• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT on the possible 2 year pay freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Economist

I haven't heard anything from ASLEF on this, whilst I appreciate there isn't much they can do, it'd be nice for the members to know what the EC's take on it is.

When it comes to redundancies, I don't think it'd be a good idea to make them in grades which take a long time to train. Reduced hours can be scaled up very quickly to meet post-pandemic demand whereas if there are redundancies there may well be chronic staff shortages in a few years' time.

I know that the country is skint but seeing billions of pounds of taxpayers' money doled out to the government's rich mates without proper due dilligence gets on my wick. Like the Great Recession, it's one rule for the rich and well-connected, a different rule for everyone else.

Efini92

Established Member
Genuine question(s):
  • Prior to privatisation i.e. BR, were all railway employees on the same salary and T&Cs?
  • If so then did changes occur as TOCs sought to poach staff from other TOCs?
In the BR days a driver was a driver abs could transfer anywhere.
The demand for drivers was only really created when Richard Branson took all the top link men for his Virgin franchise. As they were all 40 year men and close to retiring, Virgin needed to recruit more train drivers, so they upped the salary to poach staff, thus creating a demand that was never there under BR.

jettofab

I have no issue with a pay freeze whatsoever. I do wonder what the score is with multi year deals already in place, as someone else mentioned. Also, if we are all public sector employees now the government will, at some point, have to address the discrepancies in pay and T&Cs but that is a fearsome task.

Frankfurt

I read that multi year deals already agreed will be honoured. Wish that applied to my toc!

387star

On Moderation
If all Drivers were paid the same what about freight drivers who are still private sector workers?

Is the pay freeze for 2021 and 2022 or is it including 2020 ?

theironroad

Established Member
I have no issue with a pay freeze whatsoever. I do wonder what the score is with multi year deals already in place, as someone else mentioned. Also, if we are all public sector employees now the government will, at some point, have to address the discrepancies in pay and T&Cs but that is a fearsome task.
Multi year deals agreed before April 2020 will be honoured.

I haven't heard anything from ASLEF on this, whilst I appreciate there isn't much they can do, it'd be nice for the members to know what the EC's take on it is.

When it comes to redundancies, I don't think it'd be a good idea to make them in grades which take a long time to train. Reduced hours can be scaled up very quickly to meet post-pandemic demand whereas if there are redundancies there may well be chronic staff shortages in a few years' time.

I know that the country is skint but seeing billions of pounds of taxpayers' money doled out to the government's rich mates without proper due dilligence gets on my wick. Like the Great Recession, it's one rule for the rich and well-connected, a different rule for everyone else.IfIf all Drivers were paid the same what about freight drivers who are still private sector workers?

At the risk of defending a Tory government, Grant Schapps did say in his appearance before the transport select committee and that he wants to avoid redundancies as much as possible and the pay freeze was a realistic measure considering the £10bn+ that has been put into keeping railways operating.
Is the pay freeze for 2021 and 2022 or is it including 2020 ?

It's for 2020 and 2021. My TOC has April an October for pay negotiation depending on grade so assume next will be April 2022

The freeze on!y applies to those earning more than £24,000 or in 'exceptional circumstances'.

High Dyke

Established Member
There is no end in sight for COVID and the way the Country works, so no rise in 2021, will mean the same in 2022, as they will argue nothing has changed !
That'll go down well with some Network Rail staff who seemingly still haven't received their previous pay rise.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
That'll go down well with some Network Rail staff who seemingly still haven't received their previous pay rise.
Mixed feelings many are glad to be in a job still considering the absolute decimation in income the industry has had. Some are furious.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I shouldn't worry about discrepancies, no two public sector departments have the same pay scales!

Bantamzen

Established Member
Interesting that multi year deals will be honoured. Good for staff at those TOCs

Ha, I'm sure that's true. But surely we'd all be one department.
Pay among grades differs even at department levels. There's been a long process to narrow the gaps, but it is taking a long time. So if your TOC is at the lower end, don't hold your breath. And if you are working for a better paid one, well get used to years of pittance / zero pay rises!

vikingdriver

Was the SWR multi year deal agreed before or after April 2020?

Just had a look through a rather long WhatsApp conversation history and a SWR driver told me the result of the ballot on 22nd April. Whether that was the actual day of it I'm not sure.

jc1

Just had a look through a rather long WhatsApp conversation history and a SWR driver told me the result of the ballot on 22nd April. Whether that was the actual day of it I'm not sure.
So does that mean it won't be honoured as it wasn't agreed before April but during April?

Goldfish62

Established Member
So does that mean it won't be honoured as it wasn't agreed before April but during April?
I thought the deal was effective from April 2020, in which case it's already been implemented and so will be honoured, or have I missed something?

jc1

I thought the deal was effective from April 2020, in which case it's already been implemented and so will be honoured, or have I missed something?
I see what you mean. I was just thinking that the April 21 and April 22 pay rises agreed might not be honoured now.

vikingdriver

Effective from April 2019, that was year 1 of the 4 year deal (was just running a tad late!)

winks

Are you sure SWR negotiated a 4 year deal ?

What was the headline figures for each of the years ?

Status
Not open for further replies.