• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Class 385 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
Weren't the first few 800s (including the units used in the initial public run) ones shipped over from Japan? Nothing to do with Newton Aycliffe.

Correct, but I'm not sure what relevance that has? There are plenty of Newton Aycliffe built trains out in service with GWR (in fact I think only NA built units are currently in service) which the quality of can be inspected and deemed unsatisfactory

But they're not going to Newton Aycliffe, but to Tees export dock.

They're going to Tees export dock where Hitachi have got a storage facility where the shells are stored before going to Newton Aycliffe for fitting out. You can see it on the map here, 80x shells nearer the river, and 385 shells nearer the railway, and if you look at the same site in Google Earth with 3D building enabled you can clearly see the distinctive shapes of the 80x and 385s and pan around them. As @Typhoon_93 says, it is a pre-series unit so it isn't much more than a shell with running gear fitted, so it can be put into store at Tees dock and then taken to NA for internal fit out and sending back to Scotland.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As @Typhoon_93 says, it is a pre-series unit so it isn't much more than a shell with running gear fitted, so it can be put into store at Tees dock and then taken to NA for internal fit out and sending back to Scotland.
Yes that's now my, very much revised, view as to what those moves actually are. Still, it was interesting to have such a move brought to my attention this morning and commence wild speculation!

mde

Yes that's now my, very much revised, view as to what those moves actually are. Still, it was interesting to have such a move brought to my attention this morning and commence wild speculation!
It's what we do best! :D

Mingulay

Richard Clinick has an answer - the 385's are on their way to Pistoia for fit-out. https://twitter.com/Clinnick1/status/990990131304812544

Cause for optimism. ?

The Dunblane service is now getting quite grim. Short formed this am cancelled tonight. Reason given train failure. This may be the case or is it that train failure is the standard explanation given when there is no train or it's short formed ? Just suspect there is a reluctance to state reason as lack of rolling stock. No doubt someone will know ?

Domh245

Established Member
I suppose that sending some to Pistoia isn't entirely outlandish. If Scotrail aren't accepting any of the units then Newton Aycliffe must be getting rather full of the things, and so they'll have shifted these to Pistoia to get them ready to send to Scotland as soon as they've got the windscreen fix ready. Allows them to get them into service a bit quicker than waiting for space to become available at Newton Aycliffe.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Cause for optimism. ?

The Dunblane service is now getting quite grim. Short formed this am cancelled tonight. Reason given train failure. This may be the case or is it that train failure is the standard explanation given when there is no train or it's short formed ? Just suspect there is a reluctance to state reason as lack of rolling stock. No doubt someone will know ?

Take your pick...

https://wiki.openraildata.com/index.php/Darwin:Cancellation_reason_codes_and_text

Typhoon_93

I suppose that sending some to Pistoia isn't entirely outlandish. If Scotrail aren't accepting any of the units then Newton Aycliffe must be getting rather full of the things, and so they'll have shifted these to Pistoia to get them ready to send to Scotland as soon as they've got the windscreen fix ready. Allows them to get them into service a bit quicker than waiting for space to become available at Newton Aycliffe.

Two of the four that are heading to Pistoia are in Germany anyway so makes sense. Aycliffe is at capacity with the dam things 18 sets complete in various stages of test and 11 sets in production not to mention the 9 car class 800’s with 6 in test and 5 in production.

Highlandspring

Established Member
The boring truth is that there isn’t a grand conspiracy at work behind the scenes; 2P59 1637 Edinburgh - Dunblane and 2P86 1758 Dunblane - Edinburgh were cancelled tonight due to 158738 52 car engine shut down and not restarting.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The boring truth is that there isn’t a grand conspiracy at work behind the scenes; 2P59 1637 Edinburgh - Dunblane and 2P86 1758 Dunblane - Edinburgh were cancelled tonight due to 158738 52 car engine shut down and not restarting.

Not surprising, at least half the Haymarket 158s sound broken. EMUs can't come soon enough to replace the Haymarket 158s and give a much needed capacity boost.

I believe the fronts where designed by a British consultancy.

The cab internal layout was designed by a British consultancy company and was based pretty much on the 380 cab layout to ensure easy driver conversion training. The physical cab structure, including the gangway is all Hitatchi's doing.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
On a more pedestrian (see what I did there?) level do we take it there is now a windscreen available that doesn't have internal reflections and distortions?

mde

On a more pedestrian (see what I did there?) level do we take it there is now a windscreen available that doesn't have internal reflections and distortions?
I think they'd be shouting from the rafters if that was the case. Given the contract for that work was handed to KBRS, the telltale would be a 385 visiting Springburn…

Stopper

The E-G and the Dunblane services are always short formed nowadays. I travel between Linlithgow and Edinburgh and there’s absolutely not a chance in hell of any Linlithgow passenger getting a seat on the way into Edinburgh, even on 6 or 7 car sets.

The Dunblane’s aren’t as busy but are often short-formed. In the really busy section between Linlithgow and Haymarket it’s like being packed in like sardines on the peak services.

The Dunblane’s will improve when the electrics come in terms of capacity, taking Linlithgow and Polmont passengers off those services is a big chunk, probably the 2nd and 4th busiest stops on that line, and also will be getting longer trains. The E-G will likely continue to suffer even with 8-car trains though, the 7-car 380s still have people standing in the mornings.

2 different companies have been developing a new windscreen. One is in Italy and the other Belgium. I imagine that given they are taking some sets to Italy for completion then they'll try the Italian made screen out then. Speaking to someone involved with the 385 project, they are planning on moving the front bulkhead immediately in front of the drivers dash back approx. 100mm to accomodate a flatter screen.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Interesting, I assumed it was a straight swap for an optically better pane if it didn't need a return to the maker.

Interesting, I assumed it was a straight swap for an optically better pane if it didn't need a return to the maker.

KB Springburn have the contract to do the remedial works once the solution has been tested by Hitatchi. Just hope they do a better job than the sub standard quality of work thats being carried out on the 156 refurbs.

scotraildriver

Established Member
KB Springburn have the contract to do the remedial works once the solution has been tested by Hitatchi. Just hope they do a better job than the sub standard quality of work thats being carried out on the 156 refurbs.

Indeed! Had the dubious pleasure of the most recent unit 156436, they have actually painted over the cab lights and DAS screen with grey paint!

gsnedders

Established Member
Interesting that it's being done there, given presumably it's being done under contract to Hitachi. There again, given capacity at the factories at the moment, not so surprising!

mde

Yes, having experienced some of that fine quality work (as a pax) it doesn't really fill you with confidence… that said, never judge a book by its cover.

Indeed! Had the dubious pleasure of the most recent unit 156436, they have actually painted over the cab lights and DAS screen with grey paint!

I've had 2 fresh from KB that had no sun blinds and no TPWS or EBS labels. Whoever in ScotRail accepts them back from KB needs sacked as they clearly have no clue.

Highlandspring

Established Member
There hasn’t been an NRAP certificate issued yet (or at least there hadn’t been by lunchtime today) so unless it’s signed off and issued by close of play tomorrow I wouldn’t get your hopes up for Thursday......

Sirius

Does anyone know if Scotrail plan to extend the £13 fare via Bathgate as a result of the delays/365s on their way? It was initially stated to be until the 19th of May.

Domh245

Established Member
Alex Hynes was telling the Scottish Parliament this morning that the first new windscreens will be fitted this week, after which it'll head back to Scotland for testing - presumably to check that the optical problems have been fixed. Hopefully following that it'll be swift progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.