• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should the guard do the trolley?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Maybe you should tell us your occupation so that we can make idiotic claims about how little importance your existence brings.

I am not rail staff BTW.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
As a rail passenger it puts my mind at ease that there is someone on board the train that deals with the public that attempt to make things fair by carrying out ticket checks and that if there should be an Emergency that there are more than one person on the train capable of dealing with it.

@ embers - it is clear from the posts here that you are nothing more than an internet troll & the reason you wont reveal what it is you do is because it is probably something that would defeat your whole argument.

@train guards/Train Managers etc KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK GUYS !!!

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
As a rail passenger it puts my mind at ease that there is someone on board the train that deals with the public that attempt to make things fair by carrying out ticket checks and that if there should be an Emergency that there are more than one person on the train capable of dealing with it.

@ embers - it is clear from the posts here that you are nothing more than an internet troll & the reason you wont reveal what it is you do is because it is probably something that would defeat your whole argument.

@train guards/Train Managers etc KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK GUYS !!!

Thankyou very much for the support

embers25

Established Member

So you must be a nervous wreck if you travel on a DOO service (not that you'd probably even be aware like no-one else is because they run just fine and perfectly safely despite what those on here and the RMT say).

"@ embers - it is clear from the posts here that you are nothing more than an internet troll & the reason you wont reveal what it is you do is because it is probably something that would defeat your whole argument."

My job is irrelevant to the fact that guards have yet to provide any evidence of their role being needed.

ANorthernGuard

Established Member

So you must be a nervous wreck if you travel on a DOO service (not that you'd probably even be aware like no-one else is because they run just fine and perfectly safely despite what those on here and the RMT say).

"@ embers - it is clear from the posts here that you are nothing more than an internet troll & the reason you wont reveal what it is you do is because it is probably something that would defeat your whole argument."

My job is irrelevant to the fact that guards have yet to provide any evidence of their role being needed.

So you do what exactly?

GadgetMan

To be honest, your opinion on the matter is pretty irrelevant too, and therefore there is no need for any guard or other member of staff to justify their job to you.

If you're concern is that you are funding us as a fare payer, then do the honourable thing; refuse to travel on trains with guards on until the TOCs give in to your demand for all guards to be sacked/downgraded. Everyone's a winner :lol:

Established Member
They are needed because
A) The Railway would lose revenue and eventually cease to exist.
B) It is safer as there is more than one person on the train in an emergency (2 people better than one etc)
C) Ive lost count how many times ive needed a guard as the ticket office was closed and the machine not selling the ticket i need)

And your job is relevant as your saying these guys jobs are not required - yours probably isnt either!!

(I found that what you said about me 'being a nervous wreck on DOO trains' offensive)

embers25

Established Member
They are needed because
A) The Railway would lose revenue and eventually cease to exist.

So FCC will cease to exist?!! Come on!

B) It is safer as there is more than one person on the train in an emergency (2 people better than one etc)

3 is better than 2 so lets have 3 or maybe 50.

"And your job is relevant as your saying these guys jobs are not required - yours probably isnt either!!"

I never said it whether it was or wasn't a required job but why let the facts get in the way ... I was just saying a guard is not needed

"(I found that what you said about me 'being a nervous wreck on DOO trains' offensive)"

Well you said the guard puts your mind at ease so you must be freaked out without one....or in reality that just doesn't support your argument so you skip over that.

Established Member
what i meant was it makes me feel better
and is your job needed probably not thats why you wont tell us

And required and needed is basically the same thing

embers25

Established Member
Edited for accuracy, not sure how long it'll last on here.:p

Ahhhh so it's not ok for me to criticise guards but its totally fine for some in this thread to claim trolley guys are a lower form of staff and now you criticise bankers...so I guess its just guards who are above challenge then?!!

embers25

Established Member
what i meant was it makes me feel better
and is your job needed probably not thats why you wont tell us

And required and needed is basically the same thing

I have never once said whether my job is required or needed or necessary or claimed it is so your point is what?!!! Oh wait you don't have one!

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Ahhhh so it's not ok for me to criticise guards but its totally fine for some in this thread to claim trolley guys are a lower form of staff and now you criticise bankers...so I guess its just guards who are above challenge then?!!

Please find the post where someone has said catering staff are a lower form of staff? I think all on here recognise that what they do is useful, good work yet are just saying (and this is the point you fail to comprehend) that it is not feasible for guards to do it as well.

So what is it you do for a living? Of course, you might be scared that you won't be able to justify your job and that's why you're clamming up?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have never once said whether my job is required or needed or necessary or claimed it is so your point is what?!!! Oh wait you don't have one!

Neither do you. You are loosing more and more credibility every time you click "Post Reply".

GadgetMan

You can say guards are not required etc, nothing wrong with that as that would be your opinion. I think what the majority of us found offensive was the fact you were making out we were all lazy and just sat in the cab all day reading papers and drinking tea/coffee doing the bare minimum. You also seem to regularly imply our knowledge of tickets/routes/regulations is poor to non-existent etc.

Unless you have had dealings with all or 'most' guards in the country then I don't think you are in a position to comment on how good or otherwise we are at our jobs.

ANorthernGuard

Established Member

So who here called catering staff "lower life forms" I know I certainly didn't and don't think anyonbe apart from yourself has implied it, the jobs are totally different apart from both being customer facing, you have been insulting, rude and its obvious from your posts that you have one hell of a chip on your shoulder! May I suggest if you loathe guards that much that you either travel only on DOO services or see a shrink

Established Member
Please find the post where someone has said catering staff are a lower form of staff? I think all on here recognise that what they do is useful, good work yet are just saying (and this is the point you fail to comprehend) that it is not feasible for guards to do it as well.

So what is it you do for a living? Of course, you might be scared that you won't be able to justify your job and that's why you're clamming up?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Neither do you. You are loosing more and more credibility every time you click "Post Reply".

Too true and youll find that i do you are claiming that a guards role is not needed when you have no evidence for this. So why wont you tell us what your job is eh ??

martin2345uk

Established Member
You can say guards are not required etc, nothing wrong with that as that would be your opinion. I think what the majority of us found offensive was the fact you were making out we were all lazy and just sat in the cab all day reading papers and drinking tea/coffee doing the bare minimum. You also seem to regularly imply our knowledge of tickets/routes/regulations is poor to non-existent etc.

Unless you have had dealings with all or 'most' guards in the country then I don't think you are in a position to comment on how good or otherwise we are at our jobs.

I think this is the key point. It would have been perfectly acceptable to have a reasoned debate on the role of a guard, comparisons of safety records for DOO vs Non-DOO etc... but Embers took a very little time in steaming in with some pretty accusatory posts and didn't word them too well, and immediately got people's back up :cry:

embers25

Established Member
You also seem to regularly imply our knowledge of tickets/routes/regulations is poor to non-existent etc.

Thats not just me that's many people and the evidence there again speaks for itself!I have had to stop guards overcharging customers numerous times because they didn't know restrictions/validities/routeings etc. Sorry but thats just fact. I never said that situation was all guards but it is certainly NOT a minority.

Established Member
Not being funny but perhaps its just you so if i were you i would stop digging a larger hole now.

embers25

Established Member
You clearly don't read this forum much then! Or again lets skip the facts to try to justify your point!

Established Member
who was that aimed at ?? if me i have been reading this thread since the start and to me you are clearly just trolling because you clearly have a grudge against all guards for whatever reason.

embers25

Established Member
Clearly you are just trolling.

So basically you are saying...agree with a completely unproven statement that guards are essential or you are a troll! Oh and not only are you a troll but we'll start the abuse against you as it's our only argument.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
So basically you are saying...agree with a completely unproven statement that guards are essential or you are a troll! Oh and not only are you a troll but we'll start the abuse against you as it's our only argument.

Or agree with a completely unproven statement that all guards are lazy, useless jobsworths? No thanks.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thread locked due to descending into arguments

Status
Not open for further replies.