• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
That's the timing load rather than booked traction. Presumably it is booked at 125mph HST running times initially and changes to slower sectional running times later in the journey
If you look at the details of the path, it changes at Millerhill. I can't think why they've bothered to put this detail in on this occasion.
Fair enough. So I assume it's moving under its own power rather than hauled by something else then?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Fair enough. So I assume it's moving under its own power rather than hauled by something else then?

That's certainly how they've been moving them, I don't see why that would change unless there was a power car failure but even then I think they'd just send fresh ones

hexagon789

Veteran Member
If you look at the details of the path, it changes at Millerhill. I can't think why they've bothered to put this detail in on this occasion. Even then it's apparently pathed for 100mph round the Sub, which would be quite something!

The speeds RTT lists for some trains remains a constant source of amusement to me!

The change does seem a little strange given previous workings have had 125mph timing throughout, all I can think is it changes part of its sectional running timings at that point and it's simply the way RTT shows that?

Certainly I've seen working timetables where services are timed in different categories on the same line, each category has a maximum running speed but you couldn't actually attain that on the route, so perhaps RTT works similarly if you understand what I'm getting at

louis97

Established Member
The change does seem a little strange given previous workings have had 125mph timing throughout, all I can think is it changes part of its sectional running timings at that point and it's simply the way RTT shows that?

Yes, this is a change of timing load, hence the "changes en route" in the train info section.

Certainly I've seen working timetables where services are timed in different categories on the same line, each category has a maximum running speed but you couldn't actually attain that on the route, so perhaps RTT works similarly if you understand what I'm getting at

The timing load typically indicate the maximum speed of the traction to which it relates, I say typically because this isn't always the case. The individual running times between timing points takes into account the line speed available to that particular traction, which won't always be as high as the speed indicated.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yes, this is a change of timing load, hence the "changes en route" in the train info section.

The timing load typically indicate the maximum speed of the traction to which it relates, I say typically because this isn't always the case. The individual running times between timing points takes into account the line speed available to that particular traction, which won't always be as high as the speed indicated.

Thanks, looks like I surmised correctly then, more-or-less

InOban

Established Member
No sign of a replacement path yet.
But would a path from Haymarket depot to Doncaster west yard on Tuesday be the next power cars?

Wouldn't that be covered by the total number of sets? There being of course more sets than diagrams to account for maintenance and possibly a serviceable spare.

Yes, on paper. In practice set failures occur with any type of traction throughout the operating day (not always at convenient moments) so what replaces a hst if it was to fail after start of the diagram would be based on where it happened and what was available, fuelled and with a crew to fetch it to the appropriate station where applicable. In fact some failures now and in the future would cause services to be part cancelled and possibly an odd part of the diagram. Say for arguments sake SR had 4 spare hst sets where they are normally found could vary although Haymarket is the logical answer, being maintenance home. You could also have a hot spare at Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen or even Perth in theory but whether any such things will ever happen would depend on what works best for the operator (which it will no doubt have thought about already). If one or more of the above ever did have a standby it could be rotated daily with the active diagrams. If not then it's 158s or 170s if any are spare or can be robbed via a short form somewhere else in the event of a hst failing.

SC318250

Path in for Monday from Wabtec to Haymarket
Also path in for pc move to Doncaster on Tuesday from Haymarket

InOban

Established Member
Path in for Monday from Wabtec to Haymarket
Also path in for pc move to Doncaster on Tuesday from Haymarket
I know we've all been guilty of not checking previous posts to avoid duplication, but I did post this just two posts ago....

Status
Not open for further replies.