• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Class 385 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
4-car I could maybe understand, but 3-car? Both types, like the 380s, have the same power outputs in both versions and 8 traction motors (four per driving car).

From a post by 380101 back in September:

technically a 7car 380 should be quicker off the blocks than a 7car 385 as the 3 car set on the 380 has 4 powered bogies (8 powered axles) whilst the 3 car 385 only has 3 powered bogies (6 powered axles) to save a measly 1.5tons in weight!!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cf111

Established Member
Had my first go on a 385 this week. On the whole I was impressed, very bright interior which felt spacious (albeit on a fairly lightly-loaded train), very quick acceleration and smooth at speed.

The seats are hard but I didn't feel uncomfortable on the short journey, if we hadn't been held outside Haymarket I think we'd have got in to Waverley a few minutes ahead of schedule. There were a lot of rattles which I didn't expect on such a new train but I suppose everything is behind panels so they will come loose.

Last edited:

Established Member
I was on the 1400 Edinburgh-Glasgow shuttle yesterday and it looks per RTT to have beaten the timetable by 10 minutes - it left Waverley 2 minutes late and arrived at Queen Street 8 early. Not that exciting in reality though, the timetable had it down as needing 54 minutes end to end.

The interior was far less rattly than the one I got last week. It was nearly up to Transpennine Class 350 standards at speed. I don't do numbers, so I've no idea which unit was rattly and which was smooth.

Stopper

I’m a fan of the 385s to be honest. Of all the things I slate ScotRail for these aren’t one of them. They aren’t designed for luxurious long-distance comfort, they’re desgned for rush-hour commuters who are just happy to get a seat. When empty during the day, I can understand why people think they are bright and bare etc. However, when standing during the peaks this is less noticeable. The announcements and ride quality are the only things that are slightly annoying to me.

Used a 385 yesterday (on one of the non-cancelled services......) - one of the doors was out of use, 3rd car from the front. Didn't catch the unit number. Brand new rolling stock and the doors are already failing?

Chris125

Established Member
Used a 385 yesterday (on one of the non-cancelled services......) - one of the doors was out of use, 3rd car from the front. Didn't catch the unit number. Brand new rolling stock and the doors are already failing?

Has a new train fleet been introduced without door faults? 385s are no doubt going through the same reliability 'bathtub curve' as any other new design, they'll settle down in due course.

scotraildriver

Established Member
The door faults keep happening at Croy and Falkirk High, Hitachi are blaming the cant of the track! They now have an engineer at both locations.

The door faults keep happening at Croy and Falkirk High, Hitachi are blaming the cant of the track! They now have an engineer at both locations.

Do the 380s, 365s and 170s have any issues with doors at these locations? We have a few stations on our routes where the cant is off the level and have no issues with 380 doors.

No just 385s.

That then points to an issue with the door mechanisms and suggests they're not robust enough to deal with a slight cant. A basic issue that should have been picked up during static testing during the door design and development stage at the factory and also during the many months of testing on the track.

AlexNL

Established Member
Could be due to a sensor being a bit too sensitive, and which trips at those locations.

Mingulay

That then points to an issue with the door mechanisms and suggests they're not robust enough to deal with a slight cant. A basic issue that should have been picked up during static testing during the door design and development stage at the factory and also during the many months of testing on the track.

Sounds like the 385 s are set to give rise to yet more interruptions to the E G service yet. Perhaps as has been suggested they hang on to the 365 for the longer term till they resolve this problem. And run the 385 to Dunblane and Alloa instead if there is less of a cant issue in those stations? Be yet another public embarrassment for Abellio but better that than have breakdowns on your flagship route. As merely a passenger. It does seem bewildering. Powered doors have been working on trains for decades. It's not reinventing the wheel. They open they shut. No need to redesign the function. What's proven and what works. Don't change it. Begs the question how good are Hitachi if something as simple as a power door has floored them.

kilonewton

3DF330BE-0723-4472-AE76-887FF0E8C255.jpeg
One of the doors from the offending unit last night. Look closely, you’ll see some masking tape above the doors.
Saw another assumedly new unit this morning with more masking tape above doors and elsewhere.
Still snagging?

scotraildriver

Established Member
I suspect it's more build quality issues. The same unit has been involved in quite a few incidents whilst others have had no issues.

mcmad

Sounds like the 385 s are set to give rise to yet more interruptions to the E G service yet. Perhaps as has been suggested they hang on to the 365 for the longer term till they resolve this problem. And run the 385 to Dunblane and Alloa instead if there is less of a cant issue in those stations? Be yet another public embarrassment for Abellio but better that than have breakdowns on your flagship route. As merely a passenger. It does seem bewildering. Powered doors have been working on trains for decades. It's not reinventing the wheel. They open they shut. No need to redesign the function. What's proven and what works. Don't change it. Begs the question how good are Hitachi if something as simple as a power door has floored them.
Nice idea but the Glasgow - Dunblane/Alloa services all call at Croy so wouldn't help.

youngac

There seems to be a train broken down at Croy just now. Not sure if it is a 385 but if it is then recent observations about their reliability at Croy would appear to be relevant.

InOban

Established Member
At least this tine they cancelled the light engine movement as well.

Stopper

How many are entering service on Monday? Will it cover the E-G and North Berwick entirely?

I’ve said before I don’t think they’re long enough for the E-G, but once the problems settle down I think the 385s will be a success for the most part. Their acceleration seems remarkable.

Status
Not open for further replies.