in the wrong thread
Yes - I don’t see why the routes that Northern are using 170s on are more arduous than the ones ScotRail used the exact same units on. Is it because they only do slow stuff now whereas they used to get a more varied set of routes in Scotland? Bear in mind the SPT ones (17047x) were originally ordered to basically run between Glasgow and Dunblane or do glacially slow routes like Anniesland and Falkirk Grahamston, not for constant 100mph stuff, though they did get out & about more as time went on.

Harvey B

Yes - I don’t see why the routes that Northern are using 170s on are more arduous than the ones ScotRail used the exact same units on. Is it because they only do slow stuff now whereas they used to get a more varied set of routes in Scotland? Bear in mind the SPT ones (17047x) were originally ordered to basically run between Glasgow and Dunblane or do glacially slow routes like Anniesland and Falkirk Grahamston, not for constant 100mph stuff, though they did get out & about more as time went on.
I didn't understand what you meant which is why I asked, thanks

Phlip

I’ve seen no evidence outside of this forum that Northern are having any significant problems.

Harvey B

Sorry if I'm getting annoying if anyone thinks that but what happens to the 170s running the Sheffield to Bridlington services? Do they transfer by an ECS, do they interwork a service that runs from either Leeds to Sheffield (or York to Hull) or are they just stabled somewhere between Sheffield and Brid?

TC60054

Sorry if I'm getting annoying if anyone thinks that but what happens to the 170s running the Sheffield to Bridlington services? Do they transfer by an ECS, do they interwork a service that runs from either Leeds to Sheffield (or York to Hull) or are they just stabled somewhere between Sheffield and Brid?
There looks to be a morning ECS from Holbeck (Leeds) to Hull, 5K40 (http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y60687/2019/05/21/advanced) which then looks to form the 0630 Hull to Sheffield - I wouldn't be amazed if this is a 170 or two, and there's some equivalent return paths in an evening.

170TurboFan

Been on the Harrogate Line today, they now have 3tph to Leeds from Harrogate with 1 service which runs at 02 the hour stopping at Hornbean Park and Horsforth only to Leeds from Harrogate, all 3 car 170s today apart from one service using a 155 unit on 2C94 1311 York to Leeds. Rolling stock used that I could obtain TOPS numbers from were 170474, 170475, 170455, 170454

Last edited:

Harvey B

Do Northern still lease one 170 a day to TPE or has that stopped now that the new timetable has come in?

Status
Not open for further replies.