• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

BigCj34

All the refurbished Northern 158’s to date have these new seats (with the exception off the 3 car units 158752-9 but I expect in time they too will receive them).
What's the obsession with changing seats? Do the ironing board seats allow more space? Seems unnecessary expenditure otherwise.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Neptune

Established Member
I spotted 158845 in Middlesbrough sidings today, looking nice and shiny on the outside. However, it appears to have the shocking ‘Iron board’ seats now!!! I thought that the 15* stock where keeping what ever seats they had and the new blue seat coverings applied. When I took part in the ‘pick a seat’ survey at Manchester, I most definitely didn’t vote for those. They ruin a very fine ex BR express unit in my opinion.

Kind regards.

Quantumspotter.
The seat roadshow exercise was just a typical early days PR stunt which meant absolutely nothing because a decision had already been made. After it all went quiet for a year or so after the events we were informed through internal communication that no winner was clear and the seat would be a design mixture of the 3 on display. Obviously this didn’t happen and a bog standard sub standard design was chosen. I think the powers that be hope that nobody remembers the seat roadshow.

John C

What's the obsession with changing seats? Do the ironing board seats allow more space? Seems unnecessary expenditure otherwise.

I recently travelled Leeds to Carlisle on one of the refurbished 158’s and I would say they certainly have more leg room. With regards to changing the seats I would imagine it is to bring the interior upto more modern standards and give a similar looks and feel to the new 195/331’s.

BigCj34

I recently travelled Leeds to Carlisle on one of the refurbished 158’s and I would say they certainly have more leg room. With regards to changing the seats I would imagine it is to bring the interior upto more modern standards and give a similar looks and feel to the new 195/331’s.

So presumably a case of same number if seats but more space as they're slimmer, like the new Ryanair seats?

The Sprinter seats have usually been comfortable but the legroom is rubbish, the 195 seats are quite hard. Hard seats are a gripe I have with the newer trains coming in (though the FLIRT's are notably comfier than the GA regional trains being replaced).

Harvey B

The seat roadshow exercise was just a typical early days PR stunt which meant absolutely nothing because a decision had already been made. After it all went quiet for a year or so after the events we were informed through internal communication that no winner was clear and the seat would be a design mixture of the 3 on display. Obviously this didn’t happen and a bog standard sub standard design was chosen. I think the powers that be hope that nobody remembers the seat roadshow.
Wasn't the ironing board one of the 3 seats in the roadshow

superkev

Established Member
Wasn't the ironing board one of the 3 seats in the roadshow
Theres an excellent feature in this months Modern Railways by Ian W with a picture from the road show. The public all chose the one at the front and Northern chose the el cheapo at the back.
K

Roger B

Yes. The other 2 choices were vastly superior compared to the budget one they chose.
Be interesting to know what the price difference per seat was.

Let's say the seat has a projected life of 10 years, and the unit works 300 days per year, with an average ten journeys per day (which is something of an underestimate I know), with only one passenger using it per journey (again an underestimate, especially for cross city traffic), that equates to 30,000 journeys. So if the cost of purchasing a seat increased by £300, that would add less than 1p to the cost of a journey, and probably significantly less - perhaps nearer 0.1p.

Doesn't this show that penny-pinching on cost of seats to be complete madness, given that so much of the passenger experience is via the seat on which the passengers is sitting.

modernrail

The whole Northern refubishment programme is a joke. Poor design choices, poor build quality, lies about customer preference on seat choice, not dealing with historic problems such as acute lack of legroom on some train types, taking absolutely ages, stupid use of flat cloth, dreadful gibberish PIS, trains dirty very quickly, bad cleaning regime meaning refubished sets look naff already.

Merseyrail were able to do a vastly superior job with an older fleet and SWT/Southern stock from the same era looks and feels much better from a refurb undertaken many years ago now. That stock is about to be replaced.

It would be nice to think the remainder of the programme could be improved if the franchise is taken in house. There will be loads of suitable seats coming from ex SWT and Merseyrail services soon that would be an upgrade on the seats on most of the Northern fleet. They should just use those to save cash whilst delivering something that is actually objectively better.

Nymanic

I certainly wouldn't object to all those SWR Class 455 seats being fitted to Northern's 150 fleet (heck, transplant the entire internal layout as-is), but wouldn't safety regulations prevent it? I don't think those 455 seats meet to most up-to-date crashworthiness standards, even if they are newer than what they'd replace.

With the franchise on its way out, though, I don't expect such an ambitious refit to happen.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Northern do seem to have a bit of a habit of replacing what's fine and leaving what needs to be replaced !

modernrail

I certainly wouldn't object to all those SWR Class 455 seats being fitted to Northern's 150 fleet (heck, transplant the entire internal layout as-is), but wouldn't safety regulations prevent it? I don't think those 455 seats meet to most up-to-date crashworthiness standards, even if they are newer than what they'd replace.

With the franchise on its way out, though, I don't expect such an ambitious refit to happen.

Well if those crash regulations come from the EU maybe a cheeky derogation might be in order. Might as well get a more comfortable seat to watch the general shambles that ....I will stop there.

I would be slightly surprised if they do fail for such low speed services though bearing in mind they don't look that different to what is in the 185s that run faster.

Nymanic

Well if those crash regulations come from the EU maybe a cheeky derogation might be in order.

UK regulations are much stricter than EU ones, for reasons that evade me. If only the regs "came from the EU" - it would open up the market, rather than limit us to just one or two compliant yet deeply polarising designs...

185 and SWR 455 seats (both Grammer?) were compliant at the time they were fitted, but I don't think they are now (unless someone can correct me).

modernrail

Why gold plate the seat when you can gold plate the regulation! Much more comfortable.

This must be one of those advantages that have been talked about, where we can now impose higher standards, except of course we already could.

Harvey B

I was at Forster square today and I noticed that 333001 has had it's seats recovered so that the middle is only dark blue rather than the moquette design found on the refurbished 323s

py_megapixel

Established Member
I don't understand why you would replace the 158 seats and leave the ones on the 150s. I personally find the 158 ones far more comfortable. As for legroom, 150s are some of the only stock I've been on where there are seats which I can't sit in due to leg length.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Northern do seem to have a bit of a habit of replacing what's fine and leaving what needs to be replaced !
Exactly. To be completely honest, I'd be happier if the entire Sprinter fleet (except possibly the 158s) went, given some of the relatively modern stock being replaced elsewhere in the country. It still baffles me that Sprinters, at around 40 years old, are running for the foreseeable future with a mediocre refurb, while a replacement was ordered for the 185s while they are still relatively new, and the 707s before they even were introduced!

4REP

Is losing the northern franchise going to affect the refurbishment programme to the Northern train fleet?