• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRX

Established Member
Is CDL always used, even on moves without any passengers on board?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Highlandspring

Established Member
I wonder if the policy of using egress handles to release local doors for checking platforms is to blame.
You’ve picked that up completely wrong. The use of an egress to release the local door in the TSD coach of a slam door set is only the procedure at stations where single door working is in operation, i.e. stations which are too short to accomodate a full 2+4 set with all doors safely alongside the platform. The only stations where Short Platform Door Operation is used are Dalwhinnie (platform 1), Broughty Ferry (platform 1) and Portlethen (both platforms). At all other stations the doors are released from the panel in the TGS only and the TGS guard’s door is used to verify the whole train is accomodated on the platform before door release is given.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
You’ve picked that up completely wrong. The use of an egress to release the local door in the TSD coach of a slam door set is only the procedure at stations where single door working is in operation, i.e. stations which are too short to accomodate a full 2+4 set with all doors safely alongside the platform. The only stations where Short Platform Door Operation is used are Dalwhinnie (platform 1), Broughty Ferry (platform 1) and Portlethan (both platforms). At all other stations the doors are released from the panel in the TGS only and the TGS guard’s door is used to verify the whole train is accomodated on the platform before door release is given.

Still not ideal but it didn't seem to make sense that they wouldn't use the TGS panel and guards door.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I don’t think you know enough to say whether a particular procedure is ‘ideal’ or not.

Regardless of it being an official procedure or not, surely anyone would not considering using an emergency egress handle in normal service as 'ideal'?

(I appreciate it's being done, it's official policy and I'm not going to argue that.)

alangla

I don’t think you know enough to say whether a particular procedure is ‘ideal’ or not.
Genuine question- what’s wrong with the Great Western policy of positioning the guard at a specified door & opening the doors in front of or behind that point? Seemed to work well the last time I was over the Cotswold line with its various short platforms.

Paul Kerr

Well Set 5 was said to be ready while Set 4 was still at Wabtec. Plus deliveries keep getting cancelled.

I do hope it appears soon, but I'm not expecting it "imminently" ;)
Well I'm a glass half-full kind of guy ;) it's a shame we've had so many hitches with the conversions and introductions into service but it does look like Wabtec are getting to grips with the upgrades now. We could debate all day about the rights and wrongs of going with the HSTs but as more refurbished sets enter service I think the passengers are going to see a major step up in quality of service.

chuff chuff

You’ve picked that up completely wrong. The use of an egress to release the local door in the TSD coach of a slam door set is only the procedure at stations where single door working is in operation, i.e. stations which are too short to accomodate a full 2+4 set with all doors safely alongside the platform. The only stations where Short Platform Door Operation is used are Dalwhinnie (platform 1), Broughty Ferry (platform 1) and Portlethen (both platforms). At all other stations the doors are released from the panel in the TGS only and the TGS guard’s door is used to verify the whole train is accomodated on the platform before door release is given.

Invergowrie also.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Well I'm a glass half-full kind of guy ;) it's a shame we've had so many hitches with the conversions and introductions into service but it does look like Wabtec are getting to grips with the upgrades now. We could debate all day about the rights and wrongs of going with the HSTs but as more refurbished sets enter service I think the passengers are going to see a major step up in quality of service.

I'd like to think I'm generally optimistic as well, it's just unfortunate the project has had so many hitches along the way.

And I agree, they are a step-up, ordinary passengers seem to quite like them comfort-wise.

Railperf

Established Member
How many diagrams are likely to be the booked HST's next week as planned. I notice on RTT lots more have come in. Just wondering what set availability is like at the moment. Is there anyone who can advise on a given day - which of the HST's is being substituted. I'm hoping to have a few runs Edinburgh to Inverness and Edinburgh to Aberdeen from Tuesday lunchtime through to Weds afternoon. I will try to get the Glasgow to Perth section in too.

BRX

Established Member
How many diagrams are likely to be the booked HST's next week as planned. I notice on RTT lots more have come in. Just wondering what set availability is like at the moment. Is there anyone who can advise on a given day - which of the HST's is being substituted. I'm hoping to have a few runs Edinburgh to Inverness and Edinburgh to Aberdeen from Tuesday lunchtime through to Weds afternoon. I will try to get the Glasgow to Perth section in too.
Your best bet I'd say is to sign up to the Scot-rail gen group and keep an eye on posts there. The next day's allocations are sometimes posted, or you can piece together what's on what diagram based on reports early in the day.

I was up last weekend and my impression is there's quite a few more out and about than there were a couple of months ago.

Goldromans

Any clues as to where the next refurbed set is heading once it leaves Wabtec? A depot for training or straight into service?

Northhighland

Any clues as to where the next refurbed set is heading once it leaves Wabtec? A depot for training or straight into service?

Don’t it will go into service. Spend three month minimum sitting around or be part of the longest training programme in history or go for maintenance.

But passengers? Doubt it.

snookertam

No unit recieved by ScotRail or any other operator would go into service immediately. They will have to conduct their own checks of the unit to ensure its fitness to operate, for insurance purposes among other reasons.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The London Midland 320/4s were the polar opposite of this fiasco...

This is no great surprise given that the work required on these (removing a trailer coach with no equipment under it, tweaking the seating layout a bit, swapping the cushions and covers and painting it) is rather trivial in the scheme of things. Indeed, that this work was simple was why ScotRail did a 3-way swap with 319s to the south WCML and didn't just take 319s themselves - 319s have a compressor unit on the trailer, there's no coach with no essential equipment on it.

alangla

This is no great surprise given that the work required on these (removing a trailer coach with no equipment under it, tweaking the seating layout a bit, swapping the cushions and covers and painting it) is rather trivial in the scheme of things. Indeed, that this work was simple was why ScotRail did a 3-way swap with 319s to the south WCML and didn't just take 319s themselves - 319s have a compressor unit on the trailer, there's no coach with no essential equipment on it.
They didn’t change the livery or the seating layout initially! They basically turned up with the number changed, a coach removed and small ScotRail door stickers. I thought a compressor did need to be moved though? Could be wrong on that one.

chuff chuff

From scotrail twitter

You’ll be able to catch upgraded #Inter7City high-speed trains on the following services today

2b07.svg
1111 Glasgow Queen St - Inverness 1245 Aberdeen - Edinburgh 1605 Edinburgh - Aberdeen 1624 Inverness - Glasgow Queen St

hexagon789

Veteran Member
From scotrail twitter

You’ll be able to catch upgraded #Inter7City high-speed trains on the following services today

2b07.svg
1111 Glasgow Queen St - Inverness 1245 Aberdeen - Edinburgh 1605 Edinburgh - Aberdeen 1624 Inverness - Glasgow Queen St

Is this the first use of a refurb set out of Glasgow and Inverness in passenger service?

Highlandspring

Established Member
Is this the first use of a refurb set out of Glasgow and Inverness in passenger service?
One of the refurbished sets worked out of Queen Street on Aberdeen services for a day in March or April. It was noted on this thread if you feel like trawling back through it all.

Clansman

Established Member
One refurbished set (HA25), which was sitting at Perth for training at the time, ran a few services between Glasgow Queen Street and Dundee a couple of months ago, during engineering works when Aberdeen was temporarily blocked off from the south.

3 refurbished sets out today, 2 on the HML!!!
Also, don't see any short forming today, I'm guessing they have enough crew for today services

Established Member
Unicorns, sorry refurbed HSTs, running about in the Highlands, whatever next? I suspect that this'll be a Sunday only thing for the next, what, two years?

Only joking, but to bring us back to reality, I can tell you that the 1809 Queen Street-Inverness was a 158 on Friday evening. That was cosy.

route101

Established Member
Any of the weekday Glasgow to Inverness services going over to HST this week ? the 0710 or 1010?

Status
Not open for further replies.