• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tech support request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ediswan

Established Member
I just noticed that the 'different' 'mark read' behaviour is present again. I do appreciate that this is a side-effect.

This time I remembered to take a Wireshark network capture for later analysis of what the browser actually did when I pressed the 'back' button.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
I understand ads pay for the site, but the number and amount of screen they take up are a little ridiculous, in my opinion!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220926_192255.jpg
    Screenshot_20220926_192255.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20220926-192203_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220926-192203_Chrome.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 35

najaB

Veteran Member
@Mojo Something has gone wrong with your ad script - it's putting ads inside each individual post rather than at the bottom of the thread!

jfollows

Established Member
@Mojo Something has gone wrong with your ad script - it's putting ads inside each individual post rather than at the bottom of the thread!
Agreed, they're all over the place, top of page, bottom of page, in the middle of posts. Seem to be the same advert multiple times. Some of them may just be the attachments though.
Ignore, there are adverts but they're sort-of OK I think.

skyhigh

Established Member
2 ads inside one post (with loads of added blank space), 2 ads inside a single thread title box on the listing page and one that's taking up almost the bottom quarter of my phone screen and covering up the new post box. I hope that's not the design intention!!

najaB

Veteran Member
2 ads inside one post (with loads of added blank space), 2 ads inside a single thread title box on the listing page and one that's taking up almost the bottom quarter of my phone screen and covering up the new post box. I hope that's not the design intention!!
Indeed. Strange spacing in the thread list:
1664217968458.png
And also ads being repeated in both the lightbox and the thread footer as well:
1664218005289.png

I think that might be overkill!

skyhigh

Established Member
Indeed. Strange spacing in the thread list:
View attachment 121300
And also ads being repeated in both the lightbox and the thread footer as well:
View attachment 121301

I think that might be overkill!
I'm not using an ad blocker but all the ads have vanished for me now. The spacing is still there though, so there are massive empty spaces all over the page. Hopefully this is just teething trouble as the site is fairly unusable at the moment.
1664218229680.png

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Nothing has gone wrong, as I said in the announcements forum, we will be developing a new layout for the forum over the next few weeks, this will take a considerable amount of time so you may see some inappropriately placed adverts temporarily. No need to report this!

najaB

Veteran Member
Nothing has gone wrong, as I said in the announcements forum, we will be developing a new layout for the forum over the next few weeks, this will take a considerable amount of time so you may see some inappropriately placed adverts temporarily. No need to report this!
Okay. Well can I give a very strong thumbs down to the current iteration. I mean, this is a bit much:
1664218516116.png

JB_B

Established Member
Haven't had a chance to look properly but just today I've had a massive increase in far too large ads (making the site unusable on some devices when logged in) - and at the same time (presumably related) the too-many-redirects problems are back.

Edit: seems to be back to normal now.

Is there a dev site you can test these things on?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Haven't had a chance to look properly but just today I've had a massive increase in far too large ads (making the site unusable on some devices when logged in) - and at the same time (presumably related) the too-many-redirects problems are back.

Edit: seems to be back to normal now.

Is there a dev site you can test these things on?
See the relevant post above:

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
I'm using the same ad system (Ezoic) experimentally on www.ltfares.com although I'm not very happy with it and will probably end up changing it back to Google ads in due course. The way it works is that you give the system quite a lot of control over your site and indicate lots of different "placeholders" where it might possibly inject ads - it then uses a sort of trial and error approach to see what works and what doesn't and in theory should automatically settle down on ads that aren't too annoying to the user but still bring good revenue to the site.

Recessio

The redirect problem has just appeared again within the last 24h for me. Chrome on Android, Firefox on Ubuntu. Also tried using a VPN but no luck.

Had to find this thread by looking at "What's new" until I found a post in General Discussion and could go back without going to the home. Page...

Ambient Sheep

Same here with the Redirect issue. Not had any trouble with it whatsoever until now (had no idea some people had been struggling) but had trouble getting on tonight.

Only managed it via a saved bookmark to Infrastructure & Stations and then doing a search for "Cookies" to find a suitable thread (this one, hopefully!).

Clicking Forums at the top brings back the error (due to it including the www I guess).

Chrome 100.0.4896.127 on Android 7.0.

Hopefully just some DNS thing that will propagate itself right soon (am on Virgin wifi at present), but if not, here's the report. :)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Have you tried clearing your cache? As any problems were short lived to a few minutes yesterday evening whilst we were doing a technical change.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Apologies,it seems there were indeed further issues overnight. I've now taken control back from our ad provider and I think we're going to consider this a failed experiment so it shouldn't happen again once DNS updates for everyone.

najaB

Veteran Member
Apologies,it seems there were indeed further issues overnight. I've now taken control back from our ad provider and I think we're going to consider this a failed experiment so it shouldn't happen again once DNS updates for everyone.
Thanks. There definitely was something screwy going on.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Seems quite similar to my experiences with Ezoic. The money is indeed good, but the amount of control you have to give them over the site and the annoyingness of the ads means on balance it probably isn't worth it. However it did help me to learn which ads work well without being overly annoying, and I am going to try to re-implement that using Google Ads on my sites...

WesternBiker

I'm also still having problems logging on to the main site address using Safari on my iPhone (last night and today). I can log in fine on Safari and Chrome on my MacBook.

I get the error message "Safari cannot open the page because too many redirects occurred."

I have cleared the cache and cookies, to no avail. Other websites are working fine.

Last edited:

DelW

Established Member
As well as the "too many redirects" message repeatedly blocking access, I noticed that a lot of the little icons aren't appearing, with a cross in a rectangle instead (presumably indicating the place where an icon should fit).

It's most frustrating, despite having cleared cookies and caches, I have to use Google to link to a specific forum to get in at all.

Whatever this experiment was about, it seriously hasn't worked!

Last edited:

JB_B

Established Member
I think that on an iphone, toggling airplane mode off/on should flush the dns cache. That’s just worked for me.

Ambient Sheep

Yes, further to my earlier post, would just like to confirm that all seems ok now. Thanks for fixing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.