• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RailUK First Class Lounge Guide

calc7

Established Member
The EC lounge at KGX is quite poor now, as the fridges and coffee machines have been removed - I guess to the new lounge opening 18 March. Thermos flask coffee and room temp cans, the telly is there still. Not worth your £5 (or 50 loyalty points) IMHO.

I was in there last night and found it quite surprising. It looks really awkward, basically a trolley stood in the middle of the room with flasks of hot drinks, a few biscuits, crisps and cans of coke! :o

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

amcluesent

basically a trolley stood in the middle of the room

I see there's now a A4 note on the door apologising for the temporary arrangements until the move. AFAIK there isn't an EC employee on the front desk anymore, so pax who know the lounge is there are going in. Of course, EC have already taken the lounge sign from the front window!

MrJamesBrown

Attached should be a picture of the Cardiff Central lounge

d4b78059-d2d2-92ea.jpg

James

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

Ascot

Established Member
Attached should be a picture of the Cardiff Central lounge

[\IMG\]http://img.tapatalk.com/d4b78059-d2d2-92ea.jpg[\IMG\]

James

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

Many thanks I have updated the guide with your image. I have had to crop Happy Jack from the image to protect the innocent.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I have a picture of the Leicester lounge taken from my laptop webcam. It is not very clear but is better than nothing. Please resize as required.

Attachments

• LEI_Lounge.jpg
    LEI_Lounge.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 75

sonic2009

Established Member
Another Intresting note.

At Crewe Yesterday on Platform 6. A notice has apperared saying : If you have a long wait for the Caledonian Sleeper, please ask a member of Staff to allow you to use the Cheshire Lounge. Acess will only be granted on production of a Valid Sleeper Ticket.

I didn't get a picture :(

All Line Rover

Established Member
Another Intresting note.

At Crewe Yesterday on Platform 6. A notice has apperared saying : If you have a long wait for the Caledonian Sleeper, please ask a member of Staff to allow you to use the Cheshire Lounge. Acess will only be granted on production of a Valid Sleeper Ticket.

I didn't get a picture :(

Already mentioned in post #22, and incorporated into the guide.

WestCoast

Established Member
1. Are child alternatives valid into the lounges?
Yes permitting you are under 16. Note that some lounges do not permit under 18s to enter while travelling alone.

In whose lounges does this rule apply? My 15 year old cousin (who's mad about trains, particularly 1st class) is coming to visit from abroad and I suggested that he goes off and travels somewhere on a cheap Virgin/EC/EMT AP.

Ascot

Established Member
In whose lounges does this rule apply? My 15 year old cousin (who's mad about trains, particularly 1st class) is coming to visit from abroad and I suggested that he goes off and travels somewhere on a cheap Virgin/EC/EMT AP.

Euston lounge had restrictions in the bar area but looking on the website they have removed all mention of it. Leave it with me and I'll double check them all to that statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ascot

Established Member
Going all artistic (slowly) and starting to add symbols to the guide. Idea is to remove the bulky text which is repetitive and replace it with lounge specific descriptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Attached is the picture of the Stoke-on-Trent lounge and a resized version of the Leicester lounge.

@Ascot. Might be better to reload this Leicester image, as the original one looked a little squashed.

Attachments

• Lounge_LEI.jpg
    Lounge_LEI.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Lounge_SOT.jpg
    Lounge_SOT.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 67

Ascot

Established Member
Attached is the picture of the Stoke-on-Trent lounge and a resized version of the Leicester lounge.

@Ascot. Might be better to reload this Leicester image, as the original one looked a little squashed.

Many thanks I've done the uploads.

I'm starting to trial the new style with VT so let me know what you think. So far I have done International and New Street (yes the text is a little small but I'm working on that) and the other stations will come gradually. This is where all the user reviews posted above will really come into play so many thanks to everyone.

EDIT: I will leave VT as the pilot for a week or so then will move to other areas (probably East Coast next).

Last edited:

calc7

Established Member
Just used the intercom to access the Virgin FC lounge at Manchester Piccadilly. I was asked where I was travelling to. If I had said "Stockport" I assume entry would not have been permitted.

lyesbkz

Just used the intercom to access the Virgin FC lounge at Manchester Piccadilly. I was asked where I was travelling to. If I had said "Stockport" I assume entry would not have been permitted.

Were you only asked where you were travelling to?

They asked me this once, presumably to see whether it was a VT-served station to decide whether I was eligible to use the lounge. (I said Stockport and it was fine, but this was many months ago)

Ascot

Established Member

Course you can, it's just to check if you're not going Rochdale or something funky.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Do you have to present evidence that you actually own a ticket to where you say you are going?

Course you can, it's just to check if you're not going Rochdale or something funky.

First time I've ever seen 'Rochdale' and 'funky' in the same sentence! :lol:

Ascot

Established Member
Do you have to present evidence that you actually own a ticket to where you say you are going?

First time I've ever seen 'Rochdale' and 'funky' in the same sentence! :lol:

If it's CCTV entrance then you push the buzzer and hold your ticket to the camera, otherwise you walk in and show your ticket to the host.

At Manchester I've seen some hosts who let you in straight away and you show your ticket at the door and others who require you to say your destination at the buzzer then show your ticket at the desk.

calc7

Established Member
Were you only asked where you were travelling to?

They asked me this once, presumably to see whether it was a VT-served station to decide whether I was eligible to use the lounge. (I said Stockport and it was fine, but this was many months ago)

I was asked where I was travelling to. (I was actually travelling onward on TPE, but had come from London on an Advance 1st and was waiting for my connection and needed to use the toilet).

I said I'd travelled from London, and before I could put the ticket near the camera, the door was already opened, so clearly I look very bona fide. :D

My post was to do with the past problems mentioned by All Line Rover.

Ascot

Established Member

Sorry for the delay, done some digging and there are no restrictions.

amcluesent

New FC lounge at KGX. I guess the new franchise holder will have green as their corporate colour...

The main lounge, about the same floor area as before but partitioned into three sections, so the telly isn't so obtrusive. The 'business' section of a few desks and, oddly, a boardroom table is at the end on the right. Free wi-fi as before.

49fb3e4a-1.jpg

More racking for papers and magazines, although only the papers (Indy\Standard) are for taking away. There's also some exhibits of rail paraphernalia along the wall. The bar stools are sprung which feels a bit odd the 1st time as it starts to sink...

71dd8c8d.jpg

The beverage bar, just transferred from the old lounge, same items.

06adc99a.jpg

N.B. the toilets can be accessed (for now) without showing your FC ticket if anyone wants a wizz with people of quality, now is your chance. Just two cubicles in the Gents, no urinals so may get a queue on match-days ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

lyesbkz

I would love to hear some feedback on the new lounge at King's Cross, sadly I can't quite justify spending 50 of my precious points to take a look when I'm not even travelling :P

Oh, and Ascot, unless this has been very recently changed (last month or so!), East Midlands Trains accept any First class tickets in their Sheffield lounge at least, even those with no chance of ever being valid on EMT services (such as SHF-NCL). Including Advance.

Last edited: