• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern Graffiti

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotCO

Established Member
I would hope that the introduction of additional security will lead to culprits being caught and given harsh punishments, not just a slap on the wrist. I've never seen any uncompleted graffiti, implying that they can undertake their illegal activities unhindered and without fear of interruption.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Here are some photos I took on my journey home this morning. It looks awful and needs removing as soon as possible. Although very artistic, the train is not the place.

I have reported them to Southeastern along with the rest. Fingers crossed the graffiti will be cleaned soon.

Attachments

• IMG_5508.JPG
    IMG_5508.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_5509.JPG
    IMG_5509.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_5510.JPG
    IMG_5510.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 136
Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Here are some photos I took on my journey home this morning. It looks awful and needs removing as soon as possible. Although very artistic, the train is not the place.

I have reported them to Southeastern along with the rest. Fingers crossed the graffiti will be cleaned soon.

The person that wrote Mind the Step wasn't quite as artistic!

Seriously though; like the 313s getting done - this artwork isn't done in 10 seconds like a tag. How long do they get at the sidings to work?

Clip

Established Member
The person that wrote Mind the Step wasn't quite as artistic!

Seriously though; like the 313s getting done - this artwork isn't done in 10 seconds like a tag. How long do they get at the sidings to work?
Some of that would take about 3 -5 mins tops to do if there' a couple of them doing it

FOH

Network Rail probably haven’t helped matters with the seeming free for all at the Bermondsey dive under graffiti park

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Some of that would take about 3 -5 mins tops to do if there' a couple of them doing it
Yes exactly, it would not take long to paint over at all. Why are they so lazy? Maybe they are just tight and want to save money.

Personally I would more than happily offer to paint the trains in exchange for free tickets. I am sure others would too and it would bring communities together. Everyone has the entitlement to use public transport and they should be able to do so without this eye sore.

Children especially see these works of tart. The fact it is not being removed means they are being given the wrong message about it being acceptable

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
Yes exactly, it would not take long to paint over at all. Why are they so lazy? Maybe they are just tight and want to save money.

Personally I would more than happily offer to paint the trains in exchange for free tickets. I am sure others would too and it would bring communities together. Everyone has the entitlement to use public transport and they should be able to do so without this eye sore.

Children especially see these works of tart. The fact it is not being removed means they are being given the wrong message about it being acceptable

sorry I misunderstood your question to be how long did it take to tag.

even if the train has the coating on it something that big would take a couple of hours of manual labour to remove

MML

465050 is heavily tagged.
BTP really need to do some undercover targeting and the courts throw the book at these vandals.

Take away all their money so they can no longer afford a can of spray paint.

jon0844

Veteran Member

Or anything else, which means very quickly you'll have everyone saying it's unfair and will only lead to more crime - plus it stops their freedom of expression. Therefore, you shouldn't punish them and perhaps give them MORE money!

(This seems to be the way society thinks these days)

Roast Veg

Established Member
Neither approach is wise. All that needs to be done is to resolve the safety issue preventing the cleaning of the trains and then the problem will return to its former, more acceptable, levels.

MML

Neither approach is wise. All that needs to be done is to resolve the safety issue preventing the cleaning of the trains and then the problem will return to its former, more acceptable, levels.

I'm afraid that argument is the same that is used for dropping litter.
Let the culprits continue to drop huge amounts of litter, so long as the local council has enough people sweeping the streets every day to clear the mess up, and can pass the costs onto innocent council tax payers.

So let the graffiti artists continue to express themselves, so long as the TOC can remove it all and conform to health and safety legislation while doing so, and then pass on all the costs to the innocent fare paying traveller.

I'd rather have the toe rag graffiti artist accidentally trip onto a live rail. Kill 2 birds with one spray can so to speak.

jon0844

Veteran Member
We have a huge problem with fly tipping and the council is usually every quick to remove it. Then more appears.

Public bins get crammed full of household waste (often in carrier bags and with paperwork that identifies the owner) and, again, it is collected so more appears and the bins overflow and the bags get left at the side to get torn open by rats and birds.

It certainly does need people to get prosecuted once in a while or you must make it acceptable.

Sadly now that people can take photos and video of their works, even the argument for removing it quick to discourage it may not apply anymore. Plenty of people can get to see it all on social media to make it worthwhile.

Roast Veg

Established Member
I'd rather have the toe rag graffiti artist accidentally trip onto a live rail. Kill 2 birds with one spray can so to speak.
I don't share this sentiment.

I agree in part about the comparison to fly tipping, in that I think they should be handled in a similar way. Those caught should be prosecuted but not such that it incites further action, and the offence itself should be removed at the earliest opportunity. The TOCs don't want to be paying for it, it affects their revenue in proportionate measure to the DfT.

Roast Veg

Established Member
Actually that was in reference to the suggestion that the bill would be footed by the taxpayer, I don't believe for a second that there's any penny pinching at work here - bad choice of words.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
All of this talk of money and who is responsible aside, what can and should be done to prevent it from happening?

Prevention is better than cure

Unless I am being completely ignorant to the graffiti, it does seem to be less relevant on the daily commute into Birmingham from Stourbridge....well at least on the 172s anyway

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Graffiti troubles are related to the same problems as the large number of toilets out of use according to SE on twitter: https://twitter.com/Se_Railway/status/991228815354617856
Article from the Standard on Friday afternoon:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/tra...sks-to-staff-at-cleaning-depots-a3831411.html
Train graffiti ‘epidemic’ blamed on health and safety risks to staff at cleaning depots

One of London’s busiest commuter rail networks is in the grip of a graffiti epidemic after being forced to improve safety at a string of cleaning depots after the electrocution of a cleaner.

Southeastern was fined £2.5 million last year for health and safety breaches which resulted in the death of Roger Lower, who fell onto a 750-volt rail.

Sources have told the Standard that a subsequent investigation revealed potential risks at other depots across the network leading to cleaning facilities being taken out of service.

Commuters have reported an upsurge in graffiti as Southeastern implements new health and safety measures at several sites. The firm admits the problem has become “significantly worse” in the past three months with vandalism of trains more than doubling.

An insider said: “Everything has now been tightened down, as it should be, but it means a lot of the work is not getting done and that includes cleaning graffiti from trains.”

A Southeastern spokesman said staff usually remove graffiti “very quickly” but had struggled recently because of a £5 million safety upgrade being carried out at the network’s 45 depots.

They added that an inspection last year had “uncovered safety risks” at the depots, where graffiti is removed and lavatories are emptied. It is believed that the issue relates to electrical power rails which might come into contact with water during graffiti-cleaning.

Last year Southeastern and its contractor, Wettons Cleaning Services, were found guilty of breaches of the Health and Safety at Work Act after Mr Lower, 46, was killed while cleaning trains at St Leonards-on-Sea.

Guildford crown court was told equipment designed to protect workers was not in use. Southeastern was fined £2.5 million and Wettons Cleaning Services £1.1 million.

City law firm worker Paul Billington, 39, who commutes from Plumstead to Waterloo East or Cannon Street, said: “Almost every other train seems to have large daubs of graffiti.” Civil servant Paul Howarth, 42, who travels from Hither Green to Blackfriars or Charing Cross, said: “It seems to have escalated out of control… it makes the railway feel like a lawless environment.”

British Transport Police and Network Rail have increased patrols in a bid to catch graffiti offenders.

The Southeastern spokesman said: “We’ve been installing temporary safety measures at nearly half of the locations we use to service toilets and clean graffiti off trains, and Network Rail and Southeastern are installing permanent safety improvements through a joint £5 million improvement programme over the next six to nine months.”

furnessvale

Established Member
465050 is heavily tagged.
BTP really need to do some undercover targeting and the courts throw the book at these vandals.

You think they BUY the paint? They even have a term for the shoplifting they do to get the paint. It is called "racking".

furnessvale

Established Member
I think good graffiti is mostly done by middle class students from the local art college. The better the college, the better the graffiti. Good to see young people out in the fresh air and taking an interest in brightening up their community.
Indeed! and the best place they can start is on the walls of their parents house and daddy's shiny new car.

THEN we will see just how popular junior's new hobby is!

furnessvale

Established Member
Need to start hiring security and arming them with paint ball guns... fight fire with fire! Trespassing on railway property and criminal damage to trains laws need to get tough and examples made of.
Over 20 years ago there was a major outbreak in the north west. BTP caught a fair number of these criminals and jail sentences were handed out, some receiving 12-18 months inside.

Word got round and the outbreak virtually stopped. Management saved money by disbanding the squad and after a short break the problem re-emerged.

gazr

A brand new Crossrail unit covered in Grafitti today at Abbey Wood. Didn’t manage to get a pic as I was on a moving train.

Was there yesterday and there was one 345 in the platform and one parked outside the station (think it was 025)... both graffiti free from the side the SE trains pass. Seriously, is anyone doing anything about this?

ComUtoR

Established Member
Considering that unit normally has a security guard on/near it I'm pretty surprised to see that.

gazr

Such creative artwork; I give the 'artist' credit for spelling the word correctly. Also, just how close is the overhead wire from the bridge!!?

Mikey C

Established Member
That is a **expletive as painted on the train** disgrace

How the hell can such people get access to the trains? Is there ANY security?

Status
Not open for further replies.