• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Turbostars moving to Southern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheJRB

Established Member

fgwrich

Established Member
That looks outlandishly bizarre at Willesden Junction!

Won't be long before I have to update my DMU requirements list on my phone, which I'll be doing once they get converted to 171s. It'll be nice to see my count on 170s come down but not seeing my 171 count go up! :lol:

Definitely going to be on the Uckfield line a lot on my next DaySave then...

Seeing them at Willesden Junction isn't too bizarre - It could almost be somewhere on the Cathcart Circle or electrified suburban network of Glasgow... Unlike seeing them alongside the juice for example! :lol:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/papercliponawire/16846073678/in/photostream/lightbox/

Do we know if the work at Stewards Lane will be just a software update to Southern Spec and change of coupler, or whether they'll send them out in service in Ex ScotRail condition? If the latter is the case then I might have to take a trip to Uckfield.

Ps. I wonder if the PIS will speak in a Scottish Accent? :lol:

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
170s used to pass through Willesden Junction regularly on Anglia's rather short-lived Basingstoke services in the late 90s.

physics34

Established Member
Seeing them at Willesden Junction isn't too bizarre - It could almost be somewhere on the Cathcart Circle or electrified suburban network of Glasgow... Unlike seeing them alongside the juice for example! :lol:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/papercliponawire/16846073678/in/photostream/lightbox/

Do we know if the work at Stewards Lane will be just a software update to Southern Spec and change of coupler, or whether they'll send them out in service in Ex ScotRail condition? If the latter is the case then I might have to take a trip to Uckfield.

Ps. I wonder if the PIS will speak in a Scottish Accent? :lol:

with bagpipes lol.

They need some rewiring and will be split to make 2 and 4 cars. Id guess southern will paint/vinyl them rather than
running around in first colours! Also i assume southern sandpaper seatcovers will be needed to, lol. I assume they will become 171731, 171732, 171807 and 171808.

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
A mate of mine has commented that yesterday's move was probably the most "papped" train in the country.

I think he's probably right; there were 30 - 40+ of us lot at Kenny O alone yesterday, all of whom vanished once the move had been through...

MK Tom

Established Member
Sorry if it's already been discussed, but what numbers will these units receive when they become 171s? Will they remain 3-car too? Seeing as the existing 171s are 2/4 car.

physics34

Established Member
Sorry if it's already been discussed, but what numbers will these units receive when they become 171s? Will they remain 3-car too? Seeing as the existing 171s are 2/4 car.

discussed 3 posts ago! :lol:

will be 2 and 4s. Can only guess on numbers at the mo.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A mate of mine has commented that yesterday's move was probably the most "papped" train in the country.

I think he's probably right; there were 30 - 40+ of us lot at Kenny O alone yesterday, all of whom vanished once the move had been through...

pics going up thick and fast on flickr lol

fgwrich

Established Member
I'm surprised they came down on their own power rather than being sandwiched between a couple of 66s

Why though? If they've got their own engines - 6 in fact, why would you need to send 1 or 2 locos up to Scotland to drag a pair of DMUs down south again? None of the FGW Class 142s ran up from Exeter to Springburn and back a few years ago with any assistance, and they have even less power than a 170.

Fincra5

Established Member
Why though? If they've got their own engines - 6 in fact, why would you need to send 1 or 2 locos up to Scotland to drag a pair of DMUs down south again? None of the FGW Class 142s ran up from Exeter to Springburn and back a few years ago with any assistance, and they have even less power than a 170.

By the sounds of it the 6 car formation ran on only 3 :lol:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Surely you couldn't just have the loco + 170s?

I'd assume not. In the past when units have been dragged by loco(s) they've needed extra vehicles besides the barrier/translator in order to provide brake force, as the units are 'dead-in-train' so the brakes won't be active.

D6975

Established Member

Convenience.
To move them under their own power requires 2 drivers, one for traction knowledge, one for route knowledge. Often it's simpler to drag them with one driver who knows the route and traction.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Aren't there enough 170s being moved around that there's a pool of drivers with traction knowledge who have widespread route knowledge as well?

Anyway, wouldn't hiring a second driver be cheaper than hiring a loco, along with at least one more driver to return it to its starting point? If there are translator vehicles involved then these would also need moving from and back to wherever they are stored.

MCR247

Established Member
Convenience.

To move them under their own power requires 2 drivers, one for traction knowledge, one for route knowledge. Often it's simpler to drag them with one driver who knows the route and traction.

An extra driver is less convenient than hiring a loco, translators and barriers?

Fincra5

Established Member
Convenience.

Well freight drivers can be taught the traction quite easily.. like they did with the 350's when LM loaned a few to SN.

D365

Veteran Member
Well freight drivers can be taught the traction quite easily.. like they did with the 350's when LM loaned a few to SN.

This isn't a stock loan where they're planning regular swaps, it's a one-off movement.

Fincra5

Established Member
This isn't a stock loan where they're planning regular swaps, it's a one-off movement.

Doesn't mean they can't be trained up however. What a conversion course? A week? I can't remember tbh.

Southern Dvr

But, and I feel we've already asked this, WHY?

The units have come South, on their own power and have not cost the inconvenience of barrier vehicles or return paths etc..

Who crewed the moves anyway?

Class377/5

Established Member
Don't make the mistake of assuming there isn't drivers who sign the stock and route.

GBRf possibly? They often do moves like this :)

DCR did at least some part of the move, not sure if all of it was them. Presumably there is no issue with more than one company being involved if one operator can't supply the right mix of traction/route knowledge?

Status
Not open for further replies.