• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SE'trn Looking for Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

watchman87

Hi all,

Just checked back on southeasterns website for updates on my CSA application and seen that, what seems as of today, they're looking for trainee drivers out of Grove Park, Slade Green, Dartford, Orpington and Victoria.

Not sure if i'll apply as more interested in the non-driving roles, but sure someone here will be interested :)

Seems an unusually large number of vacancies for such a sought after job. Wonder what's prompted it........

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Westwood85

why couldn't this just be a bit further north :-\. Good luck to all those that live in the required distance and apply.

387star

On Moderation
Quoted from the advert found this an interesting read:

In the old days, they used to say that little girls wanted to grow up to be nurses and little boys wanted to become train drivers.

It’s a very different world today – yet driving a train remains an incredibly popular career choice judging by the high level of interest we get in our trainee driver vacancies. What you wouldn’t have seen sixty, forty or even twenty years ago, is the increased number of applications from women.

As we’re only interested in people’s suitability for the job, we’re welcoming a great mix of talented, confident, committed men and women onto our driving team. We look for people with concentration, co-ordination and a talent for customer service too – our training provides the skills and knowledge it takes to operate a train carrying thousands of passengers every day.

Train Driving is a safety critical role, so you must be aged over 20 to apply

About you

To excel in your role, you will need:

To care about our customers, keeping them updated with information and advice on their journey
To have excellent communication skills
To be proactive when it comes to problem solving and decision making
To be disciplined with a healthy respect for rules & procedures
To be punctual and reliable
To demonstrate our values on a day to day basis
Hear from our team

This is what some of our existing drivers have to say....

“Training to be a driver is done by a series of modular tests, taking anything from a year to 18 months. This includes 255 hours of accompanied driving, including 40 hours in the dark.”

“Safety is a driver's number one consideration and concentration is their number one challenge. The way I look at it is that if I'm looking after my own safety, I'm looking after the customers too.”

"The biggest misconception about driving a train these days is that it's all automated. It's not. As a professional driver our responsibility is not just safety, its keeping our customers informed on how their journey is going – it makes a real difference”

“Working shifts as a driver gives me so much flexibility, I enjoy the days when I can pick my kids up from school and take them swimming”

“Team work is important! From our station staff, conductors, signallers and even our control centre - we need to communicate and work together to ensure that the customer experience is the best it can be”

Working here

You will work a varied shift pattern, which includes weekends, bank holidays and nights.

Rosters vary but are based over a 37 hour week; you will normally work one week early shift and one week late shift.

Your earliest start time could be 00:01 hrs and your latest finish time could be anytime as we operate a 24 hour railway.

As a driver your maximum shift length will be 9 hours 15 minutes and the minimum shift length is 5 hours 30 minutes.

Last edited:

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Good luck to all!

I failed the customer service 'most effective, least effective' questionnaire so on a 6 month hold before I can re-apply.

watchman87

Don't want to divert the thread mate but how did that work ? Did it just tell you there and then online and not let you fill out the form? That's what I've applied for but hope I haven't already failed it without realising!

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Basically yes. I wasn't registered to begin with so I registered and then it took me to a section marked 'Trainee Driver - Victoria', asked me a couple of yes/no questions and then I had to fill in the customer service questionnaire.

I didn't fulfill the requirements and told me I cannot apply for a similar role for 6 months. I was surprised this list came up for a drivers job. When I applied for FGW trainee driver, there wasn't questions like 'you are working at a ticket gate and dealing with a customer when a woman with a loud screaming baby in a pushchair is waiting to go through. What do you do?'

Not driver related at all but it seems I had to take it.

rchta455

Hi all,

Im a new member who has just applied for the Victoria post. As its my first application ill expect a swift rebuff!
Sorry to hear that heart-of-wessex. I was unsure if that would be sifted after application so it seems I have at least got the first bit right. I am somewhat dubious as to the accuracy of these psychometric tests though having been involved with them in a previous job application.
Good luck to all that apply.

darren111

I have 2 addresses one in Yorkshire and one in Kent, so I will be applying for Trainee Driver in Dartford. Good Luck everybody and If I hear back from my application I promise to keep you updated.

SEDriver

Seems an unusually large number of vacancies for such a sought after job. Wonder what's prompted it........

It's rumoured that we may be coming down to a 4 day week when the current pay deal is agreed. This could be the reason for the current recruitment drive. Just my opinion though. ;)

carriageline

Established Member
Decision whether to stay as signaller or cut my commute from 50 miles to 5 and apply for dartford... Hmmm

Bradders1984

Do southeastern accept applications from people willing to relocate. I'm currently in colchester which is just a tad far out?? I've already successfully completed my assessments.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Hi all,

Im a new member who has just applied for the Victoria post. As its my first application ill expect a swift rebuff!
Sorry to hear that heart-of-wessex. I was unsure if that would be sifted after application so it seems I have at least got the first bit right. I am somewhat dubious as to the accuracy of these psychometric tests though having been involved with them in a previous job application.
Good luck to all that apply.

That's alright mate, I was more baffled why I was going through a customer service questionnaire to begin with, I must admit it was quite difficult to know what was most expected, often I found 2 answers to be the most effective and I did it based on what I'd expect as I've been in retail for 2 years.

Maybe I'm doing my job wrong :lol:!!

otomous

Anyone know why they are asking irrelevant questions that may prevent suitable driver candidates getting through?

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Anyone know why they are asking irrelevant questions that may prevent suitable driver candidates getting through?

Not totally irrelevant, they show how well you can prioritise and what sort of approach to customer service you have. Besides, they can ask whatever questions they like, if you don't like it then don't apply.

carriageline

Established Member
I personally found the customer service bit easy, had to think about a few of them (for example the ticketless passenger one!) but I presumably got through it

junior_7178

Does anyone know what there policy is for applicants willing to relocate?

I am getting rejections at the initial sift stage left right and centre for various roles I'm applying for with TOC's all over the country. I have a strong CV and usually meet all of the 'desirable' and 'must have' attributes listed on the vacancies. I'm begging to wonder if it's down to the fact I have a Brighton postal address, even though I always state I am willing to relocate.

So I'm going to apply for these vacancies with SouthEastern. Thinking tactically, is one of the listed depots likely to receive less applicants than the others? As I am willing to relocate to anywhere it would make sense for me to apply to the least popular location to raise my chances. Or is that illogical thinking?

darren111

I looked at the Trainee Conductor role for Hastings and it does state applicants must live within a 15 mile radius of that location. This could be the same for trainee driver positions. I always thought it would be within an hour from location you are applying for, but I am guessing each TOC as different policies. Has for relocation, it might be worth just contacting customer services at Southeasterns head office in Tonbridge and asking that question. I have contacted them myself and they are very helpful.

SEDriver

I don't know anything about the relocation policy but I do know that we had a driver start last year that was based in Wales. He lived in rented accommodation during his training, returning to his family at weekends.

Class2ldn

I used to live about an hour and a half from grove park and no issues with that

rchta455

Well, I'm still living in the midlands at the minute....
There was nothing upon the application regarding not being able to apply - however, it could well be an easy sift decision. The thing is, we don't want to relocate without a job first.....

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
The page if you don't pass the customer service test reads:

Position applied for:
Trainee Driver - Victoria

Thank you for your interest in this role. Unfortunately, following the online test, you have not met the minimum criteria for a customer facing role within Southeastern. Due to the above you will not be eligible to re-apply for any customer facing roles within the company for a period of 6 months. May I thank you for your interest in Southeastern and wish you every success in your search for future employment.

Pepperami

Basically yes. I wasn't registered to begin with so I registered and then it took me to a section marked 'Trainee Driver - Victoria', asked me a couple of yes/no questions and then I had to fill in the customer service questionnaire.

I didn't fulfill the requirements and told me I cannot apply for a similar role for 6 months. I was surprised this list came up for a drivers job. When I applied for FGW trainee driver, there wasn't questions like 'you are working at a ticket gate and dealing with a customer when a woman with a loud screaming baby in a pushchair is waiting to go through. What do you do?'

Not driver related at all but it seems I had to take it.

I am truly sorry you did not get further :(

I did the online application today, I am happy to say that I got to the end, so far so good so fingers crossed :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Yes, because the customer comes first, ALWAYS, so if you cannot demonstrate that in the initial questions, you will go no further, you have to put the needs of the customer first whether your checking tickets, cleaning the loo's or driving the train
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Do southeastern accept applications from people willing to relocate. I'm currently in colchester which is just a tad far out?? I've already successfully completed my assessments.

Spoke to Southeastern about the very same thing, I said I would relocate, they said it would be noted, but generally they recruit from people who already live near the place of employment, which sucks to be fair as if your willing to give up your current career and move for a company, I would have expected that to show you are more willing and more determined?

rchta455

Well I hope that's not the case, but I can understand it. It would've been nice to have it stated on application. Now, if I fail the paper sift, that's one thing, but not knowing if it's down to current residential location, that'd be a tad irritating.

Pepperami

Yeah tell me about it, I think its very unfair given that your willing to do whatever it takes, only to be told your not within the required distance :(

the sniper

Established Member

I live over 100 miles north of London, working for a different TOC, we've had a number of South Eastern drivers move to my suburban depot. Most seem to cite relatively poor pay and conditions on SE and higher house prices/living costs 'darn sarf' as the reason why they left. I would guess they're not the only ones who have got out...

Pepperami

The post advertises 43K a year after training, so its pretty much inline with most TOCS I think, although the training is 8K less a year than FFC were advertising

darren111

I have just completed my application form for Trainee Driver at Dartford with Southeastern. I actually enjoyed filling it out but it took me about 2 hours to complete, but then again I put my heart into it. I am just glad its sent and I have the acknowledgement email from them now. So I now join hundreds of other applicants in the waiting game.

bystander

If you can't deal with customer service as an absolutely fundamental part of the job (or indeed see that that is the case), you aren't a suitable candidate. Even with a train manager on board, as a driver I have multiple interactions with customers every time I leave the train - some easy, some complex, some nice, some potentially conflict-ridden - but for each of those passengers / customers, it may be the only interaction they have with a member of staff that day, so you are the face of the railway for them.

TrackMann

My issue with it isn't that customer service is irrelevant to the role, it's that the questions aren't adequate at differentiating between a good and poor customer service attitude.

Let's look at the example mentioned above:

You are working at the gate to the side of the automatic barriers between the station concourse and the platforms checking tickets. You are currently in the middle of a conversation dealing with a customer’s query, when a woman with a baby in a buggy who is screaming loudly walks up to the gate to be let through.

Do you:

a. Finish your conversation with the customer before attending to the woman with the baby as it is important to focus on the person with whom you’re dealing at the time?

b. Continue your conversation with the customer whilst checking the woman’s ticket and subsequently letting her through?

c. Open the gate without a break in the conversation?

d. Ask the customer whether they mind if you swiftly check the woman’s ticket?

There's arguments and justifications for each answer to be the best and worst. It comes down to opinion and many customers will have hugely varying opinions on each topic. For example I would find it distracting and hence very annoying that there was a screaming baby in the background as I'm talking to a member of staff and I'd be frustrated if the staff member just ignored it. But there will be other people that would find it rude for the member of staff to divert their attention from them in the slightest, even just to ask permission to pause the conversation.
SouthEastern HR have just decided that their opinion on all of these subjects is Gospel and if your view doesn't quite line up with their interpretation then you don't get a fair shot at the job.

Ridiculous

Pepperami

Most effective = D
Least Effective =C

Thats what I put, I felt it important to continue with the customer I was currently dealing with whilst at the same time including them in the situation, and felt it polite and courteous to ask that person would they mind if I checked the ladies ticket so that they knew I was not just leaving them hanging whilst I attended to someone else, it shows your focused on the job your doing whilst simultaneously keeping an eye on your working environment

B would have possibly been an option had it not been for the fact that you are not wholly concentration on your first priority, and your looking at the womans ticket but with no real interaction, and all TOCS will list as one of their main goals Customer Focus and the need to interact with people

A I thought would be a little better than C because your basically ignoring the woman to finish dealing with the current customer, its all about the wording of the answer you choose, so in that case your leaving a woman with a baby screaming right beside you whilst trying to concentrate on your customer and completely ignoring her, it doesnt state in that answer that you ask the woman to please wait whilst you deal with the current situation, and you can only answer based on the scenarios information

C obviously the least because you have broken one of the fundamental rules, your there to check tickets, and in C you haven't

I do understand you feel frustrated, but there is no wrong or right way to answer the questions, as you say its personal judgment, but there were quite a few questions, and the answer people give overall will give a good example of where someones customer focus is, had you have marked just this one example as you did, but marked all the others and the answers lent to the good customer focus and service, then I think you would have been ok, I cant say for sure I do not know the scoring system, but if you failed then one would have to assume that other answers given did not tend to go with what they were looking for

It isn't just Southeastern either, you will find that all TOCS use the same points based scoring system and its been in use for quite a while now

Don't give up, and read up on the facts and figures on these forums for help, we have all been there :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.