• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail New and Refurbished Stock update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
My WHL magazine suggests that the gauging of the WHL for 158s will cost £9million. Can't think why. The locals will furious if we're stuck with 156s, refurbished even.

158s are slight narrower, slightly taller and slightly longer than 156s. In Wales Network Rail refused to clear 158s for some lines because they have slower to release doors so would be unable to run to class 150 timings unless they can also run at over 75mph on sections.

pemma

Veteran Member
Need to wait and see but the 10 units which have not been fitted with DAS, new forward facing CCTV and new lighting are all WHL units.

Does that mean some other route(s) will get 158s in lieu of 156s or does it mean Scotrail will be retaining 156s they planned to release for that purpose?

scotraildriver

Established Member
The platform edge at Tyndrum lower has been moved back a few inches this week. Maybe relevant or not.

stantheman

On Moderation
How many 158s are still in Barbie livery , must be less than 10
Got 158728 and 738 in this livery on Tweedbanks on Sat

InOban

Established Member
158s are slight narrower, slightly taller and slightly longer than 156s. In Wales Network Rail refused to clear 158s for some lines because they have slower to release doors so would be unable to run to class 150 timings unless they can also run at over 75mph on sections.
Why would 18cm cost £9m?
And even with the updated RETB, the station dwell time will be plenty long enough to allow for the doors.

route101

Established Member
Have more 156s returned to service in the last few days? There was an additional 6 car service on the East Kilbride route this morning.

How many 6 car 156 services are on EK services each way ? I thought it was just 1 or 2

ScottDarg

158726 left KBRS Springburn this morning following refurbishment. 158732 arrived for refurbishment this afternoon.

57301 arrived at Springburn this afternoon, presumably to move 320314 to Shields and bring the next 3203xx in for refurb.

dm.701

Surely, with regards to 158s on the WHL, the best option would be to continue running refurb 156s until they are life expired along with 158s and replace them with specific new build DMUs for the WHL/Kyle/Far North lines. Something 172-esque with end gangways and appropriate gearing for the gradients etc. They could be part of a larger order of DMUs to also operate the GSW/Stranraer services when the Sprinter's time is up.

InOban

Established Member
With the government having decided that there will be no DMUs by 2040, and since we expect new vehicles to have a 30year life, no new dmus will be built. And the existing 172s have bogies with a wheelbase too long for the WHL.

dm.701

With the government having decided that there will be no DMUs by 2040, and since we expect new vehicles to have a 30year life, no new dmus will be built. And the existing 172s have bogies with a wheelbase too long for the WHL.

Will be interesting to see what happens considering the chance of these lines being electrified (bar the GSW) seems pretty minimal. My guess is some Sprinters will be with us for a long time yet.

fgwrich

Established Member
Surely, with regards to 158s on the WHL, the best option would be to continue running refurb 156s until they are life expired along with 158s and replace them with specific new build DMUs for the WHL/Kyle/Far North lines. Something 172-esque with end gangways and appropriate gearing for the gradients etc. They could be part of a larger order of DMUs to also operate the GSW/Stranraer services when the Sprinter's time is up.

Of all the units in Britain a 172 type DMU would be highly unlikely and unsuitable for lines like the West Highland - units with 1/3 2/3 doors are not as well liked on intercity routes in Scotland now with the franchise spec now requiring intercity type units with the doors at the outer ends. Although these routes are hardly Intercity type, I can't see them finding units with a more suburban layout heading up that way. Besides, I wouldn't want to be sat on a 172 with the doors open at somewhere like Rannoch in the middle of winter!

Chris125

Established Member

The minister said "I would like to see us take all diesel-only trains off the track by 2040" - an aspiration, for now at least, and one that doesn't rule out diesel bi-modes.

Last edited:

Established Member
I apologise if this has already been mentioned, but does anyone know what's happening to the five remaining Eversholt owned Class 170s?

I apologise if this has already been mentioned, but does anyone know what's happening to the five remaining Eversholt owned Class 170s?

It was planned that the remaining 5 units would be sent to Southern and become Class 171s, but at the moment they're stuck with ScotRail.

Mordac

Established Member
It was planned that the remaining 5 units would be sent to Southern and become Class 171s, but at the moment they're stuck with ScotRail.
It's been reported online that Southern doesn't want them anymore, due to the issues they had with converting them to 171s, but there's been no official word has to their fate yet, at least none that I've seen.

Established Member

It's been reported online that Southern doesn't want them anymore, due to the issues they had with converting them to 171s, but there's been no official word has to their fate yet, at least none that I've seen.

Thanks, both.

dm.701

Always happy when one of these turns up. Despite being temporary, I think the plain blue looks smart on them and I always preferred the First Group interior over Saltire.

CJSwan

Always happy when one of these turns up. Despite being temporary, I think the plain blue looks smart on them and I always preferred the First Group interior over Saltire.

Isn't it still the original National Express interior from when they were built?

Mingulay

My WHL magazine suggests that the gauging of the WHL for 158s will cost £9million. Can't think why. The locals will furious if we're stuck with 156s, refurbished even.

A question for those that know. The 158 refurb looks good. But now I have time to experience them my comments are. Why did the seats have to be so padded. .? I hate to complain as the old seats were so bad as they were life expired. But the gap between table and the seat is tight for your average Scottish midrift ! It can make for an uncomfortable journey when your seated for a while in a cramped position. For the bigger frame the table edge can cut off your circulation to your legs! You could have a deep vein thrombosis by the time you get to Polmont !

Also. Arm rests! Are they needed ? They flop about and catch your coat and bag as you move about. It narrows the passage. Bearing in mind so many of us have to stand like sardines in the passage they are a nuisance. Be better to take them off and give more room? it would also make the guards movement along the passage easier, more width.

The 156 refurb I think is excellent. I would rather use them. Feel more spacious and the new seats are good .

Final point. Is there a seat design that is a one piece cushion and seat back. What ruins the over all impression for the passenger is dirty seats. the gap at the base of the back rest soon gets full of dirt crumbs and food debris. The cleaning regime just does not address this. Abellio. Get a Dyson with the nozzle attachment for heavens sake! Even just once a week. Oh. And under the seats too. More often gets ignored.

dm.701

Isn't it still the original National Express interior from when they were built?

You're correct, I am mistaken. I guess that means these units have never been refurbished internally since new in 1999/2000?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

If they don't want them, Northern might do well to snap them up, as it needs more Northern Connect spec DMUs, which the Class 170 can quite easily meet.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A question for those that know. The 158 refurb looks good. But now I have time to experience them my comments are. Why did the seats have to be so padded. .? I hate to complain as the old seats were so bad as they were life expired. But the gap between table and the seat is tight for your average Scottish midrift ! It can make for an uncomfortable journey when your seated for a while in a cramped position. For the bigger frame the table edge can cut off your circulation to your legs! You could have a deep vein thrombosis by the time you get to Polmont !

Also. Arm rests! Are they needed ? They flop about and catch your coat and bag as you move about. It narrows the passage. Bearing in mind so many of us have to stand like sardines in the passage they are a nuisance. Be better to take them off and give more room? it would also make the guards movement along the passage easier, more width.

The 156 refurb I think is excellent. I would rather use them. Feel more spacious and the new seats are good .

Final point. Is there a seat design that is a one piece cushion and seat back. What ruins the over all impression for the passenger is dirty seats. the gap at the base of the back rest soon gets full of dirt crumbs and food debris. The cleaning regime just does not address this. Abellio. Get a Dyson with the nozzle attachment for heavens sake! Even just once a week. Oh. And under the seats too. More often gets ignored.

I believe there are some Class 700s down South that people don't seem to like, perhaps you could take those in exchange for a 2-car DMU per unit, I'm sure they will be happy. And I think VTEC have some spare single piece seat cushions in blue and grey?

:D

Re cleaning their regime seems very specific, they are for example one of the many TOCs (and hotels) who can't be bothered running a brush along air vents and leave filth to build up on them (this job would take a few minutes per coach because you could simply walk along the train running the brush along the vents before cleaning other items). Really grates as it shows poor attention to detail. In a hotel, as I normally stay on my own, I tend to use one of the spare towels to do their job for them, not so practical on the train.

gingertom

Established Member

I can see iLint hydrogen powered trains on the WHL eventually.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I can see iLint hydrogen powered trains on the WHL eventually.

If we get to the point where "scenic lines" are the only purpose for DMUs or equivalent, it would be nice to have a set of specifically designed scenic line DMUs with panoramic views etc. I really think we undermarket our scenic lines, the Swiss are much better at this.

superkev

Established Member
If we get to the point where "scenic lines" are the only purpose for DMUs or equivalent, it would be nice to have a set of specifically designed scenic line DMUs with panoramic views etc. I really think we undermarket our scenic lines, the Swiss are much better at this.
This has been suggested many times over the years and sadly nothing has happened. Big opportunity.
K

Status
Not open for further replies.