• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink/ Class 700 Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgwrich

Established Member
From this recent video by Siemens, it looks like the first Desiro City Shell isn't too far off completion.

[youtube]e52sCc1YbnE&app=desktop[/youtube]

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
It also looks like it is going to be fitted with the ETCS and ATO in-cab equipment from new, so none of these horrible modification jobs (read - most old stock and the TPWS box)

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The first train is almost finished and off for testing on the continent shortly. Siemens are somewhere around bodyshell 20 now.

And they will need to get the Tunbridge Wells destination display deleted ;)

fgwrich

Established Member
The first train is almost finished and off for testing on the continent shortly. Siemens are somewhere around bodyshell 20 now.

Well I did know Siemens worked pretty quickly but that's impressive in the space of 3 days and an hour! :lol: Pleased to hear that though, I had a feeling that the Siemens Video was probably a little out of date, but it does show some visible progress including those neat bogies.

Class377/5

Established Member
Few other bits in this official thread.

The first unit will be moved for test "by the end of the year" according to Siemens Rail System MD Steve Scrimshaw.

The first 12 car is scheduled to be delivered by Christmas 2015 and in service in February 2016, with the first 8 car arriving in early 2014. The final unit is planned to arrive by the end of May 2018 to give 6 months before the full fleet introduction is required.

Have you seen the 'garage' video that's taken from?

Siemens Desiro Cities by Sparkyscrum, on Flickr

Seems that Siemens, unlike Hitachi are building their own bogies then ;)

I can't remember where but one of Siemens factories is building them and the class 700 order will take 25% of the plants capacity.

westcoaster

Established Member
Few other bits in this official thread.

The first unit will be moved for test "by the end of the year" according to Siemens Rail System MD Steve Scrimshaw.

The first 12 car is scheduled to be delivered by Christmas 2015 and in service in February 2016, with the first 8 car arriving in early 2014. The final unit is planned to arrive by the end of May 2018 to give 6 months before the full fleet introduction is required.

Have you seen the 'garage' video that's taken from?

Siemens Desiro Cities by Sparkyscrum, on Flickr

I can't remember where but one of Siemens factories is building them and the class 700 order will take 25% of the plants capacity.

Vienna Austria was mentioned

Monty

Established Member
Nice looking trains! What is ATO?

Automatic Train Operation, ie the train drives itself much like the 2009 stock on the Victoria Line. Apparently this is needed to get the 24tph service pattern through the tunnel in the city.

59CosG95

Established Member
Automatic Train Operation, ie the train drives itself much like the 2009 stock on the Victoria Line. Apparently this is needed to get the 24tph service pattern through the tunnel in the city.

Presumably the driver will still be in the cab through the London Section, then take over at, say, West Hampstead, or East Croydon, or Finsbury Park?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Presumably the driver will still be in the cab through the London Section, then take over at, say, West Hampstead, or East Croydon, or Finsbury Park?

The ATO section is significantly smaller than that, it only includes the four core stations and London Bridge. The boundaries are east of London Bridge, north of Elephant, and immediately north of St Pancras on both branches, and there's no ATO on the ECML.

...and yes, the driver will definitely stay on board - as he'll still have control of the doors, and will start the train after each call.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Krefeld - "Heimat" (Home) of the 350's and much else. A good number of bodyshells done and job going well.

Class377/5

Established Member
Train launch in news year plus I'm sure thoses of us internal to Thameslink have seen the good news as well.

As Westcoaster says more to come out next year but it's good news that many on here may join in on.

Loki

railwaygazette-cover-201312.jpg

Manchester77

Established Member
I guess these will be similar internally to Scotrails 380s?

I'm not sure but personally, I'd say no as the 380s have tables and are more kitted out to be regional trans whereas I'd imagine the 700s would have more airline style seats. There was a PDF document released by siemens and it showed the interior to be 2+2 seats with stand back areas around the doors and central grab rails in the door area. I'm not sure how much this has changed though :)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Also, to support the above info, the TSGN ITT points out that the Class 700 capacity will be based on the '4 passengers per square metre' standing allowance (as used in SWT's 455 conversions), which therefore implies 2+2 with loads of room for standees and perch seats around the doors.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Train launch in news year plus I'm sure thoses of us internal to Thameslink have seen the good news as well.

As Westcoaster says more to come out next year but it's good news that many on here may join in on.

Is this good news that is unexpected?

Status
Not open for further replies.