• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highland37

Established Member
Many don't try the train as they have bus passes but the issue with that is they often don't turn up it's so cheap. That's a separate issue though.

Wabtec appear to have settled into a roughly six week time between sets which whilst being painfully slow and very late, is at least slightly more steady relative to this time last year.

I also noted that the lights are often set to "dim" now. How it takes staff time to get used to this is beyond me. It took my daughter about 30 seconds.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Carntyne

Wabtec appear to have settled into a roughly six week time between sets which whilst being painfully slow and very late, is at least slightly more steady relative to this time last year.
From the looks of things, they've had 3 sets delivered in the past 3 weeks.

trebor79

Established Member

59CosG95

Established Member
Saw the 4 coaches departing Ely for Doncaster. Power cars in Inter7ity livery.
Stupid question time, why don't the coaches from Haymarket go for refurbishment? What's the point of swapping them with stored coaches at Ely?
1 of the 4 coaches in each 'classic' set is a TGS, which aren't in ScotRail's 4-car refurbs.
Classic layout: TF/TS/TS/TGS.
Refurb layout: TFMB/TS/TS/TS.
The TGS is dumped at Ely and exchanged for another TS; the other 3 coaches have to tag along all the way to Ely & back presumably to minimise shunting time.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Okay. Dunno what I was thinking then.... Thanks mate.

It's come up before and seems to be a carry over from when the HSTs were first introduced, but after modifications were made to the brakes a few years into the 1980s, there was no longer any real difference in stopping distance between short and long sets.

Ranmor

1509 GLQ to INV, Classic HST, abandoned at Perth today because a door wouldn't stay shut. Much banging with hammers to no avail. Abandon ship called at 1630. Passengers with ScotRail tickets told to wait until 1910 for next service.

BRX

Established Member
1509 GLQ to INV, Classic HST, abandoned at Perth today because a door wouldn't stay shut. Much banging with hammers to no avail. Abandon ship called at 1630. Passengers with ScotRail tickets told to wait until 1910 for next service.
Not allowed to take the LNER service?

leightonbd

Not all gloom. My two journeys yesterday (Edinburgh -Aberdeen return) were both refurb HSTs and both ran on time. Good loadings and could do with the fifth carriage if that is ever an option. On one the catering was a trolley and the other (the southbound) they used the buffet. The FC (which I did not use) looked very attractive.

That vertical bike storage facility has trouble written all over it though. People were reversing bikes in and leaving them sticking out into the gangway.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I know its not what you meant but (my bolding) if taken literally thats slightly scary :o:lol:

I meant there's no reason, post-early 1980s brake mods, that two power cars alone couldn't run at 125mph and stop within the distances required by the W125 braking curve, but I think you got that? :lol:

Not all gloom. My two journeys yesterday (Edinburgh -Aberdeen return) were both refurb HSTs and both ran on time. Good loadings and could do with the fifth carriage if that is ever an option. On one the catering was a trolley and the other (the southbound) they used the buffet. The FC (which I did not use) looked very attractive.

That vertical bike storage facility has trouble written all over it though. People were reversing bikes in and leaving them sticking out into the gangway.

Agreed about the extra trailers, can't come soon enough really and the cycle storage is a joke, it's been a joke since Day 1.

greyman42

Established Member
Could they not have just locked it?

Aictos

Established Member
1 of the 4 coaches in each 'classic' set is a TGS, which aren't in ScotRail's 4-car refurbs.
Classic layout: TF/TS/TS/TGS.
Refurb layout: TFMB/TS/TS/TS.
The TGS is dumped at Ely and exchanged for another TS; the other 3 coaches have to tag along all the way to Ely & back presumably to minimise shunting time.

Why couldn’t they just convert the TGS coaches to provide a 1st Class coach eg make it a Trailer Guard First and instead convert a TF to Trailer Standard?

That would make more sense as not only would you get more seats in Standard but you would also have a decent luggage area for cycles and luggage etc

Never knew quite why any TOC never did this when it’s fairly obvious it would provide more seats.

marks87

Established Member
Why couldn’t they just convert the TGS coaches to provide a 1st Class coach eg make it a Trailer Guard First and instead convert a TF to Trailer Standard?

That would make more sense as not only would you get more seats in Standard but you would also have a decent luggage area for cycles and luggage etc

Never knew quite why any TOC never did this when it’s fairly obvious it would provide more seats.

So are you advocating removing the buffet? That’s the only way you’d get more standard seats in a 4 or 5 coach set using your idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.