• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink/ Class 700 Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yabbadabba

That certainly sounds a sensible route, I bet Class 92's aren't cleared for any of it though so it will have to be a shed on the front or maybe two or three ED's?
Any idea why the difference between the first five being split and the remainder coming whole?
Without sounding ignorant what is a brake force wagon exactly?

With the 1st five units I believe they will not have any active brakes or any way to control them, so they need to have enough other vehicles in the formation to allow for braking. After that they should have a translator vehicles ready that will allow the engines brake demands to run through the units brakes and operate them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RobShipway

Established Member
That certainly sounds a sensible route, I bet Class 92's aren't cleared for any of it though so it will have to be a shed on the front or maybe two or three ED's?
Any idea why the difference between the first five being split and the remainder coming whole?
Without sounding ignorant what is a brake force wagon exactly?

Brake force wagon, is a Brake van I believe?

Class377/5

Established Member
I have a copy of the "Clearance Assessment of Thameslink Class 700 Delivery Routes; 1a,1b, 1c, 2, 3a, 3b, 4, 5, and 6 for Units 1 to 5", i'll have another look through for their prefered route, but i believe it's via the old boat train route until factory junction then via Balham, Crystal Palace and Redhill.

There are also routes for Cricklewood and Hornsey but not Willsden.

The 1st five trains will be delivered as Engine, brake force wagons, 4 car 700, brake force wagons, 4 car 700, brake force wagons, 4 car 700 and brake force wagons. Note the fixed formation 12 cars are being slit up for the transit move.

The remaining sets should be delivered as Engine, Translator wagon, 12 or 8 car 700 then another Translator wagon.

27 'coaches' long.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
I've merged the threads. The forum search function is usually rubbish (unless you want to search by username) so I usually use Google. If you put your search terms and then site:www.railforums.co.uk Google will only list results from the forum :)

Could whoever deals with the technical side of the forums consider the use of http://sphinxsearch.com/ for the forum search?

With the 1st five units I believe they will not have any active brakes or any way to control them, so they need to have enough other vehicles in the formation to allow for braking. After that they should have a translator vehicles ready that will allow the engines brake demands to run through the units brakes and operate them.

Once they've arrived at the depot, how many miles of testing do they have to go through (each unit) before they're finally deemed ready for service?

jon0844

Veteran Member
I hope the first 700 doesn't stop for any length of time before it enters the tunnel, or else it might be crush loaded with migrants!

D365

Veteran Member
I hope the first 700 doesn't stop for any length of time before it enters the tunnel, or else it might be crush loaded with migrants!

Would be a great test of their rush-hour capability however ;)

[Shouldn't be a problem for a Thameslink unit seeing as two 319s have been a few miles down the Chunnel :P]

Domh245

Established Member

I suppose that's one way of testing if the wide doors and gangways encourage people to move down inside the train!

Class377/5

Established Member
Thats going test the up yard No1 road to it's limit, no wonder its going to take a lot of shunting to reform the unit.

That's why its 36 cars long. To deal with a 12 dragging a failed 12. Soon be in the shed out of sight.

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member

Probably they will have brakes but they may not have approval to rely on them until they have done some testing with those units.

Yabbadabba

That's why its 36 cars long. To deal with a 12 dragging a failed 12. Soon be in the shed out of sight.

Well more like 2X12 car, then all the space taken up by the converging P&C then the 12 car headshunt for the shed roads/wheel lathe and carriage washer But still it going to interesting signalling it in.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The 1st one is on route, all 560m (approx) of it.

Domh245

Established Member
Unlikely, seeing as it is coming from the SLL (LO line) and will go through one of the southern platforms

Yabbadabba

Email today confirmed that it's on route from Rheydt (Mönchengladbach) believe it's via the old boat train 1 route, then I know for sure that's it's Factory Jcn, Clapham Junction, Norbury, Redhill and Three Bridges, Oppos and Sultan in a few locations and some platform restriction.

After some confusion and emails flying around today it's been confirmed that the depot is now open which was a close call considering the train had been on the move for nearly 5hrs by then.

TheJRB

Established Member
I know it's not of particular interest to anybody but myself but this is a small old world sometimes. I took a photo of that same loco in that photo when I was in Remagen earlier this month, I had to go through Mönchengladbach on the diverted ICE train and the Thameslink unit itself is coming through my home town! :lol:

03_179

Established Member
Alleged to have one barrier coach in between each carriage but from the photo it doesn't appear to be that way.

Envy123

I wonder when the first trains will start running for passenger use? I suspect the replacements would be the same as the S Stock on the sub surface lines in LU - initially rarer than hen's teeth, then 50-50 and only then a full replacement.

387star

On Moderation
So has a date been set for when three bridges becomes a normal drivers depot.. Spring 2016 was mentioned.. And are they looking to base near 100 drivers there? Presumably blackfriars drivers may transfer as I know many live around there which will then free up space at blackfriars for trainees or will blackfriars downsize?,presumably not given all the new trains and services .. There is also a southern depot there though I believe not a big one

I don't know how quickly they are looking to fill three bridges depot up

I have been told in the near future they will recruit into there for trainees and it is a definite opening which is good news for me in the gtr talent pool.. Three bridges is my neck of the woods so to speak

The near future I would define as within the year and I spoke to someone quite high up at southern who reckons they will recruit this year for the opening next year.. Vacancies are already live for qualifieds

Status
Not open for further replies.