• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Franchise - Abellio

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprinterguy

Established Member
2. There will be catering, but I've not seen anything to say it will be a buffet. I'd be surprised if there was a business case for it TBH.
Abellio Scotrail have in fact promised "(a) high quality on-board service, buffet and at seat catering" as part of their initial franchise announcement.

Provision of a buffet on all Inter-city trains from December 2018 is also written into the franchise agreement:
Improved Catering Facilities

On or before the 31st December 2018, the Franchisee shall ensure that catering facilities are available on all rolling stock deployed on Passenger Services on Inter-city Routes. The Franchise shall install a catering area located between First and Standard featuring a service hatch, coffee machine, combination oven, refrigeration, water boiler, preparation services and product storage to support the at-seat trolley service.
Scotrail's HST sets will have thirty first class seats, which points very much towards the first class carriage being a buffet vehicle.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
Scotrail's HST sets will have thirty first class seats, which points very much towards the first class carriage being a buffet vehicle.

I'd very much like to see an improved FC offering on Scotrail's new HST sets. I think if we're going to have a buffet vehicle, there'll be space for a simple complementary offering - not as elaborate as EC, but perhaps light meals and complimentary snacks?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'd very much like to see an improved FC offering on Scotrail's new HST sets. I think if we're going to have a buffet vehicle, there'll be space for a simple complementary offering - not as elaborate as EC, but perhaps light meals and complimentary snacks?

My money would be on something similar to the current VTEC Food Bar (see here) but with some light meals added (something like the old East Coast menu prior to the complemtary offer where they had things like Chicken Korma and Beef Lasagne on the menu).

Don't think we'll be seeing Pullman Dining somehow however ;)

sprinterguy

Established Member
The franchise agreement ensures that "an improved complimentary food and drink offer is provided to First Class customers" on Inter-city trains following the introduction of HSTs.

I don't think it specifies how extensive this offering has to be, but does state that "the new (galley equipment on the Inter-city train fleet) will offer at least the capability to offer coffee and freshly chilled food."

There should be more modest improvements before that, with a new on-train menu required before the end of this year.

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
According to the Timetable I was looking at, Abellio are going to have catering on all services at Night - right up till and including 2330 departures on the Glasgow to Edinburgh via Falkirk High Service.

Also some at the Weekend as well.

This is definitely a major escalation of service - wonder how long it will last ?

infobleep

Veteran Member
According to the Timetable I was looking at, Abellio are going to have catering on all services at Night - right up till and including 2330 departures on the Glasgow to Edinburgh via Falkirk High Service.

This is definitely a major escalation of service - wonder how long it will last ?
Given everyone else seems to be cutting back, I'm sure it won't last forever. It will have to remain until they can find a reason to get out of having to provided it so extensively.

Highland37

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. It certainly sounds like an improvement in service all round when it actually happens.

I use the Inverness to Glasgow service regularly with large youth groups and the Turbostars are torture as they are so cramped and luggage space is limited.

When I lived in Beauly the 158s seemed to have a fan constantly running with a lud humming noise that seemed to be designed to cause a headache. Let's hope they get that sorted.

On a more general note, the dualling of the A9 will cause some issues and a more integrated view of goods and people movement would be welcome. I'd welcome some restrictions on HGVs on the A9 but with additional opportunities on the railway for hauliers and suppliers. Some gauge enhancement wouldn't do any harm.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Given everyone else seems to be cutting back, I'm sure it won't last forever. It will have to remain until they can find a reason to get out of having to provided it so extensively.
Connex's three trolleys on the peak Connex Express comes to mind...

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor

There is a franchise requirement to have two members of staff on E&G services (as well as others). The steward/host will fulfil this requirement once the new DOO services start.

Discuss.

380gk

There is a franchise requirement to have two members of staff on E&G services (as well as others). The steward/host will fulfil this requirement once the new DOO services start.

No they won't.
The trains will still require a ticket examiner on board as it's a franchise commitment that someone is available on board almost all trains to sell tickets.
And no, trolley staff won't be trained on this.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I can see this being renegotiated as a way of cutting costs TBH. It actually makes sense to me to have a Kitkat, Coffee and a CDR to Perth all in one.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That said Id still rather have a proper guard doing a proper job but lets not go down that route.

ScotTrains

once the £7.50 First class to any city fares start I'm sure it will be very popular. Currently I deliberately try to avoid Scotrail when traveling first class as their catering service is so poor compared to east coast. First class on scotrail is usual very quiet especially during off peak times. Having a better catering service and lower fares will help increase demand.

me123

Established Member
It wont last if there charging £4 for a simple Bacon roll.

I think you meant to say: It wont last if they're charging £4 for a simple Bacon roll. [/grammarnazi]

Actually, you can get away with charging more on train than you would off. People travelling longer distance in Scotland generally aren't doing so every day, and actually a £4 bacon roll would have a higher uptake than you may think. EastCoast in their various incarnations have always charged in that region for their various incarnations of the bacon sandwich product, and it does sell.

£4 for a bacon roll and a hot drink would prove better value, and I'd suspect would generate more money than a £4 bacon roll + £1.50+ for a cup of tea.

marks87

Established Member
I think there might be some confusion - I wasn't advocating fare evasion; I was advocating not visiting Perth!

Butts

Veteran Member
I have just returned from a trip from Falkirk to Thurso (staying overnight) and coming back today.

My attention was drawn to The No Smoking Signs that adorn the Platforms and these seem to have changed.

They now say the prohibition extends to open platforms which was not the case during the "First Regime" where smoking was permitted in these areas.

Has there been any publicity or announcements with regard to this as I have not seen or heard any. Perhaps these notices are a precursor to a future alteration of policy.

I and others still smoke in the open areas of Falkirk Stations in full view of staff with no adverse comments being made. Also the ashtrays between Platform 7 and 8 at Stirling Station are still in situ with smokers utilising them.

Today I also had a smoke on Thurso, Dingwall, Perth and Stirling Stations with no problem.

najaB

Veteran Member
Has there been any publicity or announcements with regard to this as I have not seen or heard any. Perhaps these notices are a precursor to a future alteration of policy.
A few guards will say that smoking is not permitted on any part of the station, but I've not seen anything more official than that.

Butts

Veteran Member
I do not know if or how they would introduce or regulate this but much as I think its a filthy habbit, my advice to you would be to say Go ahead and puff!

It's a bit of a joke on the line from Inverness to Thurso where there are only a couple of manned stations and most of them are only part-time.

It could be interesting at Dingle which has a café one side of the platform and a bar the other side which along with the station all share a common frontage of the platform.

Both had tables out on Sunday Evening as I passed - today on alighting I noticed the pubs are a permanent feature.

As for Thurso it looks as though it may be closed at the moment although the signs said it opened at 0945 after the first two trains have departed !!!

cf111

Established Member
It's a bit of a joke on the line from Inverness to Thurso where there are only a couple of manned stations and most of them are only part-time.

It could be interesting at Dingle which has a café one side of the platform and a bar the other side which along with the station all share a common frontage of the platform.

Both had tables out on Sunday Evening as I passed - today on alighting I noticed the pubs are a permanent feature.

As for Thurso it looks as though it may be closed at the moment although the signs said it opened at 0945 after the first two trains have departed !!!

Thurso does indeed open after two trains have gone. We used to have a nice wee newsagents in the station building which was a godsend before the early departure to Inverness on a freezing cold 156 :cry:.

Butts

Veteran Member
Thurso does indeed open after two trains have gone. We used to have a nice wee newsagents in the station building which was a godsend before the early departure to Inverness on a freezing cold 156 :cry:.

Considering there are only two more Departures I'm surprised they bother opening it at all. Is Wick any better with regard to facilities.

Dingwall certainly put's Thurso to shame with regard to facilities, perhaps because of it's proximity to Ross County's Stadium and the crowds that must bring and consequent trade.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.