• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
So are you advocating removing the buffet? That’s the only way you’d get more standard seats in a 4 or 5 coach set using your idea.

No simply in a 5 car formation you have a Trailer Guard First - Trailer Buffet Standard - Trailer Standard - Trailer Standard - Trailer Standard eg 5 coaches with the two power cars which would give better seating capacity plus a decent space to put cycles.

For the likes of LNER if they still had the HSTs, they should have operated them Trailer Guard First - Trailer First - Trailer First - Trailer Buffet Standard - Trailer Standard - Trailer Standard - Trailer Standard - Trailer Standard - Trailer Standard with the TGS being swapped with a TF and the TBF being converted to Standard so they have the same layout as the Mk4s.

Not rocket science at all!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Why couldn’t they just convert the TGS coaches to provide a 1st Class coach eg make it a Trailer Guard First and instead convert a TF to Trailer Standard?

That would make more sense as not only would you get more seats in Standard but you would also have a decent luggage area for cycles and luggage etc

Never knew quite why any TOC never did this when it’s fairly obvious it would provide more seats.

Makes more sense to use the buffet in ScotRail's case. A TGS fully converted to First Class would be too much space for first really.

marks87

Established Member
No simply in a 5 car formation you have a Trailer Guard First - Trailer Buffet Standard - Trailer Standard - Trailer Standard - Trailer Standard eg 5 coaches with the two power cars which would give better seating capacity plus a decent space to put cycles.

I still don’t understand.

The refurbs have a half coach of first class (a Trailer Buffet First). If and when they expand to 5 cars, slotting in a Trailer Guard Standard will give more standard class seats than your proposal, without needing any refits.

On Moderation
For the likes of LNER if they still had the HSTs, they should have operated them Trailer Guard First - Trailer First - Trailer First - Trailer Buffet Standard - Trailer Standard - Trailer Standard - Trailer Standard - Trailer Standard - Trailer Standard with the TGS being swapped with a TF and the TBF being converted to Standard so they have the same layout as the Mk4s.
But which actually provides fewer seats than the way they were configured.

I rather think that GNER, NXEC, East Coast and VTEC knew rather more about the loadings in first and standard class on their booked trains than you do, which is why they were configured as they were. The same, no doubt, applies to ScotRail.

Aictos

Established Member
But which actually provides fewer seats than the way they were configured.

I rather think that GNER, NXEC, East Coast and VTEC knew rather more about the loadings in first and standard class on their booked trains than you do, which is why they were configured as they were. The same, no doubt, applies to ScotRail.

I'm sure a Trailer Standard has more seats then a Trailer Guard Standard.

On Moderation
I'm sure a Trailer Standard has more seats then a Trailer Guard Standard.
And I'm sure that a TGS has more seats than a TRSB.

For the East Coast fleet you were proposing having a TGF in place of a TRFB for first class - which is an increase in first class seating. Likewise that can only mean a TRSB in place of a TGS. Which is a reduction in seats.

Established Member
I rather think that GNER, NXEC, East Coast and VTEC knew rather more about the loadings in first and standard class on their booked trains than you do, which is why they were configured as they were.
Sure
The same, no doubt, applies to ScotRail.
Not so sure

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Hello everyone. How's the Scotrail HST refurbishment doing - meaning how many services are now running as a refurbished HST / how many of the modernised sets do Scotrail now have?

Just asking so I know how big the chances are of me catching an Inter7city HST on the 11:32 from Edinburgh to Aberdeen on the 17/04/20.

route101

Established Member
Hello everyone. How's the Scotrail HST refurbishment doing - meaning how many services are now running as a refurbished HST / how many of the modernised sets do Scotrail now have?

Just asking so I know how big the chances are of me catching an Inter7city HST on the 11:32 from Edinburgh to Aberdeen on the 17/04/20.

Probably a good chance . Make sure you ask on twitter ,

hexagon789

Veteran Member

There are 13 refurb sets available for service, and it's getting rarer to see Classic sets, not sure if they still do but, at the beginning of the day, ScotRail used to tweet a list of Inter7City worked services. They might not given the increased numbers in traffic now.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Thanks to both route101 and hexagon789 :).

I'll tweet / DM Scotrail in the morning.

If it's a classic set then it is - still the same First Class colours and every door is a slam door.

I'd rather an HST than a DMU substitution.

On Moderation
It’s been reported elsewhere that 43185 has now moved to Haymarket to join 43018 to be a spare part donor for the ScotRail fleet.

Established Member

Recently around 10 sets out on a weekday (9 yesterday) from the reports I have seen on Facebook with 2 to 3 being classics. Today and yesterday the 1132 has been a referb set.

Established Member
I'm not convinced that things are going as well as some are making out on here.

Haymarket depot was stuffed full of HSTs going nowhere yesterday morning. On the Highland Main Line over the the past week I've only seen classics, and I haven't travelled on anything other than 158s and 170s over the past month.

Now maybe I've been unlucky, but to me it doesn't feel any better now than it did six months ago.

Speed43125

Haymarket depot was stuffed full of HSTs going nowhere yesterday morning. On the Highland Main Line over the the past week I've only seen classics, and I haven't travelled on anything other than 158s and 170s over the past month.

Now maybe I've been unlucky, but to me it doesn't feel any better now than it did six months ago.
I will agree many DMUs are still operating though I've not seen a 2 car 158 in ages now. Most HSTs are refurbs, and today I've seen one diagram operating out of Glasgow in GWR green, the rest were refurbs.
I'd say at least half of services are HSTs, on most days most services that I see (that's trains out of GLQ) are refurb HST. I will agree, it seems a little down compared to a week ago, but it's not that bad either, IMO obviously.

JohnMcL7

Still not had a chance to try an HST as the last two trips I took a couple of weeks ago were substituted by turbostars :(

Northhighland

Been travelling a bit less over the last month but the four round trips from Inverness have all been refurbs and very decent journeys.

Certainly seem to have got on top of the reliability, some credit must go to them for the improvement

Notice though the livery on the power cars isn’t standing up all that well. A lot of them look tatty and dirty and not like shiny refurbs.

Highland37

Established Member
I've had two HST trips, one broke down at Perth and the other was a classic, and two units. A few weeks ago it seemed like they were getting somewhere but clearly the units are still needed to fill in for the HSTs.

John Bishop

Remember that not all HML services are HST, there’s still a very small number of services booked as HSTs on the HML, so you will still likely end up on a unit for most of the diagrams. There should be more booked at May timetable change.

Status
Not open for further replies.