• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress of delivery of cascaded/refurbished/PRM modified stock to TFW/Wales and Borders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Caaardiff

You wouldn't see a set involved in an incident like that in the morning out in service later the same day.
I wasn't suggesting that was the case. There was no specified time and the 175 could've been left in Crewe or into another Depot, hence my question.

craigybagel

Established Member
I wasn't suggesting that was the case. There was no specified time and the 175 could've been left in Crewe or into another Depot, hence my question.
My apologies, looking back I realise I misread the meaning of your post.

sd0733

Established Member
150236 is the first of the 150s to begin its refurb. Should emerge in approx 3 weeks in TfW interior and exterior.

Parallel

Established Member
150236 is the first of the 150s to begin its refurb. Should emerge in approx 3 weeks in TfW interior and exterior.
Excellent. I imagine 150s (especially the interior) will look like smart little metro trains when in TfW’s livery.

Cardiff123

Established Member
It's been confirmed in RAIL magazine what was first published in Modern Railways in late December, that TfW are to keep on & PRM modify 9 of the 'temporary' 153s it took on last year. This piece says it'll be the 5 ex-GA and 4 ex-EMR 153s, but the toilets won't be modified, so I assume they'll be permanently locked or taken out.

20210204_232559.png

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Excellent. I imagine 150s (especially the interior) will look like smart little metro trains when in TfW’s livery.
Sows ear and silk purse ?
Yes 150s were an improvement on Derbys and Met Camms 35 years ago, but the industry has moved on.

Metro services should be electric these days.

Cardiff123

Established Member
Sows ear and silk purse ?
Yes 150s were an improvement on Derbys and Met Camms 35 years ago, but the industry has moved on.

Metro services should be electric these days.
In 3 years time on the Valleys they will be

JakeMurphy

Looks like there Is a 3B75 from Chester to Widnes tonight so another 175 off for refurbishment which must mean 175104 is back

Mrs. Fortescue

On Moderation
It's been confirmed in RAIL magazine what was first published in Modern Railways in late December, that TfW are to keep on & PRM modify 9 of the 'temporary' 153s it took on last year. This piece says it'll be the 5 ex-GA and 4 ex-EMR 153s, but the toilets won't be modified, so I assume they'll be permanently locked or taken out.

View attachment 89998
A sensible idea. Permanently coupled to another 153 with a modified toilet, there won’t be a need for one - thus keeping space for more seats.

Bikeman78

Established Member
A sensible idea. Permanently coupled to another 153 with a modified toilet, there won’t be a need for one - thus keeping space for more seats.
But it doesn't really help in terms of day to day operation. The 153/9 must run attached to something else and that will still be the case after the refurb.

Bikeman78

Established Member
There is plenty of 2 Car work they can do
I'm not disputing that but the refurb won't make any difference to their ability to replace Pacers. Currently there are some diagrams for single 153s, on the Heart of Wales for example.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I'm not disputing that but the refurb won't make any difference to their ability to replace Pacers. Currently there are some diagrams for single 153s, on the Heart of Wales for example.

Yes, the Shrewsbury to Crewe local and the Blaenau Ffestiniog Branch (Post Covid) are also singles. A PRM and a non-PRM vehicle can easily replace a Pacer which have a single toilet per 2 Cars although not PRM but with the route restrictions on 153s on much of the Valley Network they can't replace them directly. A hybrid pair are used on the Pembroke Dock Branch (2 sets a day), Chester/Crewe local, Chester/Liverpool and certain Cardiff/West Wales services.

craigybagel

Established Member
But it doesn't really help in terms of day to day operation. The 153/9 must run attached to something else and that will still be the case after the refurb.
It does buy time though - it means the non PRM 153s can stay in service beyond May without getting further extensions.

It might also help address the shocking condition the ex Anglia 153s arrived in - they are a world apart from the rest of the fleet.

Mrs. Fortescue

On Moderation
I’m well aware of that.

It does help in day-to-day operation. It boosts capacity. Can free up more 150s that are doing mainline work to go onto the valleys.

Mrs. Fortescue

On Moderation
It does buy time though - it means the non PRM 153s can stay in service beyond May without getting further extensions.

It might also help address the shocking condition the ex Anglia 153s arrived in - they are a world apart from the rest of the fleet.
They’re dreadful aren’t they?

The EMR ones are very nice, however. I do enjoy my morning commute on one of those, it’s normally a pair of 153s these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.