• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SkinnyDave

Established Member
I applied for Perth as well but no word yet. My thinking is bigger depots are being done first then will follow the smallest ones. I'm hoping that's the case anyway

Perth is a big train crew depot mate 91 drivers and growing

Daz9284

Mine is highways engineer (designer and site engineer) and high voltage electricity distribution (development engineer and site engineer)

also have railway background as father used to work for BREL (and now works for Freightliner - non driver) and I'm a volunteer support crew member on a couple of steam locos

regards,
darryl

Dunc1876

I just thought with my background Id have least have got looked at as was a strong application in my eyes - but obviously wasn't meant to be

Jydo

Dunc - dont forget that alot of the process comes down to being very fortunate and extremely lucky.......dont be disheartened by the whole thing & dont count yourself out until they tell you otherwise.....

St Mikey

I applied for Perth as well but no word yet. My thinking is bigger depots are being done first then will follow the smallest ones. I'm hoping that's the case anyway

If you've applied for Perth I hope you understand it's one of the biggest depots in Scotland.

We have nearly 100 drivers and 70 guards at present and will only increase further. Perth is bigger than Aberdeen, Queen Street, Dundee etc.

Some have had had knock backs, some been at stage 1 on assessments, some on MMI as well.

Perth is a sought after depot and there's been a large interest internally for that Depot so you might need to wait.

From what I was told there was 1,200 internal applications within the 20,000 odds.

Markos72

I would be interested to find out other people's background / employment. I'm applying from an architectural role.

Network Rail Sig and telecomms tech,also thought coming from a railway background would have been an advantage.

Joe SPAD

If you've applied for Perth I hope you understand it's one of the biggest depots in Scotland.

We have nearly 100 drivers and 70 guards at present and will only increase further. Perth is bigger than Aberdeen, Queen Street, Dundee etc.

Some have had had knock backs, some been at stage 1 on assessments, some on MMI as well.

Perth is a sought after depot and there's been a large interest internally for that Depot so you might need to wait.

From what I was told there was 1,200 internal applications within the 20,000 odds.

I didn't realise perth depot was that big! That's better news in fact as they'll probably be looking to recruit a higher percentage of the 100 trainees needed!

387star

On Moderation
Is it still true you can pass everything (stage one, managers interview, stage two) and then not be placed on a reserve list (talent pool) for whatever reason? Some poor guys had that happen earlier in the thread wasn't sure if that was just an unusual occurrence for scotrail

If the managers interview is before stage two then surely they would get rid of anyone then they didn't want or is it because qualified freight men are perhaps rightly taking jobs thanks to aslef

Last edited:

Apparently, one day last week all of the interviewees were either forces or emergency services and not one of them passed.

Spartafan

I would be interested to find out other people's background / employment. I'm applying from an architectural role.

My career has varied from being a time served electrician to obtaining a degree in Electrical Engineering through further education and I am working for one of the biggest employers in Scotland who sends us on every health and safety courses,so we can man manage projects without any incidents,as well as adhering to the Incorparated Electrical Engineers regulations and the British Standards regulations 7671.

I have came to the conclusion that they are merely looking for people who are a "blank canvas" and can be nurtured/trained into what they are looking for.

Obviously, they are looking for value for money regarding training/service and are probably looking at candidates who have at least minimum 35 years service in them.

I am 40 years old and would HAVE been taking a massive pay cut to train but would earn roughly the same when qualified.

I applied,as I am quite fortunate to have affordable outgoings each month,which would allow me to survive during the training period and was really interested in training as a train driver and learn new skills.

End of the day,it's just my opinion!!

notadriver

Established Member
My career has varied from being a time served electrician to obtaining a degree in Electrical Engineering through further education and I am working for one of the biggest employers in Scotland who sends us on every health and safety courses,so we can man manage projects without any incidents,as well as adhering to the Incorparated Electrical Engineers regulations and the British Standards regulations 7671.

I have came to the conclusion that they are merely looking for people who are a "blank canvas" and can be nurtured/trained into what they are looking for.

Obviously, they are looking for value for money regarding training/service and are probably looking at candidates who have at least minimum 35 years service in them.

I am 40 years old and would HAVE been taking a massive pay cut to train but would earn roughly the same when qualified.

I applied,as I am quite fortunate to have affordable outgoings each month,which would allow me to survive during the training period and was really interested in training as a train driver and learn new skills.

End of the day,it's just my opinion!!

You make it sound like Scotrail should be grateful you applied at all. What makes you so sure you know what they are looking for in applicants or that you would pass the intensive training required ?

Last edited:

theironroad

Established Member
I hope nobody who has applied takes non-progression of their application personally.

From recent posts, there is loads of experience which would be suitable,but this really is a numbers game. If 22135 people applied including internals and qualified drivers from other companies (like me) with a 100odd vacancies, the chances are slim for all of us.

Congratulations to all those who do get through though...

Spartafan

You make it sound like Scotrail should be grateful you applied at all. What makes you so sure you know what they are looking for in applicants or that you would pass the intensive training required ?

No offence,but in my current employment with full sick pay,a final salary pension scheme, flexible working time,personal healthcare,every public holiday,every weekend off and 28 days annual leave!!

It will take something special to tempt me to leave my current employment and comfort zone to learn new skills at the age of 40.

I have 3 friends who are train drivers and they enjoy similar benefit and conditions as me and they where surprised that I didn't even get a response....yet!!

Maybe,I don't have the attribute's they are looking for but reflecting on my life experience's and academic achievements, I have surely merited a response,bearing in mind my friends are great at their jobs and nudged me in the right direction when applying.

paepo

Is it still true you can pass everything (stage one, managers interview, stage two) and then not be placed on a reserve list (talent pool) for whatever reason? Some poor guys had that happen earlier in the thread wasn't sure if that was just an unusual occurrence for scotrail

If the managers interview is before stage two then surely they would get rid of anyone then they didn't want or is it because qualified freight men are perhaps rightly taking jobs thanks to aslef

Yes, this has been stated to candidates when being informed of DMI pass and told of their progression to Stage 2 assessments.

Last edited:

Jydo

I dont think they are looking for "blank canvases" nor do I think they are looking for younger applicants who have 35 years of service to offer. At my 1st stage assessment there were 2 candidates present who were approx 50 years of age and as far as I know at least one of them has progressed to a DM interview so good for them!!!!!!

It defo is a bit of a lottery getting past the initial sift, who knows how its really done? Some people here have said its done electronically by a third party who pick out key words from your application.......who knows?

In terms of this application well my hat is still firmly in the ring here, I dont have a degree or diploma or an abundance of qualifications so sorry if that offends anyone, what I have offered Scotrail is commitment, dedication & an unselfishness attitude to keeping other people happy before myself..........I would still apply for this role if the salary was the same as my current salary as bizarrely as some of you might find that.

I find that difficult to believe - was it interviews that they didn't pass ?

I wouldn't have believed it if it hadn't came from a DTM that is directly involved in the interview process. According to them, no one on the specific day made the grade.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
what I have offered Scotrail is commitment, dedication & an unselfishness attitude to keeping other people happy before myself..........

The last thing scotrail are looking for is a people pleaser that does anything they're asked to keep others happy. You need to have the confidence to challenge people when your being asked to do something or are passed information that is incorrect. Take it as a heads up but if you come across that way in the interview you won't go any further.

Jydo

Thanks for the heads up mate but I spoke honestly at my DM interview and passed & have now been invited to the next stage so they seemed to like what I said.........thanks again

Last edited:

Andersonian

Thanks for the heads up mate but I spoke honestly at my DM interview and passed & have now been invited to the next stage.......

Congrats on passing your interview Jydo :)

How much did they end up asking you on the depot. I remember you did a lot of research into this.

Jydo

Congrats on passing your interview Jydo :)

How much did they end up asking you on the depot. I remember you did a lot of research into this.

Thanks!! Yeah that question did pop up at my DM interview and they seemed happy with what I said. Definetely glad I did the research

paepo

Thanks for the heads up mate but I spoke honestly at my DM interview and passed & have now been invited to the next stage so they seemed to like what I said.........thanks again

Well done on passing mate. Glad to see that you came across well and obviously made a good impression. The interviewers aren't idiots and see through people pretty easily so they must've liked what they saw in you.
Great advice you're giving there about being honest too.