• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shops & other venues that still insist on masks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Not sure if this has already been picked up on by in this thread or not but I've just been looking at booking a trip on the Caledonian sleeper and on the booking page, found this -

"Face coverings
Face coverings must be worn in stations and onboard, even when you have drifted off to sleep.
Exempt from wearing a face covering? We are proud to work with the Sunflower Lanyard Scheme and you can order a lanyard free of charge by contacting our friendly Guest Service Centre!"
Berths were always exempt from the face covering mandate, so that statement was wrong even when the mask mandate still existed!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
The long-standing Chinese restaurant in this neighbourhood had 100% face-covered staff when I first returned there about a month ago. When I visited last week, none of its staff are wearing face coverings. I complimented the manager on their decision, she said it was better to see everyone's faces again.
Went to the most over the top Chinese takeaway I've seen yet a few weeks ago.

Clear plastic sheeting everywhere. A sign up saying everyone must wait outside unless you're ordering or collecting, no queuing or waiting indoors.

A heavy perplex screen with lifting sliding door in it on the counter, with a little window in the door through which a basket is passed for cash (no card, of course :lol:) with the change being returned shortly after.

The whole door is then lifted to push your food bag through and immediately slammed shut. Staff masked, of course, and about 6 signs on the doors and windows saying to wear a mask, although no one was paying attention.

Their food is unusually good and the charade is quite entertaining though so given they don't actually insist, despite the signs, on customer mask wearing I'd happily keep going there as long as it wasn't raining :lol:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Went to the most over the top Chinese takeaway I've seen yet a few weeks ago.
I went to one like that in Sept 2020 and had a laugh about it even back then. I posted about it on the forum here. When I last went there a few months ago it was the same. I also went to another one somewhere else that was like that more recently. There must be a few of them.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I've been working in Walthamstow today so thought I'd take a brief post work trip to Barking Riverside station to tick off the new station.

The London Overground train from Walthamstow Queens Road was depressing. Large mask graphics on the external passenger doors, inside announcements and screen messages after every stop 'strongly suggesting that masks are worn over your nose and mouth on all TfL services to keep each other safe and that exemptions may apply.'

No-one, of course, was wearing a mask.

Walked through Walthamstow Bus station afterwards, social distancing signs all over the place. Public toilets are still staff only for safety reasons.

Just how long are TfL going to keep up this charade.

duncanp

Established Member
I've been working in Walthamstow today so thought I'd take a brief post work trip to Barking Riverside station to tick off the new station.

The London Overground train from Walthamstow Queens Road was depressing. Large mask graphics on the external passenger doors, inside announcements and screen messages after every stop 'strongly suggesting that masks are worn over your nose and mouth on all TfL services to keep each other safe and that exemptions may apply.'

No-one, of course, was wearing a mask.

Walked through Walthamstow Bus station afterwards, social distancing signs all over the place. Public toilets are still staff only for safety reasons.

Just how long are TfL going to keep up this charade.

I used to live in Walthamstow.

"Safety" is not the reason that the bus station toilets are closed. It is more likely that TfL are saving money by keeping them closed and just using "because of COVID" as an excuse for poor service. (no surprise there then)

As for the signage and anonuncements on the London Overground, it would appear that Mr Khant is using TfL services to push his maskivist agenda, and possibly to annoy the government.

There is no mask mandate on TfL services and there has been plenty of time for any notices and announcements to be removed.

I can only conclude that they are still there in order to mislead people into believing that masks are compulsory when in fact they are not.

Razorblades

For no reasonable purpose, the staff at the local Boots pharmacy were sporting ill-fitting disposable (but no doubt reused daily) lunatic face-nappies just now. Likewise folk attending the local doctor's surgery (excluding this person) were heeding a big notice on the front door to wear a bl00dy face-covering, although none of the half-dozen reception people were - good for them!

GC class B1

For no reasonable purpose, the staff at the local Boots pharmacy were sporting ill-fitting disposable (but no doubt reused daily) lunatic face-nappies just now. Likewise folk attending the local doctor's surgery (excluding this person) were heeding a big notice on the front door to wear a bl00dy face-covering, although none of the half-dozen reception people were - good for them!
My local boots pharmacy sells disposable mask that say on the packet they may reduce virus transmission. This my be why they have the notice you saw. This boots doesn’t have any notices though and not all staff wear masks.

LancasterRed

Absolutely no venue insists on them, you may find people with coughs or colds instilling basic levels of respect by wearing coverings but other than that only notices that are hard to remove/nobody was ever bothered to remove are in place. Even in London I didn't see any mask mandates or anything close.

I think the only exception is places such as hospitals where wearing masks is understandable due to not only the amount of vulnerable people in one place but also the significantly heightened possibility of uncommon illnesses floating about. And that's fine with me, because it's basic levels of respect and common sense.

Razorblades

I think the only exception is places such as hospitals where wearing masks is understandable due to not only the amount of vulnerable people in one place but also the significantly heightened possibility of uncommon illnesses floating about. And that's fine with me, because it's basic levels of respect and common sense.
I don't recall wearing face-coverings in any setting before 2020, and I visited plenty of hospitals in pursuit of elderly relatives; has there been a reset of the basic levels of respect and common sense since that era?

LancasterRed

I don't recall wearing face-coverings in any setting before 2020, and I visited plenty of hospitals in pursuit of elderly relatives; has there been a reset of the basic levels of respect and common sense since that era?
Yes, as it has become apparent that masks should be standard in hospitals. Societially I believe we got it wrong.

Masks in other settings are acceptable but should not be mandated

duncanp

Established Member

There has certainly been a reset of the basic levels of common sense, given the amount of fearmongering that that has been going on.

As time goes by, it is becoming more and more apparent that some of the COVID restrictions imposed on us had little or not effect.

Exactly what was achieved by compulsory closure of pubs at 10pm, except to encourage people to crowd in there earlier than they otherwise would have done, with the consequent increase in crowding levels which is, er, exactly what you don't want to do if there is a contagious virus circulating.

And who can remember Herefordshire being put into Tier 1 on 19th December 2020, only to be moved into Tier 2 a week later, followed by a full lockdown in the new year.

Following the science?

My backside they were following the science.

DustyBin

Established Member
Yes, as it has become apparent that masks should be standard in hospitals. Societially I believe we got it wrong.

How has this become apparent?

I spent several hours the other week in the RVI in Newcastle and didn't see a single member of staff wearing a mask (and very few patients/visitors) so clearly not everybody agrees with your assertion!

MikeWM

Established Member
Yes, as it has become apparent that masks should be standard in hospitals.

I see. Would you like to explain what made this 'become apparent', and why we didn't know this before 2020? Do you have some evidence or science to share that we've not been told about? I'm sure many of us here would be most interested.

Simon11

Established Member
Standard blue face masks make no difference in safety for patients and if hospitals really thought infection was a major issue they would be asking and getting people to wear proper face masks, plus clean gowns/ shoes (like in theaters) which actually do protect vulnerable people who are at risk of major problems from infections. Blue masks do not protect our vulnerable people, so either bother to be safe (doing a proper job) or do not bother (which was fine pre-covid).

I went with my partner last week with our little one to the doctors. We didn't wear face masks, there was no one requesting it and you could see the relief that the doctor could take off his mask, to actually do a proper job and feel comfortable.

Razorblades

I feared that would be your response. We rely on facial expression and visual contact in this society, always have and always will.

In my view face coverings are only acceptable for religious adherence, in surgical settings, in theatre and the Arts, for dandy highwaymen and at swingers' parties.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I see. Would you like to explain what made this 'become apparent', and why we didn't know this before 2020? Do you have some evidence or science to share that we've not been told about? I'm sure many of us here would be most interested.
Probably too busy counting the magic beans I just sold them…

Class 33

Established Member
Just wondering, is LNER still rattling on on their trains that we should still be wearing face masks/coverings??!! Or have they finally got the message and ditched this now after seeing that for months now hardly anyone is wearing these things?!

Last edited:

My doctors today:

a) had a large sign saying masks MUST be worn

b) A large box of them was whisked out to meet my (unmasked) face - ‘please place one of these on’ (pause) ‘can you wear a mask’?

Me: ‘I can, but I’d prefer not to’

Receptionist (in annoyance): ‘well, go sit down then’

About 80% of patients were wearing one.

Some Uber drivers in London are still masked. Worst one is right now, where the driver is ffp2 masked, has all 4 windows open, and when asked to close them, refused - citing covid. First time in about 6 months that I’ve been genuinely cold!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Some Uber drivers in London are still masked. Worst one is right now, where the driver is ffp2 masked, has all 4 windows open, and when asked to close them, refused - citing covid. First time in about 6 months that I’ve been genuinely cold!
Can you leave a review? If so, I'd give them the lowest possible rating. And definitely no tip of course.

An Uber driver tried to get us to wear masks in the US recently; we declined and they gave up.

Just wondering, is LNER still rattling on on their trains that we should still be wearing face masks/coverings??!! Or have they finally got the message and ditched this now after seeing that for months now hardly anyone is wearing these things?!
No, they gave that up a few months ago, but not until it was obvious the vast majority of passengers were not complying with their request.

Yes, as it has become apparent that masks should be standard in hospitals
How has it?
. Societially I believe we got it wrong.
I believe you're wrong.
If people want to wear a mask, they can do. Nothing should be mandated anywhere, nor should it be "encouraged" or any other nonsense.

Absolutely no venue insists on them, you may find people with coughs or colds instilling basic levels of respect by wearing coverings but other than that only notices that are hard to remove/nobody was ever bothered to remove are in place. Even in London I didn't see any mask mandates or anything close.

It isn't.

Common sense says not to wear a mask, given that the sort of masks typically worn are ineffective.

Last edited:

davews

The home care company 'Loving Angels' comes into our street every day to attend to somebody in the flats. Dressed to the hilt with mask, apron, gloves and the rest. Not what I would call 'loving angels'!

Silver Cobra

Travelling with LNER back on 6th August I heard no announcements or saw any posters regarding masks on either of their trains I travelled on. Compared to TPE who, while the guard on both services never made any announcements regarding them, the screens on the 185 and the loco-hauled set I travelled on still showed the 'wear a mask if you can unless exempt' message every 3 minutes or so.

bengley

Established Member
My doctors today:

a) had a large sign saying masks MUST be worn

b) A large box of them was whisked out to meet my (unmasked) face - ‘please place one of these on’ (pause) ‘can you wear a mask’?

Me: ‘I can, but I’d prefer not to’

Receptionist (in annoyance): ‘well, go sit down then’

About 80% of patients were wearing one.
I suppose with that sort of behaviour from the front desk, waving them around at people, most are likely to accept just to keep the peace. Much like you, I would not accept. I will never wear a mask again in any setting*.

*In this country.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Indeed. Most people do not want to wear masks but equally most people do not want to cause a fuss either.

I wore one for the year that it was originally mandated but I decided some time ago that enough is enough.

greyman42

Established Member
I suppose with that sort of behaviour from the front desk, waving them around at people, most are likely to accept just to keep the peace.
If people kick up a fuss and make a scene when asked to wear a mask, the authoritarian receptionists will soon stop asking.

bengley

Established Member
If people kick up a fuss and make a scene when asked to wear a mask, the authoritarian receptionists will soon stop asking.
Yup whereas if everyone appears happy to do so they'll carry on

jumble

I saw some of these today
I must ask "Dad" why he on earth he thinks anyone could imagine he would want to wear one of these when walking me

I looked at what Harley Street Care Masks could be used for as surely they must be good for preventing virus spread because Tony Blair says so but I am still none the wiser

Each pack contains 50 blue non medical face masks that are to be used to cover the nose and mouth and is intended for use in food preparation and other clean or sensitive environments such as beauty salons. The masks feature 3 layers of material. Ideal for general use including; dog walking, exercising, driving and supermarket shopping. The mask is easy and comfortable to wear, featuring an ear loop design to ensure it fits all faces with ease. It features 3 layers of material, intending to cover the nose and mouth.

Regards Summer

Bikeman78

Established Member
Recently I discovered that the new electric buses in Cardiff have air conditioning but they drive around with the six emergency windows permanently open. Newport bus has more sense.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Apparently there is something called the "Tony Blair Institute" (whatever that is) demanding that mandatory masks for public transport be brought back during the winter to prevent a "winter health crisis". What a bunch of cobblers. I won't be complying, and I can't see many others doing so either.

Status
Not open for further replies.