• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stathern Jc

Re comments on earlier movements North from Wabtec.
It's interesting to see that this one is running direct through Waverley. And in what would normally be the start of the rush hour.

InOban

Established Member
Usually the delivery is about two weeks after the power cars go south to be joined up. But I haven't yet seen the next such movement. It may be that the later stages of the refurbishment are easier to carry out with Distancing, but there could still be delays with later sets. We'll have to wait and see.

ER158715

For those that are interested in such things, HA26 is now back together with the PCs from HA21 (43035/026) and should be back in traffic later this week after it’s C4/C6 exams.

InvHst

For those that are interested in such things, HA26 is now back together with the PCs from HA21 (43035/026) and should be back in traffic later this week after it’s C4/C6 exams.

Any news on the set in Inverness in pieces I know 43138 is one of the power cars seems to have been in an age

ER158715

43130/138 are spares as far as I know. The heater unit was out of the cab of the south facing one.
HA21 now in bits for its C exam. Usually 4-6 before it’s back together depending on which individual coach needs what exam.

CEN60

Does anyone know if the HST's are operating all of the services on Gla - Inverness / Gla - Aberdeen or are there still some served by 170 or god forbid 158's?

route101

Established Member
Does anyone know if the HST's are operating all of the services on Gla - Inverness / Gla - Aberdeen or are there still some served by 170 or god forbid 158's?

Not sure but the reduction in freq will help.

Stathern Jc

A search on RTT shows the number of coaches on Scotrail services operated by 170s and 158s, and a look at a specific service shows the unit in question though there may be exceptions. I think Scotrail are in probably a small minority who include this.
Otherwise HST services show as Diesel hauled + 324 Tonnes.
For example, a search for Scotrail services through Culloden today shows 10 HST services and 8 170s.

Last edited:

The diagrams are watered down presently due to the travel restrictions but several hst sets are usual out still according to what was posted a number of weeks back. On normal diagrams the Aberdeen to Dundee line has the highest number in use with services running to a mix of Edinburgh and Glasgow. Inverness to Perth and Edinburgh/Glasgow under the normal timetable has been more evenly split between hst sets and units although it's possibly slightly more units still. Inverness to Aberdeen mostly units still with just a few early morning and evening services and a return trip in the daytime from Inverness if my memory is correct (which is off an early Glasgow arrival).

There is a diagrams section on another post elsewhere that shows what would run without travel restrictions in place.

Once all 26 sets are in traffic will all Central Belt to Aberdeen and Inverness be HST ?

Originally that was the plan Scotrail seemed to suggest. An odd service would still need units on it in each direction to balance the fleet out and assist with dmu maintenance schedules. I understand some of the current services that do that run with up to 3 units coupled together. It's probably also necessary to keep crews competent on both 158s and 170s as hst sets will still be subject to failures.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It's probably also necessary to keep crews competent on both 158s and 170s as hst sets will still be subject to failures.

Wouldn't that be covered by the total number of sets? There being of course more sets than diagrams to account for maintenance and possibly a serviceable spare.

py_megapixel

Established Member

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Why does that move say "Starts as HST, changes en route?" Will it do part of its journey under its own power and part behind another loco, and if so why?

That's the timing load rather than booked traction. Presumably it is booked at 125mph HST running times initially and changes to slower sectional running times later in the journey

Clansman

Established Member
Originally that was the plan Scotrail seemed to suggest. An odd service would still need units on it in each direction to balance the fleet out and assist with dmu maintenance schedules. I understand some of the current services that do that run with up to 3 units coupled together. It's probably also necessary to keep crews competent on both 158s and 170s as hst sets will still be subject to failures.
No depot has exclusive I7C diagrams, so it's not as if there was ever going to be a lack of competence on 158s/170.

So I'd be very surprised if any changes are required to keep crews competent, as well as to change the current arrangement of keeping all I7C services through Aberdeen which start/terminate at Perth/Dundee, DMU operated for rotating the fleets.

170/158 operated services served by HST trained depots include:

Tayside locals (Aberdeen, Dundee, Perth, Edinburgh, Glasgow)
Aberdeenshire locals (Aberdeen, Inverness, Perth, Dundee)
Fife Circle (Perth, Dundee, Edinburgh)
Anniesland (Glasgow only)
Invernessshire locals/FNL (Inverness only)

Correct me if I'm wrong on this but that's the general jist.

The new Tayside locals and Aberdeenshire locals at hourly frequencies pretty much off-sets what is lost from DMU workings being replaced by HSTs.

InOban

Established Member
That's the timing load rather than booked traction. Presumably it is booked at 125mph HST running times initially and changes to slower sectional running times later in the journey
If you look at the details of the path, it changes at Millerhill. I can't think why they've bothered to put this detail in on this occasion. Even then it's apparently pathed for 100mph round the Sub, which would be quite something!

Status
Not open for further replies.