• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overground/Crossrail takeover of Greater Anglia inners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shunter_69

The new rosters have a week of 9 hour shifts on Romford - Upminster. Won't be the most popular turn!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
The TfLRail name, and another thing to add to route maps, seems unnecessarily complicated for passengers.

Okay, so Crossrail wouldn't have made sense when it isn't actually finished, and old stock with Crossrail would have 'devalued' the brand - but I am not sure this is better than having gone with LO until Crossrail was ready, and rebranded again then.

Those are mistakes. TfL branding convention is that London Overground and TfL Rail will be shown as separate to National Rail. I've attached some images of the new branding.

Seven Sisters station is after the bridge over the GOBLIN, it's shown as before on that LO map. Obviously the maps aren't geographically accurate but they should at least be railway line accurate!

JaJaWa

Established Member
Seven Sisters station is after the bridge over the GOBLIN, it's shown as before on that LO map. Obviously the maps aren't geographically accurate but they should at least be railway line accurate!

Does anyone know why it doesn't have a connector to South Tottenham?

LLivery

Established Member
The TfLRail name, and another thing to add to route maps, seems unnecessarily complicated for passengers.

Okay, so Crossrail wouldn't have made sense when it isn't actually finished, and old stock with Crossrail would have 'devalued' the brand - but I am not sure this is better than having gone with LO until Crossrail was ready, and rebranded again then.

The LO West Anglia's will be in exactly the same state while TfL Rail is around so its just branding for brands sake. TfL make things more complicated then claims its making things simpler. If it was making things more simple it wouldn't have removed double arrows in the first place and wouldn't have route names like "Highbury & Islington to New Cross/Clapham Junction/Crystal Palace/West Croydon". Network South East would have never of done this nonsense.

Last edited:

Dan27

When TFL/CR take over the Liv St to Shenfield service will this mean the few Class 315s housed at SouVic be relocated to Ilford?

Established Member
The 6 315s at Southend will go to Shenfield, and the 6 321s at Shenfield take their place. So no more 315s to Southend.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
:D and its no longer being part of AGA because ............. Boris said so !!
Is this not actually a DfT wheeze, to get rid of some awkward little lines from the franchising map as part of their "price" for devolution. There were rumours that the "push-and-pull" (Greenford branch) might possibly go the same way: http://www.londonreconnections.com/2013/price-oranges-dft-ask-tfl-take-greenford-upminster/

The LO West Anglia's will be in exactly the same state while TfL Rail is around so its just branding for brands sake. TfL make things more complicated then claims its making things simpler.
There is a difference, and that is that Overground services are operated by Lorol, and that TfL Rail services are to be operated by MTR Corporation (Crossrail) Limited. I can foresee some confusion from within all parties concerned if they both had the same name but own different things and do different things.

jon0844

Veteran Member
The passenger doesn't care about this sort of thing, although a good point has been raised that in the future as LO continues to expand, it will need a better way to show individual routes - especially as not all lines link up nice and easily.

Seeing on the tube that Liverpool Street now has yet another block added for TfLRail is just silly. Sure, it will eventually switch to Crossrail, but why change things now? Why couldn't TfLRail just come under the BR logo and act like an ordinary TOC. Greater Anglia doesn't have its own mention.

It's not a massive problem, sure, but I do think it has been done more for TfL to promote itself as something different (better?) than National Rail, and adds no real value for most of the travelling public - until Crossrail is actually finished and ready to go with new stations, new trains etc.

bicbasher

Established Member
The real noticeable change for WA/Shenfield stopper passengers who use Oyster PAYG/Contactless will find their fares slightly cheaper, along with the fact that they'll no longer get stung for the Zone 1 cross mode premium when changing at Liverpool Street (or Walthamstow Central).

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's not a massive problem, sure, but I do think it has been done more for TfL to promote itself as something different (better?) than National Rail, and adds no real value for most of the travelling public - until Crossrail is actually finished and ready to go with new stations, new trains etc.
I suspect however that most of the public will find the service better even in the interim before the new trains, as customers notice more secure and better staffing arrangements and a deep clean of stations and trains. Even in the interim stage, the branding and public awareness is a key part of that.

jon0844

Veteran Member
The real noticeable change for WA/Shenfield stopper passengers who use Oyster PAYG/Contactless will find their fares slightly cheaper, along with the fact that they'll no longer get stung for the Zone 1 cross mode premium when changing at Liverpool Street (or Walthamstow Central).

I've been using Oyster almost all the time at Cheshunt, so what will really change from next month?

I suspect however that most of the public will find the service better even in the interim before the new trains, as customers notice more secure and better staffing arrangements and a deep clean of stations and trains. Even in the interim stage, the branding and public awareness is a key part of that.

Well, Twitter seems to be full of people that are so happy AGA called it a day and threw in the towel, and TfL will make everything all wonderful because Abellio didn't have a clue.

I do hope they aren't disappointed!

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've been using Oyster almost all the time at Cheshunt, so what will really change from next month?
TfL fares outside of zone 3 are lower than the NR fares. You also don't pay the mixed-mode premium for changing onto LU into zone 1.

badassunicorn

When TFL put these services on their map its like they never even existed before! They say it is there to make travel easier, so why only add them on when they take a line over. Its all PR and stuff with TFL, chucking cash at things until it works. I had the option of a Crossrail job but changed depots in order to avoid them!

bicbasher

Established Member
The Oyster/Contactless off-peak fare to Liverpool Street creeps up slightly. Currently the Zone 1-3 fare is £2.40, this will be £2.80 however this is negated if you continue your journey on LU.

Be3G

Established Member
TfL fares outside of zone 3 are lower than the NR fares. You also don't pay the mixed-mode premium for changing onto LU into zone 1.

The biggest change I'm looking forward to is getting a zone 6–2 off-peak journey for only £1.50. That might just manage to get me using the trains again rather than slow buses.

LLivery

Established Member
There is a difference, and that is that Overground services are operated by Lorol, and that TfL Rail services are to be operated by MTR Corporation (Crossrail) Limited. I can foresee some confusion from within all parties concerned if they both had the same name but own different things and do different things.

They manage to have different operations perfectly fine with the 8,000 London Buses, I'm sure they can manage it with a rather small 14 station route.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The passenger doesn't care about this sort of thing, although a good point has been raised that in the future as LO continues to expand, it will need a better way to show individual routes - especially as not all lines link up nice and easily.

Seeing on the tube that Liverpool Street now has yet another block added for TfLRail is just silly. Sure, it will eventually switch to Crossrail, but why change things now? Why couldn't TfLRail just come under the BR logo and act like an ordinary TOC. Greater Anglia doesn't have its own mention.

Exactly. If anything is confusing it is Virgin Trains and Virgin Trains East Coast.

Last edited:

Established Member
......Its all PR and stuff with TFL, chucking cash at things until it works.......

There seems to be some truth in that. It would be interesting to see what a TOC could do if it had access to the financial resources that are available to TfL, instead of trying to run everything on a shoestring.

AM9

Veteran Member
There seems to be some truth in that. It would be interesting to see what a TOC could do if it had access to the financial resources that are available to TfL, instead of trying to run everything on a shoestring.

It would depend on how their shareholders felt about not wringing every penny out of the contract.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Looking at the construction work at Shenfield (new plat 6 and new drivers depot) the new siding at Chadwell Heath etc etc and that it seems they will have a massive excess of drivers etc etc it would seem that money is no object to ensure the Crossrail project is a success.

Enfield Town is in the process of being repainted into Overground beige, with several Overground-style benches partially installed. I'd guess this would be the 'reveal' station.

Fingers crossed they'll launch by announcing they'll improve off-peak frequencies on the Enfield/Cheshunt service.

EM2

Established Member
Well, Twitter seems to be full of people that are so happy AGA called it a day and threw in the towel, and TfL will make everything all wonderful because Abellio didn't have a clue.

I do hope they aren't disappointed!
Very much like those that wanted FCC gone, and were over the moon when GoVia took over.
That's turned out well... :D

As for Metro, in my experience there's been no difference between NatEx and AGA. Neither of them seemed to spend any money on stations or trains.
I'm not sure what TfL will do any different, except splash some paint about and have some staff around.

jon0844

Veteran Member
People regularly comment that AGA train seats are full of 'bed bugs' and germs, so I assume TfL will make them so hygienic that people will be able to eat off them.

Carlisle

Established Member
It would be interesting to see what a TOC could do if it had access to the financial resources that are available to TfL, instead of trying to run everything on a shoestring.

I think it was far more BR that had to do the above that most of todays TOCs :D

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
People regularly comment that AGA train seats are full of 'bed bugs' and germs, so I assume TfL will make them so hygienic that people will be able to eat off them.

What a load of tosh they tweet. I am so waiting for what they think will be a brave new world at the end of the month. How long before "Your're still using the same trains" gets sent. Idiots.

jon0844

Veteran Member
What a load of tosh they tweet. I am so waiting for what they think will be a brave new world at the end of the month. How long before "Your're still using the same trains" gets sent. Idiots.

It's quite amazing. Admittedly it's fairly small group of people that just post the same drivel over and over, egged on by RTs and engagement by the various anti-AGA Twitter accounts that love to **** stir, so probably not quite as widespread as it seems.

It's a wonder AGA has any time to deal with any other queries.

I wonder how long until the honeymoon period ends and TfL starts to get all the grief?

dk1

Veteran Member
It's quite amazing. Admittedly it's fairly small group of people that just post the same drivel over and over, egged on by RTs and engagement by the various anti-AGA Twitter accounts that love to **** stir, so probably not quite as widespread as it seems.

It's a wonder AGA has any time to deal with any other queries.

I wonder how long until the honeymoon period ends and TfL starts to get all the grief?

I don't see the regular trollers as have blocked them, their negativity & their ill manners from my little world haha. Im sure it wont take long & will provide us all with much amusement & debate even after the shiny new trains that are worthy of CrossRail branding start to make their mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.