• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern franchise awarded to Arriva.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

XC90

Ah well, there goes ScotRail staff's entitlement to free travel in northern England and vice versa! Compounded by the loss of TPE entitlement in April.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I notice that York - Scarborough gets an hourly Northern in addition to the TPE.

Some really good news for some of my favourite routes. Hopefully the Whitby branch will get a few more additionals.

Apparently the Hallam line retains its existing frequency even though the Nottinghams are diverted away. It will be a lost opportunity if Normanton doesn't finally get a service fit for the 21st century.

Looks like the Mk 2's are staying on the Cumbrian Coast :D

Last edited:

markydh

This is the NEXUS take on it: -

Rail passengers in the North East will feel the benefit from new trains, more frequent services and smart ticket travel as part of a franchise deal between local councils and the Department for Transport announced today.

The deal will also bring greater local powers to hold train companies to account and ensure they deliver services in line with their franchise agreements.

The North East Combined Authority and Tees Valley Unlimited partnership have worked together to secure a better deal for passengers in two new rail franchises serving the North of England.

A new North East Rail Management Unit, the first of its kind in the country, will see Northern’s services in the North East, marketing, development and investment decisions developed in partnership with the North East Combined Authority and Tees Valley Unlimited for the first time, within the wider Rail North structure.

Improvements in the new Northern rail franchise, awarded to Arriva Rail North, include:

Replacement of the antiquated Pacer train fleet by 2020 at the latest and the introduction of 281 newly-built carriages across the north of England.
Free wifi with on-demand entertainment and real-time passenger information on all trains by 2020.
Formation of a North East Rail Management Unit devolving more influence on local rail provision to our region than anywhere else in the country.
The new franchisee to join and participate in existing multi-operator and multi-modal smart tickets, including the successful Pop brand already being rolled-out in the North East.
A distinct Northern Regional Passenger Service for longer-distance services by 2020 with air conditioning, tables, power sockets/USB chargers, and luggage space
Half-hourly services between Newcastle and Carlisle from December 2017 with direct express trains going on to Middlesbrough.
Hourly Sunday services between Newcastle and Middlesbrough via Sunderland and Hartlepool, calling at all stations.
Hourly services between Bishop Auckland and Darlington every day.
New Sunday services between Metrocentre and Morpeth from December 2017
A new morning peak service from Whitby into Middlesbrough arriving no later than 08:30 from December 2019.
Year-round Sunday services between Middlesbrough and Whitby, including an hourly frequency for all stations from Middlesbrough to Nunthorpe.
£30 million investment in Northern-manages stations across the whole franchise area.
Improvements in the new TransPennine rail franchise, retained by First Trans Pennine Express, include:
New 125mph intercity trains to help reduce journey times between core cities.
An new hourly service to Edinburgh via Morpeth from December 2019.
A doubling of the frequency between Newcastle and York, Leeds and Manchester, with regular direct connections to Manchester Airport restored from December 2016.
An hourly Sunday frequency from Middlesbrough towards Leeds and Manchester by December 2017, double the current service, with the first train of the day an hour earlier.
Discounted advance fares for 16- to 18-year-olds and jobseekers.

It is intended the North East Rail Management Unit, will act within Rail North on behalf of local authorities in the North East part of the Northern franchise, including services in Northumberland and to Carlisle, through Durham and the Tees Valley and to Whitby in North Yorkshire.

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
Rail passengers in the North East will feel the benefit from new trains
We're set to "feel the benefit", although it doesn't look as if we'll actually see any new trains ourselves. Ah well, we can at least expect to see class 158s between Middlesbrough, Newcastle and Carlisle, only turning the clock back to where it was fifteen years ago. ;)

To be fair, I don't mind terribly: The addition of express services between Middlesbrough and Newcastle, and Newcastle and Carlisle, is to be welcomed.

rp91

Talk of 6-cars on the Airedale and Ilkley lines - but will they fit at half the stations?

Wolf

Talk of 6-cars on the Airedale and Ilkley lines - but will they fit at half the stations?

Not unless the carriages are pacer length - 15.5m, without many platform extensions. The exceptions are bingley and keighley , all the other intermediate stations will only take 4 x 23m coaches, some at most with about 10m to spare. Even the new stations appley and kirkstall forge will need extending.

Marton

How will the Nunthorpe services link into the Middlesbrough. Newcastle services?

And will they have better connections for James Cook? At present they miss many connections by 5 or fewer minutes.

Wavertreelad

Could the Kirkby/Wigan service become part of the Merseyrail network once it is electrified which could be before the new Northern franchise expires? It could also explain the lack of any commitment for Halton Curve local services which might also be linked to electrification of services from Chester to Manchester and eventually the CLC route from Liverpool to Manchester.

Andyh82

Established Member
Is Bradford Interchange to Leeds increasing to 6 trains an hour?

It says that Halifax will gain an extra service per hour to Bradford and Leeds, but then Bradford also gains the Nottingham service.

I certainly didn't expect the major improvements on the Lincoln line, from a relative backwater of pacers taking all week to get from Sheffield to Lincoln to a fast service with brand new trains is quite an improvement.

I can't see any mention of what is happening with the via Brighouse services, do I assume they are staying as they are, both stoppers same as now, both hourly? Presumably with sprinters, hopefully 158s.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Not so good though when you think about all the reliability issues that they've had with the class 37's though.

As it happens, I couldn't see anything about the 37's on the website, so perhaps an alternative traction solution will emerge ?

66Yorks

I noticed this as well. Will be good for the Scarborough Cricket Festival in August. :)

I notice that York - Scarborough gets an hourly Northern in addition to the TPE.

Some really good news for some of my favourite routes. Hopefully the Whitby branch will get a few more additionals.

Apparently the Hallam line retains its existing frequency even though the Nottinghams are diverted away. It will be a lost opportunity if Normanton doesn't finally get a service fit for the 21st century.

Looks like the Mk 2's are staying on the Cumbrian Coast :D

superkev

Established Member
sockets have been rather hopeless and the air con wasn't touched but as a refresh not too bad and of course you wont have the garden shed engineering cabinet for the etcs stuff like we do!
Does the air conditioning in the Arriva 158's work when the sun shines unlike Northern which in my experience usually gives up.
K

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Seemed good reliability to me

Not what I've read. From what I've read the fact that there so many stops on the Cumbrian Coast route is not doing the class 37's any good at all, which in turn is having a negative effect on their reliability.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As it happens, I couldn't see anything about the 37's on the website, so perhaps an alternative traction solution will emerge ?

Well the class 68's might make a good replacement if there are enough of them. However I do wonder whether it makes economic sense to have such a powerful loco running on that kind of service.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Not what I've read. From what I've read the fact that there so many stops on the Cumbrian Coast route is not doing the class 37's any good at all, which in turn is having a negative effect on their reliability.

Well the class 68's might make a good replacement if there are enough of them. However I do wonder whether it makes economic sense to have such a powerful loco running on that kind of service.

Do you have a source for this?

alexl92

Established Member
Was thikning about this earlier, but could a new locomotive in the type 2/type 3 power region be viable? Is there enough demand for them?

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Do you have a source for this?

HP Brown Sauce!

As part of his degree course my youngest son spent 12 months at Sellafield; wasn't at all impressed "with the trains with the rubbish doors that kept breaking down" and started using his car instead. Since then, from what I've read in the various railway magazines the situation hasn't improved.
Was thikning about this earlier, but could a new locomotive in the type 2/type 3 power region be viable? Is there enough demand for them?

I would have thought the answer is a firm no. All the work that was once by class 25's, 31's, 33's etc is now done by DMU's and that's been the case since the mid 1980's.

fowler9

Established Member
I'm guessing from what I have read so far that my service from West Allerton to Lime Street is going to be the same old stuff painted slightly differently every half an hour during the day? Maybe less 142's but we seemed to get our fair share of 156's anyway.

fowler9

Established Member
Perhaps one of our gifted forum members will produce and post a visual representation of the new livery...but I do ask that it is not on one of "Newton Heath's Finest".

Ha ha. I want to see a 142 painted up in DB colours or like a Berlin U Bahn. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.