• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT Trainee driver courses 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

new2this

Hi all,

Like the user suggests I am new to this, would any of you kind people out there be able to confirm if you have heard on the grape vine that SWT have cancelled the trainee train driver courses for 2013?

I am waiting for a date for a medical and then start date as I have completed all the tests and interviews, but have heard that there is only one course running this year and all others have been stopped.

Any help with confirming this would be much appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aubrey4444

Thank you for that quick reply,

I hope this is the case, that I am reading that correct, 13 courses over the year (2013) and 12 trainees on each course?
156 new starters.

I hope that is the case, not just for myself but to all who are waiting to start with SWT.

Hope you are right, I think I applied in 2011 and still waiting as I also passed everything but don't want to wait again til 2014!

klcw_01

Hi, just reading these posts and after passing all my assessments and interviews last feb/march time I am now worried that I will not be starting my training this year!

I am in regular contact with recruitment but have not been told that courses have been cancelled.. I hope this isn't the case!! Or would it depend on the depots which need drivers?

Thanks

Katie

new2this

It could possibly be down to the station managers and what the needs are for each individual depot,

But I would imagine that there would be a need for more drivers everywhere if the new rules and working hours come into effect when they do.

If anyone hears anything new regarding this then please, share.:D

TDK

Established Member
It could possibly be down to the station managers and what the needs are for each individual depot,

But I would imagine that there would be a need for more drivers everywhere if the new rules and working hours come into effect when they do.

If anyone hears anything new regarding this then please, share.:D

European directive for the fatigue index is being examined and will come into effect generally this in turn will mean a lot more drivers are needed to cover the current work. Every extra diagram takes 1.5 drivers so if a company need 60 new diagrams the 90 drivers will be needed to fulfill the fatigue index suggestions. This is actually happening now and hence this is why there are a lot more vacancies coming up since 2000 - 2002. Just remember the new fatige index takes into account door to door and not booking on booking off times so if you are more than 40 minutes from the desired depot you will not even get through the sift.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi, just reading these posts and after passing all my assessments and interviews last feb/march time I am now worried that I will not be starting my training this year!

I am in regular contact with recruitment but have not been told that courses have been cancelled.. I hope this isn't the case!! Or would it depend on the depots which need drivers?

Thanks

Katie

What happens generally with most TOC's is that when there are vacancies the generally get more candidates passing everything that is needed and therefore some go on hold, this number varies on the amount of vacancies and the amount of successful candidates. I have actually put 8 on hold before for just 2 vacancies as they all passed, 6 of those were approached at a later date and are now employed by the company, the other 2 had spread their wings and were not interested, this will most likely be the case for you and others waiting a length of time, the time to start worrying is when the TOC you have passed the assessments with recruits trainees at a later date and you are not contacted.

No point predicting anything. I work for SWT and passed my interview in June 2012 and allocated to Fratton for the October 2012 course. That got delayed and I was assured there would be another job early this year. Was 'medicaled' in December (after being told that it would never happen in 2012) and told it would be for Guildford starting in Feb, as Fratton would mean a very long wait. I was then contacted early in January and told that everything was on hold once again and a February start was now unlikely.

A few days later my station manager walks in and says recruitment have requested my release and contracts are out for the course starting 4th February. I would never have been able to predict this series of events, even if I were omnipotent!

Something will come up soon, don't worry :)

Aubrey4444

Hi all,

Like the user suggests I am new to this, would any of you kind people out there be able to confirm if you have heard on the grape vine that SWT have cancelled the trainee train driver courses for 2013?

I am waiting for a date for a medical and then start date as I have completed all the tests and interviews, but have heard that there is only one course running this year and all others have been stopped.

Any help with confirming this would be much appreciated.

Hi they managed to get me on the feb course but they did tell me that march courses and all other courses for this year have been cancelled.

But please check for yourself.
No point predicting anything. I work for SWT and passed my interview in June 2012 and allocated to Fratton for the October 2012 course. That got delayed and I was assured there would be another job early this year. Was 'medicaled' in December (after being told that it would never happen in 2012) and told it would be for Guildford starting in Feb, as Fratton would mean a very long wait. I was then contacted early in January and told that everything was on hold once again and a February start was now unlikely.

A few days later my station manager walks in and says recruitment have requested my release and contracts are out for the course starting 4th February. I would never have been able to predict this series of events, even if I were omnipotent!

Something will come up soon, don't worry :)

Hi my course is starting on the 4th feb so i might see you there!
Is SWT south west trains?

Hi yes it is.

Aubrey4444

Aubrey4444, should see you on 6th as I'm not required to attend the two day company induction ;) looking forward to meeting you.

Hi did not realise the first 2 days was induction! Looks like you know more about whats happening than I do I don't even know where I have to go yet still waiting for the pack to come so any insight of what's going to happen in the next couple of months would be great

Thanks musty

This is going back about five years, but I had to go to Basingstoke where I met other newbies from all departments and we carried out some group exercises in order to familiarise ourselves with railway operations and, more specifically, Stagecoach itself.

The managing director may indeed make a 20 minute flying visit to welcome you and take any questions. Many confessed to finding it boring, but I was loving it. He told me that the company's electricity bill for the year was £58 million so, if you can, find out the latest figure ;)

I'll find out what subjects we cover in the first 3 months and repost :)

reapz

Hi did not realise the first 2 days was induction! Looks like you know more about whats happening than I do I don't even know where I have to go yet still waiting for the pack to come so any insight of what's going to happen in the next couple of months would be great

Thanks musty

u will have two days induction with free food!

day 3 u go to see your manager at your depot and day 4 you collect uniform from waterloo

http://swtdriver.blogspot.co.uk/sea...:22:00Z&max-results=20&start=20&by-date=false

this blogs tracks the training from day 1!

Aubrey4444

This is going back about five years, but I had to go to Basingstoke where I met other newbies from all departments and we carried out some group exercises in order to familiarise ourselves with railway operations and, more specifically, Stagecoach itself.

The managing director may indeed make a 20 minute flying visit to welcome you and take any questions. Many confessed to finding it boring, but I was loving it. He told me that the company's electricity bill for the year was £58 million so, if you can, find out the latest figure ;)

I'll find out what subjects we cover in the first 3 months and repost :)
Ok thanks, which depot are you going for ?

455driver

Veteran Member
and day 4 you collect one or two bits of uniform from waterloo as they dont have much

Post edited for accuracy.;)

Good luck with that.

I have been waiting for a pair of shoes for 3 months now, my old ones have split across the bottom so I have wet feet all the time now.

They gave us free food for two weeks when I joined. Hope the budget can still stretch that far! Maybe Francis can give us a realistic indicator as to how much food is provided :p

Aubrey4444, I will be based at Guildford. I'm about a three minute walk from the station so maybe not getting Fratton was for the best. Have you received any contracts in the post yet?

Aubrey4444

They gave us free food for two weeks when I joined. Hope the budget can still stretch that far! Maybe Francis can give us a realistic indicator as to how much food is provided :p

Aubrey4444, I will be based at Guildford. I'm about a three minute walk from the station so maybe not getting Fratton was for the best. Have you received any contracts in the post yet?

Hi musty i to at guildford so i will see you on day 3 as im not in the trade so will have to do the induction, But i am nervous as i have been at my other job for 10 years!

That blog is a good insight.

Good to hear you'll be at Guildford. I'm working at Ash Vale station this morning if you're in the area and want to know anything else.

A lot of friends and colleagues have asked me to do a blog, however I'm not as committed to it as Francis so I'm thinking of doing a twitter feed instead.

455driver

Veteran Member
Dont do a blog, you will have more than enough to get through without any distractions.

Just because you have been selected doesnt mean you will be driving trains, you still have a long way to go and normally at least one will fail from each course (2 were "removed" on my course and another failed his final but was put on the guards course instead), so actually 3 out of 12 didnt qualify as drivers, worth remembering.

Oh enjoy the TW week, that one is always fun.:lol:

Enough negativity, good luck to you all, knuckle down and you will be fine (probably ;))

Scuba

Hi 455 Driver

Just out of interest what is the 'TW' week?
I am just waiting for my medical date & paperwork :)

Scuba

455driver

Veteran Member
Part of the rule book.

It stands for "Train Working" (TW5 is best at 102 pages ;)) and is one of those when "A" happens you will do "X,Y and Z", when "B" happens you will do "Q,R and S" except when A and B happen together and you will do "T,U and V" and must not do "Q,R,S,X,Y and Z" weeks, really messes with your brain! ;)

One step at a time folks, one step at a time.

bob hope

Just because you have been selected doesnt mean you will be driving trains, you still have a long way to go and normally at least one will fail from each course (2 were "removed" on my course and another failed his final but was put on the guards course instead), so actually 3 out of 12 didnt qualify as drivers, worth remembering.

Wow - that seems like a very high failure rate.....:(

Any particular reason why they were "removed" 455driver?

Can anyone else comment on the failure rate percentage for Trainees?

TDK

Established Member
Part of the rule book.

It stands for "Train Working" (TW5 is best at 102 pages ;)) and is one of those when "A" happens you will do "X,Y and Z", when "B" happens you will do "Q,R and S" except when A and B happen together and you will do "T,U and V" and must not do "Q,R,S,X,Y and Z" weeks, really messes with your brain! ;)

One step at a time folks, one step at a time.

It used to be Section "H" in the original rule book - death by rules and regs!

kennydies

hi,
Out of curiousity where do you find out about upcoming vacancies as I have never seen one on the south west website?

Status
Not open for further replies.