• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

geoffk

Established Member
Is there a summary of where we are with Scotrail units coming to Northern?

I believe 158849 and 333001 are almost ready to return, with just some interior work needing finishing off.

158904 I believe is being done to the same spec as 158845. The only difference will be it won’t have reservations.

I’m glad work has started on the /9s. I find them awful units and the work is much needed on them!

anamyd

On Moderation
Is there a list in here somewhere of which units have been refurbished...?

Are the 158/9 fleet to work different diagrams then once all refurbs are complete?

No, as far as I’m aware the Perkins units (815-859) and two unknown Cummins units will get everything including reservations and will be transferring upto the North East to work up there. The rest of the Cummins units (including the /9s) will continue to run their normal diagrams out of Leeds

superkev

Established Member

simon7929

Only Newcastle drivers sign Heaton. They bring units off the shed to Central Station or sometimes Darlington depending on staff availability. A York man then takes them South. However with 170s I know that no drivers at Newcastle sign them.

Established Member
No, as far as I’m aware the Perkins units (815-859) and two unknown Cummins units will get everything including reservations and will be transferring upto the North East to work up there. The rest of the Cummins units (including the /9s) will continue to run their normal diagrams out of Leeds

158815-158862 are the 158s with Perkins engines. :)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Back when the /9s were ordered, WYPTE had originally wanted to order a further 10 155s but Leyland had shut the production line. If they'd got their wish, I assume they'd be Hull-bound.

superkev

Established Member
I was surprised to see that Newton Heath is listed has having 10 unrefurbished class 158s when I thought all Northern 158s where allocated to NL.
Anyone know what routes these 90mph units are allocated too.
Thanks
K