• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

YorksDMU

I have to make a correction. The PIS has just come on now we are on the move, and the screens are the other non scrolling screens.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

superkev

Established Member
I’m on refurbished 158904 at Scarborough awaiting the 16.20 departure to Hull.
I’ve noticed that it does not have Wifi or usb sockets. However the aircon is not working and the hopper windows are all open in each car.
The PIS is not working either.
Here is a photo’ of the unit earlier on at Beverley on the 13.30 to Hull running 6 mins late.
View attachment 68628
I think refurbishment is the wrong word as it's all cosmetic and above the solebar. The other day I noticed fresh out of works 158 90x issuing clouds of polluting black smoke when it set off. Northerns neglect of the air con is legendary.
K

Neptune

Established Member
I wouldn't imagine it being very warm at speed for the driver with the wind coming in from the gaping hole!
It’s just the plastic outer door that’s damaged. The main vestibule door would take a boulder at great speed to put a hole in it.

northernchris

Established Member
Thanks. Has it just had prm mods or repaint or more.
Didn't see it on RTT I wonder if any of the other cancelled trips to and from works ran later.
K

It's in unbranded Northern livery and retains the FGW seat covers / interior panels

jonesy3001

Established Member
Hang on i thought the movements for 150106 and 150127 got cancelled on tuesday, unless RTT was playing up again.

Also when is 323234 due back from wolverton as it's been spotted in the new colours but can only be seen when passing on a train.

superkev

Established Member

Established Member
seems like Northern are favouring to refurb the odd numbered units over the even numbered ones for some reason, the next two into refurb after this need to be odd numbered units IMHO

I don't think it really matters what order they go in tbh.

Apedlar12

Heard from someone at Exeter St Davids today, that 150202/207/216 are due to leave GWR for Northern at the end of this month, I thought it was a bit odd as 207 only went to GWR several months ago. If anyone could confirm anything it would be great :)

superkev

Established Member
Heard from someone at Exeter St Davids today, that 150202/207/216 are due to leave GWR for Northern at the end of this month, I thought it was a bit odd as 207 only went to GWR several months ago. If anyone could confirm anything it would be great :)
Have all the gw examples had there PRM mods.
K

OTRail

If you mean have all of GWR's 150s been modified to PRM standard, then yes they all have but I am slightly unsure about 207.
I’m pretty sure it has - I’ve seen pictures of it in GWR green livery and the external destination display is dot matrix

Tractor37

Yes they are coming to us at Northern but I’ve not heard an official date of their arrival. 3 more to tick of my to drive list.