• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Theresa May calls General Election on 8th June.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Senex

Established Member
The fact remains Theresa May's campaign has been an unmitigated disaster for the Conservative Party.
Corbyn has actually fought a far better campaign than many were expecting. And sustaining 25 point leads is always going to be difficult, even before the mess she has made of it.
The Conservative campaign has indeed been dire and it will be fascinating to see if they can pull anything back in the last week and a half. There's reporting on the radio this morning about a falling-out of May's two top advisers.

Corbyn has fought a far better campaign than many, including me, were expecting, but has suffered from very poor "support" from several in his top circle. Thornberry and Abbott are dreadful, with the latter putting her foot in it virtually every time she opens her mouth, and I think the education spokeswomen pretty well as bad -- not least because she can hardly use Standard English. After Corbyn had made a decent show of defending his terrorism record against Andrew Neill (whether one believes him or not is a different matter), it was pretty crass for Abbott then to go on record saying that yes he had met some IRA leaders in the context of their being members of Sinn Feinn (according to reports on BBC radio yesterday evening).

Steveman

Dianne Abbott is on The Andrew Marr Show Lets see what crap she chats I'll post what she says soon

Absolute car crash interview with the long time racist Abbott who brings a new dimension to the word incompetent.

Her response when asked about her statement "a defeat for the British state would be a great liberation" was that she had a rather splendid afro at the time and things have moved on.
Surely not in any time since parliament was created has an opposition front bench been so utterly incompetent, dangerous and ignorant.

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
Absolute car crash interview with the long time racist Abbott who brings a new dimension to the word incompetent.

It really is amazing, isn't it? Every time I just about think that I can stomach a Labour vote, even just as a tactical anti-Tory protest, they wheel out Diane RNG Abbott and remind me of what a shower of morons they are.

Hell hath no fury like a man who thought he was going to be the next prime minister!

Perhaps if he wanted to be the next PM he should have stood for leadership of the Conservative party in 2016. :idea:

Howardh

Established Member
When we talk about polls and their associated poll ratings, let us not forget just how wrong these have been in recent times when balanced against the actuality of a result.

After the polls got it wrong last time, this they may be weighted to take account of the "shy" Tory voter, and if they're not so shy this time, the polls may be adding tot he Tory vote when in fact they shouldn't.

Wonder if there's a "shy" Labour element?

northwichcat

Veteran Member
A related thought is that a swing from UKIP to Labour or Conservatives is equivalent to half a corresponding swing to them from the LibDems. So, the collapse of UKIP could render a few LibDem seats vulnerable.

At the most recent elections the total number of Labour + UKIP votes combined were lower than the number of Lib Dem votes in the following constituencies:
Carshalton and Wallington
Orkney and Shetland
Westmorland and Lonsdale
North Norfolk
Richmond Park
Ceredigion

The ones where Labour + UKIP votes combined were higher are:
Southport
Sheffield Hallam
Leeds North West

Southport and Sheffield Hallam were both Tory seats in the Thatcher era which the Lib Dems took in 1997, so if Labour couldn't win those seats in 1997, they have little chance of winning them in 2017.

Leeds North West is a seat which the Lib Dems, Labour and Conservatives have all held so I imagine it's a seat which all 3 see as having a chance of winning.

What May, Corbyn and Sturgeon should be concerned of is there were numerous seats which those parties won from the Lib Dems in 2015 with very small majorities. The Lib Dems are slightly more popular than they were in 2015, so if the other parties want to retain those seats they also need to be more popular than they were 2 years ago.

However, Brexit could cause some shocks. Kate Hoey is one of the most pro-Brexit MPs in the Labour party, yet she represents an area where most voters voted Remain. Here in North East Cheshire the Lib Dems are seeing increasing support in a traditional Conservative heartland. The Conservatives 'fair funding' formula will mean schools in Cheshire East lose funding, while the Conservative council are proposing many villages will lose their bus services and that while people in villages without regular buses will be able to use a pre-booked flexible scheme they'll be a £3 charge for it, even for ENCTS holders - so that's not popular with pensioners!

northwichcat

Veteran Member
After the polls got it wrong last time, this they may be weighted to take account of the "shy" Tory voter, and if they're not so shy this time, the polls may be adding tot he Tory vote when in fact they shouldn't.

Wonder if there's a "shy" Labour element?

Just after posting my previous post I got an email asking me to take a YouGov survey. I just completed it and the questions are a lot more specific than they used to be. For instance, they asked which party I would vote and then asked which candidate I would vote for based on my postcode - that could generate a different answer as someone living in my constituency could say UKIP in response to the first question but then the second question doesn't have the option of a UKIP candidate. They also asked how likely I am to change my mind both over my choice of candidate and whether or not I will vote.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It really is amazing, isn't it? Every time I just about think that I can stomach a Labour vote, even just as a tactical anti-Tory protest, they wheel out Diane RNG Abbott and remind me of what a shower of morons they are

Loyalty can be a wonderful thing but in this case is damaging for Corbyn.
She seems so widely disliked by people that I wonder if giving her the boot could push Labour far closer to the Conservatives in the amount of votes they could get than he realises.
I know he won't get rid of her but she seems like such an incompetent windbag that if by some unlikely chance Labour do win next month she's probably going to end up making constant embarrassing gaffes that he's going to end up having to defend her for.

Howardh

Established Member
Loyalty can be a wonderful thing but in this case is damaging for Corbyn.
She seems so widely disliked by people that I wonder if giving her the boot could push Labour far closer to the Conservatives in the amount of votes they could get than he realises.
I know he won't get rid of her but she seems like such an incompetent windbag that if by some unlikely chance Labour do win next month she's probably going to end up making constant embarrassing gaffes that he's going to end up having to defend her for.

Can she marry Boris? <D

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Many people are diehard supporters of a particular party and will still vote for their candidate come what may and not judge on performance. I find this particularly prevalent among Labour Party (as well as the rich Conservative voters) supporters who will vote because their family always voted Labour and that it is traditional in a particular area. I have seen some interviewed on TV recently and some have stated that they are voting for the party and not for Corbyn but overlook the fact that he is destroying the party.

317 forever

Established Member
At the most recent elections the total number of Labour + UKIP votes combined were lower than the number of Lib Dem votes in the following constituencies:
Carshalton and Wallington
Orkney and Shetland
Westmorland and Lonsdale
North Norfolk
Richmond Park
Ceredigion

The ones where Labour + UKIP votes combined were higher are:
Southport
Sheffield Hallam
Leeds North West

Southport and Sheffield Hallam were both Tory seats in the Thatcher era which the Lib Dems took in 1997, so if Labour couldn't win those seats in 1997, they have little chance of winning them in 2017.

Leeds North West is a seat which the Lib Dems, Labour and Conservatives have all held so I imagine it's a seat which all 3 see as having a chance of winning.

What May, Corbyn and Sturgeon should be concerned of is there were numerous seats which those parties won from the Lib Dems in 2015 with very small majorities. The Lib Dems are slightly more popular than they were in 2015, so if the other parties want to retain those seats they also need to be more popular than they were 2 years ago.

However, Brexit could cause some shocks. Kate Hoey is one of the most pro-Brexit MPs in the Labour party, yet she represents an area where most voters voted Remain. Here in North East Cheshire the Lib Dems are seeing increasing support in a traditional Conservative heartland. The Conservatives 'fair funding' formula will mean schools in Cheshire East lose funding, while the Conservative council are proposing many villages will lose their bus services and that while people in villages without regular buses will be able to use a pre-booked flexible scheme they'll be a £3 charge for it, even for ENCTS holders - so that's not popular with pensioners!

While I don't actually want this, we could just have a Scotland Tories '97 moment in which the LibDems lose Carshalton & Wallington, Norfolk North, Southport and recent by-election gain Richmond Park to the Tories. Arithmetically I could add Westmoreland & Lonsdale, but their 8000+ majority even before Tim Farron became Leader make this seat comparatively safe.

Leeds North West could go Labour, and so could Sheffield Hallam if UKIP voters defect to Labour. Labour were in second place there in 2015.

Plaid Cymru could regain Ceredigion, and the SNP could gain Orkney & Shetland where the LibDem majority was just over 800.

In other words, a LibDem wipeout or Tim Farron the only available MP to be Leader. Unlikely I know, but ....

Butts

Veteran Member
While I don't actually want this, we could just have a Scotland Tories '97 moment in which the LibDems lose Carshalton & Wallington, Norfolk North, Southport and recent by-election gain Richmond Park to the Tories. Arithmetically I could add Westmoreland & Lonsdale, but their 8000+ majority even before Tim Farron became Leader make this seat comparatively safe.

Leeds North West could go Labour, and so could Sheffield Hallam if UKIP voters defect to Labour. Labour were in second place there in 2015.

Plaid Cymru could regain Ceredigion, and the SNP could gain Orkney & Shetland where the LibDem majority was just over 800.

In other words, a LibDem wipeout or Tim Farron the only available MP to be Leader. Unlikely I know, but ....

Send for Lembit Opik :p

northwichcat

Veteran Member

I'd personally like Theresa May's plan to backfire. It seems she called a General Election so that it will be easier for her to take us out of the single market, despite some of her own MPs being strongly against that - Ken Clarke, George Osborne etc.

Incidentally, Esther McVey, the person hoping to replace George Osborne, yesterday repeated her controversial comments about food banks at an event in Wilmslow.

overthewater

Established Member
Does anyone wonder just how many of the electorate who will actually cast their vote on the day of the General Election will have heard of some of the "snippets" that some forum members bring forth to this thread.

What about the U turn on the Conservatives' social care? that snippit did a lot of damaged ;)

The people who are not likely to see these snippets will have already cased their vote via the post.

me123

Established Member
Well I can't watch Youtube videos any more because the Conservatives seem to have bought up all available advertising space and are showing wall-to-wall attack ads against Jeremy Corbyn. And it's getting bloody irritating.

Do they not realise that the people who watch Youtube are probably just going to be less likely to vote for you when you bombard them with the same advert every few minutes?

mbonwick

Established Member
Arithmetically I could add Westmoreland & Lonsdale, but their 8000+ majority even before Tim Farron became Leader make this seat comparatively safe.

Don't count on it. Timmy had a 12,000 majority in 2010, reduced to 8,000 in 2015.
The only thing Tim has been any good at since he became leader is turning people away from voting for him. He used to be a great constituency MP, that's now gone. And a lot of people who voted for him in 2015 have also been thoroughly put off by his stance on Brexit.

Barn

Established Member
Well, i'm already past the point where i'd like to punch Paxman.

His opening 5 minutes on the genesis of the manifesto probably helped Labour by showing that Corbyn is indeed diluted by his party, and people can vote Labour without getting pure Corbyn.

Status
Not open for further replies.