Scotrail New and Refurbished Stock update

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by Altnabreac, 21 Dec 2015.

1. scotraildriver

scotraildriver Member

156492 on the WHL today, the first fully refurbished unit on the route.

2. TheAlbanach_

TheAlbanach_ Member

Will they cope on the WHL with the luggage racks removed? Or have the ones used on that line retained them?

3. scotraildriver

scotraildriver Member

The luggage racks haven't been removed. Why on earth would they be?

4. TheAlbanach_

TheAlbanach_ Member

The ones I've been on have been, the seats are there without arm rests. There are racks at the bike bit there too, but surely that's not ideal when there are bikes on...

5. scotraildriver

scotraildriver Member

The ex SPT units don't have luggage racks at the inner ends of the coaches. The racks at the cycle area fold up if required for bikes.

6. Clansman

Clansman Established Member

Heard a new automated announcement (or an old one of many from those omitted after the NatEx days that's conjured itself up again) on 170419 today regarding ticket barriers at stations. Out of curiosity, does anyone know whether this been reinstated into the list of phrases that the PIS plays and displays, or is it a new addition completely? Never sounded like a new addition given the audible distinction new additions have in the system (take 'Edinburgh Gateway' for example).

7. youngac

youngac Member

They recorded a new batch of announcements for the 385's PIS system so the phrase you heard might be a new one.

8. Clansman

Clansman Established Member

I initially thought that, but it never had the same quality nor tone as those on the 385s, which made me think it was from the portfolio of NatEx ScotRail ones that was discontinued.

9. GrimShady

GrimShady Member

Any pictures of the refurb 156?

10. applepie2100

applepie2100 Member

I had a journey on 156478 this morning and the thing that still stands out is the piss-poor quality the TrainFX PIS screens. The refresh rate on them is terrible and to me it feels like they're constantly flickering when they're scrolling. It's pretty obvious that the TrainFX system was chosen because it was cheap/nasty (take your pick) rather than picking a good quality solution.

11. 380101

380101 Member

The TrainFX system is terrible. About 75% of the refurbished 156 units have problems with it, where it wont make audible anouncements due to "software" issues. Some of them came delivered back from KBSpringburn like this. The whole quality control on the 156 refurb has been almost non existant!

12. JModulo

JModulo Member

I dont think there has been 2 done yet which are the same... even if some of it is silly things.

13. GrimShady

GrimShady Member

Sounds like another total disaster.

14. applepie2100

applepie2100 Member

Is that not pretty normal for KBRS though? I’m sure I’ve read stories of things like paint overspray all over the place in and missing driving desk labels in cabs to name but a few things.

15. GrimShady

GrimShady Member

I remember reading about all kinds of poor workmanship when they did the 158s last year.

Last edited: 14 Sep 2018
  16. route101

route101 Established Member

Wonder what the root issue is? Poor training ?

17. GrimShady

GrimShady Member

Piss poor management/oversight I would imagine, something that seems to effect most operations these days in a variety of industries.

Some of the paneling in the 158 vestibule areas was a joke. I remember one example last year not long out the works leaking brown water badly near the drivers cab. Very shoddy!

18. The_Engineer

The_Engineer Member

I place some blame with the train owner or the operator. Whichever company has placed the order should do a detailed inspection before accepting the trains. It does not remove responsibility from the contractor to get it right, but customer inspection keeps them on their toes......

19. InOban

InOban Established Member

Am I right that KBRS recently sold the works?

20. route101

route101 Established Member

Got images of the local Neds on a work experience scheme ! I know its not the case !