• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Priv fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Hi all,

Sorry to drag up a new thread on an old question, however my search turned up threads a few years old and I'm sure the answer to my question has changed since then.

What tickets can I now get priv on? I will (finally) soon be starting my first job on the railway after years of trying, and I'm trying to work out what I'd be entitled to. Ie - is priv worth it over continuing to use my current 3year 16-25 rail card?

The TOC I will be working for I know already have a very good staff travel scheme due to the companies the parent owns, but I can't use their trains to visit the inlaws (but who's to say that's a bad thing?)

If this is in the wrong place, mods please feel free to move.

Thanks in advance,
Keiran

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

whoosh

Established Member
It used to be the full price peak tickets you got 75% off of.
From September 2014 until September 2015 a trial took place where off peak walk-up tickets were included as well.

This trial has been extended to September 2016.

http://www.atoc.org/about-atoc/rail-staff-travel/stop-press/

'Advance' tickets - tickets which MUST be bought in advance and tie you down to a specific train, are not eligible for a 'priv' discount.

You can't get a priv on a ticket that includes a London Travelcard, or a ticket to a London Zone. You can on a cross London ticket which includes the Underground as part of the journey.

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
75% off most walk up (super off peak, off peak and anytime) fares plus quite a good discount on many rail rovers and rangers. Discounts on sleeper tickets.

The only advantage you'll have with your 16-25 card is advances and that ain't much.

causton

Established Member
The only advantage you'll have with your 16-25 card is advances and that ain't much.

And First Class!

Personally I still have my 16-25 railcard for occasional First Class jaunts. Whether I renew it (I bought it well before I knew I would be working for the railway!) is another matter though...

beavercreek

I've never used my priv card as I've always asked the guard before I board if I'm ok to "get a lift" and having showed him/her my passes-I never paid yet.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Thanks all.

Will I just be issued a card or will I have to apply for one? Also how does the International travel work? (granted a years service....)

Dave1987

On Moderation
I've never used my priv card as I've always asked the guard before I board if I'm ok to "get a lift" and having showed him/her my passes-I never paid yet.

Just be careful you are not on a DOO train and get clobbered by some RPI's. I've known RPI's to penalty fare staff for no ticket.

tiptoptaff

Established Member

Have these been on long or short distances? I wouldn't wanna ask say on a route that might be a bit of a **** take

beavercreek

I've been to London a few times from the North-West and on local services when out shopping or a day out.Most guards I know would never charge a fellow railway person as they believe it should be free travel for all of us as in the old days.Saying that we do have a couple were I work who are over the top so beware.Obvoiusly I will stand if it's busy and never ask to sit in First Class.I would help should anything happen.

tsr

Established Member
Just be careful you are not on a DOO train and get clobbered by some RPI's. I've known RPI's to penalty fare staff for no ticket.

I know a couple of DOO / part-DOO routes where you will get away with it due to local culture, others where you most probably wouldn't. Local nuances apply and it's hard to know beforehand unless you're familiar, so no, I wouldn't try it!

I'm always happy to pay PRIV rate as I think it's a good deal when I get so much travel (including, for me, commuting) for free. I have had it waived on occasions and I have of course been grateful. I will do likewise at my discretion, in First or Standard so far as there is space in either. And I won't prioritise charging a member of staff doing my job 200 miles away the princely sum of 75p when there is a fare-dodging idiot three carriages away who has owed me £10 the last two days, though that's not the main reason, just one which you might use for rational argument.

Yabbadabba

When you say PRIV are you referring to your company staff discount card or PRIV CARD as in what safe guarded rail staff get because they worked for British Rail pre privatisation, because if it's the latter your not entitled to one being a new entrant to the railway. International coupons and the FIP CARDS are also restricted to ex British Rail safe guarded staff.

Minilad

Established Member
When you say PRIV are you referring to your company staff discount card or PRIV CARD as in what safe guarded rail staff get because they worked for British Rail pre privatisation, because if it's the latter your not entitled to one being a new entrant to the railway. International coupons and the FIP CARDS are also restricted to ex British Rail safe guarded staff.

No they are not. There might be some extra benefits for safeguarded staff but all rail staff can get a FIP card and use the majority of coupons

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'm always happy to pay PRIV rate as I think it's a good deal when I get so much travel (including, for me, commuting) for free. I have had it waived on occasions and I have of course been grateful. I will do likewise at my discretion, in First or Standard so far as there is space in either. And I won't prioritise charging a member of staff doing my job 200 miles away the princely sum of 75p when there is a fare-dodging idiot three carriages away who has owed me £10 the last two days, though that's not the main reason, just one which you might use for rational argument.

Likewise, I'd also rather pay a small amount just to make sure I'm ok. It only takes one person being a bit funny to spoil a good day out - so I'd much rather play it safe. On quite a few occasions when boarding at unstaffed stations I've had a free ride, which is always appreciated.

I don't charge staff who travel with me - but would expect assistance should I need it and do the same in return. In fact I actually have assisted an EC guard with a belligerent drunk who was ultimately convicted based on evidence from myself and others.

Bodiddly

Most of the railway family will let other staff travel on trains for free but be warned. With the growth of station ticket barriers, it can be a bit embarrassing to arrive at the gates and be met with a hired goon who will give you the third degree (Northern areas) also, it is a breach of your travel privileges to abuse your passes and you can actually lose your job for it if caught.
That said, as long as you always ask the guard BEFORE you get on the train, you should be fine. I have yet to be told no when I ask nicely!

tiptoptaff

Established Member

I refer to the PRIV card I entitled to in addition to my TOC's staff card as a TOC NewEntrant....the 75% off walk up fares one, and I know I'm not entitled to boxes.

craigybagel

Established Member
Thanks all.

Will I just be issued a card or will I have to apply for one? Also how does the International travel work? (granted a years service....)

You will be issued with one. As a new starter you can't apply for one yourself, your employer will apply on your behalf, and for your partner if they're eligible. From what I remember its one of the many forms you get to fill in during induction. I assume you got the control apprentice job? Either way congratulations! If that is the job you got, then you'll also get issued your company ID card, which acts as your travel pass for all the groups companies.

On the ATOC website there is a form you can fill out which gets you your FIP card once you're eligible. It also explains the process you have to go through to get free travel coupons for each country.

The ATOC staff travel card which new entrants are very much eligible for is pretty much universally known as the PRIV card, since it gives you PRIV fares. And as others have pointed out, new starters are entitled to FIP cards and coupons.

the sniper

Established Member

Wrong on this too... You're thinking about boxes. TOC new entrants normally get both a Staff Travel Pass and a TOC Priv Travel Card, the latter entitles you to the 75% off but doesn't feature any boxes.

455driver

Veteran Member

I don't think there is anything in this post that is correct!:roll:

PRIV is the 75% discount card which all TOC staff get ( l won't mention the stupidity that prevents NR staff getting it).
FIP is for all staff after a year's service.
BOXES is what the dinosaurs get that we don't.

Last edited:

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Once you have passed your "probationary period" and are in, you may also find that you can get other perks on TOCs run by the same company or as an added benefit.

SW staff get a 5 box deal for EMT & VT services and priv rates on the Seacat to the IoW. Personally I can't think of anything worse than travelling on a train after working on them all week! I only use my boxes if I'm really desperate to go somewhere or to meet up with friends.

I don't use my own TOC travel facilities at all, unless I have to go to London and then I can use a priv Oyster for most of the stuff I want to do in there, bar London Buses.

craigybagel

Established Member
If the OP has the job I think he's got, then he gets free travel on XC,ATW,Chiltern, Grand Central, T&W Metro and Arriva Buses throughout the West Midlands, North West and North Wales, pretty much from day 1. Definitely one of the best staff travel packages out there.

Minilad

Established Member
If the OP has the job I think he's got, then he gets free travel on XC,ATW,Chiltern, Grand Central, T&W Metro and Arriva Buses throughout the West Midlands, North West and North Wales, pretty much from day 1. Definitely one of the best staff travel packages out there.

Add to that London Overground. But I have never had anything official suggesting free travel on Arriva Buses

craigybagel

Established Member
Will check tomorrow. Not seen anything official one way or the other. Possibly a local agreement for ATW?

Quite possible. It's definitely written down somewhere up our way, and bus staff get reciprocal free travel with us. Only apllies for those regions of arriva buses I mentioned though.

6Gman

Established Member
I've been to London a few times from the North-West and on local services when out shopping or a day out.Most guards I know would never charge a fellow railway person as they believe it should be free travel for all of us as in the old days.Saying that we do have a couple were I work who are over the top so beware.Obvoiusly I will stand if it's busy and never ask to sit in First Class.I would help should anything happen.

I don't understand this comment. Unlimited free travel has never been available for most staff.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
You will be issued with one. As a new starter you can't apply for one yourself, your employer will apply on your behalf, and for your partner if they're eligible. From what I remember its one of the many forms you get to fill in during induction. I assume you got the control apprentice job? Either way congratulations! If that is the job you got, then you'll also get issued your company ID card, which acts as your travel pass for all the groups companies

Hi, yes I did! Awaiting medical and a start date but have been led to believe this will be fairly soon! Apologies in advance for any time in the next few years you call control and I sound like a nonce!

Thanks for the info too, good to know. I agree that it seems to be a very good company travel scheme, I guess Priv isn't going to be used much, as I can get almost anywhere I'd want to go with XC!

Phil.

Established Member

Quite right too. It's privilege not a right and privileges shouldn't be abused. I've noticed lately that more and more - particularly Virgin - ticket staff are asking to see the card when I produce a priv. ticket.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
SW staff get a 5 box deal for EMT & VT services and priv rates on the Seacat to the IoW. Personally I can't think of anything worse than travelling on a train after working on them all week! I only use my boxes if I'm really desperate to go somewhere or to meet up with friends.

Surely SWT staff get reciprocal travel on EMT and not just boxes?!

Status
Not open for further replies.