• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rules and regs training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardy2712

Evening all,

Just wondering if anyone has done the above training with freightliner and what the format was? I am awaiting a medical and subject to passing that starting the training with freightliner in the next month or so. There is a possibility that the training clashes with my wedding I have booked in Scotland and would need 3 days off. Is this feasible to get the 3 days off through the training or not a chance in hell?

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jones

I'd be surprised.

Quite a few TOC/FOC I've applied to have asked if I'll cancel holidays.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
It's preferred if you don't miss that stuff. I dare say some companies would be willing to make an exception if you are getting married so don't be afraid to ask. I think the main reason a ban on annual leave is in place is so you don't get 75% of every group having two weeks off (and of course everybody will have a different two weeks) should a training school exist over the summer months.

Hardy2712

Problem solved. Spoke to FL and they are putting me on the second course so I can attend wedding. Gutted I am having to wait longer but the misses is happy! Lol

455driver

Veteran Member
Me personally I would have started the training and cancelled the wedding! ;) :lol:

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I start training with Southeastern on 7/7. Is it worth me trying to get a copy of the rules prior to starting to give myself a head start?

driver9000

Established Member
I start training with Southeastern on 7/7. Is it worth me trying to get a copy of the rules prior to starting to give myself a head start?

Not really. The courses are designed around those who have no railway background and reading ahead may end up confusing you. Good luck with the training, it's hard work but the reward is worth it!

carriageline

Established Member
Nothing, you will really confuse your self. Trust me, the rule books isn't designed to be read with no knowledge!!

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Do not read in advance it will confuse you!
Listen to presentations take lots of notes then be prepared to do an hour or two every night of studying!
Very intense but worth it

BromleyBoi

I echo the other comments above. The trainers also say not to read ahead. When you are there just as Skinny Dave has said is make notes & don't be afraid to ask questions, the trainers are there to help you. It will be quite intense and again as mentioned be prepared to spend a couple of hours a night going over stuff but it does come in the end.
Good luck.

455driver

Veteran Member
Just in case you didnt get the hint-

Do not read ahead, you will only confuse yourself.

By all means go over what you have covered that day but dont read ahead.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Thanks for the advice. Subject to medical I start on 7/7 (ominous date or what!) Has anyone on here done their training at Orpington? What is it like?

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Just in case you didnt get the hint-

Do not read ahead, you will only confuse yourself.

By all means go over what you have covered that day but dont read ahead.

I find this odd advice. I agree that reading ahead is not necessary at all, but to repeatedly suggest it's counter productive leads me to say speak for yourself, buddy! :D

455driver

Veteran Member
A lot of the rules combine with other rules and if you read ahead you might form an opinion based on the rules individually and not together.

If you think it is a good idea to form an opinion (whether right or wrong) before doing the rules in the classroom and having them explained correctly to you then feel free.

carriageline

Established Member
And it's the way the rules are written in the book, they try to make it "perfectly clear English", but now it doesn't make great sense

henryedward61

I would'nt suggest reading ahead, simply because it is not necessary. Believe me talking as a 'boil in the bag', two years ago everything was a tad confusing but the rule book becomes extremely straightforward once you are able to put it in context. Unfortunately, until you begin gaining driving experience its all just theoretical hulabaloo.

A driver said to me during training that 95% of the rulebook is in place to make the job sound interesting.
It is true that little of it gets used and soundcommon sense is what's actually required once passed out.

Got this far; the assumption is that you have the aptitude to learn the text. I never had the inclination to spend ridiculous hours at home, but each to there own.

SEDriver

Thanks for the advice. Subject to medical I start on 7/7 (ominous date or what!) Has anyone on here done their training at Orpington? What is it like?

Orpington is ok. The training centre is in the same building as the driver depot. There's a few classrooms, 4 simulators and a free tea and coffee vending machine! ;)

Outside there is a small non-electrified track set up (about 30 metres long) and there is also the sidings.

PS. Don't read the rule book just yet!!

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Perfectly clear english?? It is, I guess, but then the next rule will say "However, when x happens......" and contradict what you just read........

Did you ever see the old rule book? The publishers of the new modular book make a huge song and dance about it being in crystal clear English when it was published at the turn of the century, and compared to the old one they had a valid point! :o

Lincoln_biker

I missed a day of my rules training to attend a very unexpected funeral. The guys at Crewe were fantastic about it all, gave me the days course material I would miss and offered extra help on my return to make sure I had got it all. Fortunately you've been put on the next course, but if you make the effort there's nothing to be concerned about.

BromleyBoi

Perfectly clear english?? It is, I guess, but then the next rule will say "However, when x happens......" and contradict what you just read........

Oh & don't forget the Sectional Appendix comes out to play then and adds even more confusion with it's local adaptation of rules!! ;)

parsons16

Personally I don't see how reading the rules in preparation for the course can do you any harm at all. We were advised that although hand-outs were given out always refer to the appropriate module of the rule book (which you can download for free on the RSSB website. I use my travelling time to work (when I can use the train for my shifts) to study bite-size chunks of the rules which equates to 40 minutes in total.

You can never under-study the rules (unless you know them off by heart of course) as they are an essential part of the job so my advice would be download the relevant modules and start reading. The sooner you start, the sooner you'll learn them!

Beveridges

Established Member
Learning rules yourself is harder work. Better to make it easy for yourself and learn them when the trainer/instructor gets round to it, who will (probably) explain them a lot more clearly than the rulebook does.

455driver

Veteran Member
Personally I don't see how reading the rules in preparation for the course can do you any harm at all.

When I did my rules we were expressly told not to read ahead, but you obviously know better than the SWT trainers.

How did you do on your rules training by reading ahead?

Beveridges

Established Member
Don't read ahead you will only bore yourself to death.

A trainer explains them in a way that makes them more interesting and understandable than what is written in the book.

The book is OK for revising the rules (once you've already learned them, that is) but that's about all its useful for.

carriageline

Established Member
That's it, the trainers teach it in such a way that it's easy to understand and goes in. They are not always worded brilliant in the rule book, and is easily confused. Once confused, it's difficult to change the way you see it.

There is also a logical way to learn the rules, as rules also interlock each other.

JAMBO

If guys want to get the rulebook out before starting then let them. Worst thing you could possibly do in my eyes. It's a heavy read even for a qualified driver. So if you want to confuse yourself and give yourself a little headache then go ahead. I will always remember one of the instructors at Schenker taking the books of a trainee because he did such a thing. He got all sorts muddled up as he was reading ahead and teaching himself! Ended up setting him back weeks :|

Status
Not open for further replies.