• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Routes between stations in tunnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Okay, I might have you on the Liverpool Street to Stratford but I am right with KGX - Finsbury Park because it is a three minute journey and you spend one minute and thirty five seconds either under canopies/in tunnels.

Should know, I filmed the route!:roll:

It's not the time, it's the distance.

LE Greys

Established Member
Partick>Exhibition Centre (but not the other way). I think that's about 50% in tunnel.
Deleted, already mentioned

And perhaps the ultimate
Cheriton-Coquelles
(Or Ashford International-Calais-Fréthun if you don't count them as stations)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
To clear up Finsbury Park-Kings Cross:
Distance:
2.41 miles (201 chains)

Tunnels:
Gasworks Tunnels: 528 yds / 22 = 24 chains
Copenhagen Tunnels: 594 yds / 22 = 27 chains

24 + 27 = 51 chains

So that equals:
160 chains in open air
51 chains in tunnels

yorksrob

Veteran Member
St Leonards Warrior Square-Hastings is about 90% in one tunnel;
Hastings-Ore is about the same :D;
Rochester-Chatham about 95% in one tunnel;
Chatham-Gillingham is about 80% in a tunnel :D

Don't forget St Leonards Warrior Square - West St Leonards. Unfortunately Dover Priory - Western Docks no longer exists but I'll mention it since the tunnel bit's still in use!

atomicdanny

Don't forget St Leonards Warrior Square - West St Leonards. Unfortunately Dover Priory - Western Docks no longer exists but I'll mention it since the tunnel bit's still in use!

Technically speaking though the station and platforms are still there, just the tracks have been removed and the platforms have been filled in for a car park (I think Southeastern missed an opportunity there though - an hour to London to the port in dover! and connections to the north as well via Kings Cross / St Pancras!)

As for the tunnel part I think its about 50% tunnel and 50% out, but then again it does have a slow speed limit around that corner (15mph i think?)

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
To clear up Finsbury Park-Kings Cross:
Distance:
2.41 miles (201 chains)

Tunnels:
Gasworks Tunnels: 528 yds / 22 = 24 chains
Copenhagen Tunnels: 594 yds / 22 = 27 chains

24 + 27 = 51 chains

So that equals:
160 chains in open air
51 chains in tunnels

Okay, for those of us that use metric and started this debate and have absolutely zero idea of what the hell you are talking about, what has a chain got to do with distance?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Distances on the railway are measured in chains and miles. 1 Chain is 22 yards and there are 80 chains in a mile. If you want it in metric 1 chain is just over 20 metres.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Technically speaking though the station and platforms are still there, just the tracks have been removed and the platforms have been filled in for a car park (I think Southeastern missed an opportunity there though - an hour to London to the port in dover! and connections to the north as well via Kings Cross / St Pancras!)

As for the tunnel part I think its about 50% tunnel and 50% out, but then again it does have a slow speed limit around that corner (15mph i think?)

Yes, I thought this as well. It probably made sense to turn Marine over to something else with the loss of so many boat trains - but I'd have thought a spur to a more basic single platform station serving the docks from the Priory direction would have allowed the railway to more effectively serve the cruise ships and whatever else may be using Western Docks at the mo.

They could have kept things ticking over throughout the day by extending terminating Victoria - Priory services there - as happened previously.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I prefer miles, yards and metres, whoever invented chains needs shooting!

So do I! I think the only place that chains are actually used regularly still is on the railways. In fact the reason I joined this board was to ask about some measurements I had seen on a local line marked in chains as I thought that no-one used them, turned out I was wrong and the railway still did much to my surprise!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
So do I! I think the only place that chains are actually used regularly still is on the railways. In fact the reason I joined this board was to ask about some measurements I had seen on a local line marked in chains as I thought that no-one used them, turned out I was wrong and the railway still did much to my surprise!

Metric (m, km etc) is used on, from what I can gather, the LUL and any modern light rail network in the UK (the Tyne & Wear Metro, Manchester Metrolink, Croydon Tramlink, Nottingham Express Transit, and Sheffield Supertram), and, if I'm not wrong, one of the preserved (steam) railways in Wales (it may be the Welsh Highland Railway), as well as the CTRL (and HS2) too.

All operational Network Rail-owned track in the UK (and privately owned I think) is still in imperial (chains, yards, miles etc), and has continued to be so on all recent line openings (the East London Line, Ebbw Vale and Alloa (although they already had measurements in imperial, they were not changed)).

Irish railways follow the same as British railways IIRC, with LUAS being metric, and heavy rail being imperial :D

I cannot see the railways changing from the old mileages unless the EU etc dictate that we must use metric, but boy would it be costly.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Most electrification masts put up in recent years have Km based numbers don't they ( whereas the older ones on the southern part of the WCML show mile based mast numbers )?

So in that sense we already do have Km based measurements of a sort.

Anyway... tunnels and routes... has anyone mentioned ( rest of line edited - it's in the OP...!!! )

Last edited:

12CSVT

Established Member
I prefer miles, yards and metres, whoever invented chains needs shooting!

(Please note that I don't mean that)

One chain (22 yards) is approximately the same length as many items of rolling stock, so is actually a practical measurement on the railways.

Established Member
Metric (m, km etc) is used on, from what I can gather, the LUL and any modern light rail network in the UK (the Tyne & Wear Metro, Manchester Metrolink, Croydon Tramlink, Nottingham Express Transit, and Sheffield Supertram), and, if I'm not wrong, one of the preserved (steam) railways in Wales (it may be the Welsh Highland Railway), as well as the CTRL (and HS2) too.

The TW Metro uses both, with everything on the normal system using metric and then reverting to miles and chains on the Network Rail section.

philjo

Established Member
Bayford to Cuffley (Hertford Loop ) ??
Distance between stations is 3.5 miles.
Ponsborne Tunnel is 1m 924yds
So not quite half in the tunnel.

Weeton to Horsforth - again not quite half in the tunnel

Status
Not open for further replies.