• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pigeon Causes 6min Delay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
An overly inquisitive mouse managed to get in a signalling power transformer at Dagenham Heathway this morning, with rather disastrous results for both the c2c peak and the mouse. Bereft of life it's breathed it's last etc.

Jordy

Established Member
I was once on a 185 when a Pigeon boarded at Cleethorpes, it settled down in the vestibule and then alighted when the doors opened at Grimsby...

tempests1

Serious question, why aren't the 3rd rail tracksides littered with the dead corpses of foxes, badgers, cats etc.?

Or maybe they are!

A few years ago I worked as a signaller on a third rail line. The MOM's used to deal with animal's smoking under the conductor rail. They would take a local isolation and remove. The PWAY used bury them in a local lineside embankment. The signalbox was adjacant to the running lines, One morning I was early turn and drove in and parked up a fox cub was walking by close to the Cess side conductor rail, the cub then got too close to the juice there was a massive bang and the fox flew up into the air and landed a good fifteen foot away from the line it was not a nice sight. I heard a tale about a SWT Class 442 Wessex on a non stop run from Basingstoke to London Waterloo hitting a deer somewhere in the Winchfield area. The deer was ripped in half. The train then arrived at Waterloo with an almost intact top half of a deer stuck on the Buckeye coupler.

causton

Established Member
I was once on a 185 when a Pigeon boarded at Cleethorpes, it settled down in the vestibule and then alighted when the doors opened at Grimsby...

Similar story with 2 pigeons on a C stock train from Hammersmith to Goldhawk road (haha, hawk, etc) ... it was just me in the carriage on my lonesome, 2 pigeons walked in, "haha wouldn't it be funny if the doors closed"... and they did! They hopped off to walk towards some other pigeons at Goldhawk Road - perhaps they were being hoodlums :P

bluenoxid

Established Member
You've probably read this and thought what this all about. :)

Today while awaiting 2000 Bristol - Birmingham 220018 to couple up to 220030 I noticed a dead piegon in the coupling of 220030, I made a joke with the driver that's piegon mash in a moment. he laughed, so 22030 tries to couple to 220018 no joy. Tries again still no joy. So the driver gets out and tries to couple 220018 to 220030 no luck. Hang on a minute this pigeon is being disruptive. :) driver gets out on 220018, gets his Hand a takes the piegon out of 220030 and has another go. FINALLY were good to go :) everybody thought this was funny.

Anybody got any interesting stories about animals causing disruption. :)

A pair of 185's crippled after a bird flew into the coupler between the train whilst they were moving.

Zamracene749

As far as i'm aware, he should have been ok as long as he washed his hands with Dove soap....

....I'll get my coat.....

urgh, I wouldn't mind betting there's something in Health & Safety about removing mashed pigeons, particularly with one's bare hands. I admire his dedication to minimising delay, but I think I'd ask for a pair of gloves. :-/

davelew99

Had a few incidents just this year -

Was at BKQ and there was a loud band and a flash up the tunnel then some smoke started drifting onto the platform - pretty sure that was a dead animal of some sort, got caught in the 3rd rail.

Again at BKQ, there was what looked like a dead fox/badger on the line within the platform area.

Best one though was a pigeon managed to board a train at LIV and travelled with us until WAV when the Northern guard guided the pigeon off the train - all credit to him he did a good job!

Minilad

Established Member
I hate it when you hit a bird at speed and the body gets lodged in the windscreen wipers. Then it just lols there, sometimes with the eyes seemingly staring at you as if to say what did you do that for !!

ole man

At City Thameslink and By the Neutral Sections on the WCML at Crewe there are fake pigeons hanging from the OHLE structures.
The ones at City Thameslink are to stop the mess they make, the ones at Crewe are to stop the Pigeons tripping the circuit breakers.

pendolino

At City Thameslink and By the Neutral Sections on the WCML at Crewe there are fake pigeons hanging from the OHLE structures.
The ones at City Thameslink are to stop the mess they make, the ones at Crewe are to stop the Pigeons tripping the circuit breakers.

Loads of the older substations on the former Southern Region have fake plastic owls sat on the busbars to prevent pigeons landing and causing possible phase-to-phase faults. The sub at Lewes has been substantially modified recently - the owl now sits on the handrail at the top of the stairs into the signalbox!

sprinterguy

Established Member
Ah now if XC hadn't have removed their buffet cars they could have served pigeon pie!!
And pheasant, on a good day, depending on what the train hits during the course of its' journey. ;)

Saw a 91 pull into Newcastle one day with a couple of dead pheasants hanging freely from the coupling hook in such a way that it looked more like the driver had stopped off en route for a bit of shooting and had simply hung them there to collect at the end of his shift!

Reminds me actually of a play that was on Radio 4 a few years ago, about a train journey from London for a group of people going home for christmas where all manner of weird and wonderful delays occured en route. The line I remember is of the guard announcing over the PA as the train had come to a stand in the middle of nowhere that "we are sorry for the delay to this service, this is due to a flock of geese on the line ahead. We've tried honking at them but they just honk back." :)

Last edited:

mappman1000

Funniest pigeon and train moment I've experienced (not that I've had many), is on a District Line train from Earls Court to Olympia. The pigeon got on the coach, the doors shut. And it proceeded to fly up and down the coach, with people having to dodge it in flight. When the doors opened at Olympia, the pigeon shot out, nearly hitting the passengers on the platform. I'm sure a penalty fare from tfl is on the way to his nest!

Howardh

Established Member
Funniest pigeon and train moment I've experienced (not that I've had many), is on a District Line train from Earls Court to Olympia. The pigeon got on the coach, the doors shut. And it proceeded to fly up and down the coach, with people having to dodge it in flight. When the doors opened at Olympia, the pigeon shot out, nearly hitting the passengers on the platform. I'm sure a penalty fare from tfl is on the way to his nest!

I would have thought pigeons could be trained to spot fare-dodgers :idea:

Michael.Y

Established Member
Two animal related incidents to report from Wales -- a lovely pheasant which ended up nestling in the animal scoop on the Milford Haven service the other Sunday, again just hanging there like in a butchers' window.

And today, at Penmaenmawr -- minced sheep. We hit it, it went under, kicked ballast up into the underfloor of a Class 175 (how it didn't catch fire out of spite then and there I don't know...) and left behind for the unfortunate farmer to find later.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I would have thought pigeons could be trained to spot fare-dodgers :idea:

The pigeons could mark them on their heads so that the revenue staff know who to go for at the barriers...:lol::roll:

By the way, about those 91s hitting pheasants. I do hope they don't hit any when they are out of season; you can just imagine the driver getting hauled off at the next station to be charged with poaching...:lol:

Steve Bray

6 minutes is nothing.

On Friday 2nd November, the 0952 FGW Adelante from Paddington to Hereford was completely disabled when it hit a wood pigeon on the approach to Charlbury. An inspection at Charlbury revealed that the air system was leaking badly and could proceed no further. The train blocked the single line at Charlbury for 2 hours which caused heavy delays to other trains; the 1023 Worcester to London was delayed over 2 hours at Ascott under Wychwood and others were terminated short of their destinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.