• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE franchise awarded to First

Status
Not open for further replies.

HH

Established Member
The number crunchers probably have already moved on if they were part of the bid team. Rarely do bid teams actually carry on to operate the franchise.

1. The number crunchers just crunch the numbers, they don't make the big decisions.

2. Sometimes the guys that make the decisions are the ones to run the franchise. IMO that should always be the case; I bet you'd see a lot less NXEC and the like (GTR!) if it was.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dgl

Established Member
One of the biggest problems with the transfer to touch-screen machines is the disconnect between the display and what happens when it's touched. I'm sure we've all experienced the annoyance of pressing a letter only for the letter to its right or left or underneath to appear instead. Advocates for cashless society will have to wait while the industry works on guaranteeing that machines give out what we type in!

(A jukebox in a favourite pub of mine has a similar problem where the screen and touch function are not correctly aligned. By "bobbing down" and pressing with the inner finger rather then the tip, jt works. You learn something from repeated use of these things I guess)

Most of these systems seem to use old style resistive touch screens which from my experience do need re-calibrating from time to time, the more modern capacitive touch screens do not seem to need to. Whilst switching to capacitive screens would help on the calibration issue the fact that resistive screens will work with anything, not just the finger, and the fact that it is less susceptible to spurious/ghost touches is why they are still used.

Maybe having a member of station staff (at staffed stations) who can re calibrate the screen once a day would be good.

Spartacus

Established Member
I used one of these monoliths at Dewsbury last week and can say I was far from impressed. I can usually wizz through any machine in double quick time but found the combination of the layout and terrible touch screen meant I took just as long to buy one ticket as the couple next to me took to buy their from one of the only slightly older machines, and they obviously weren't all that used to them.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I passed through Manchester Piccadilly briefly last night, and noticed the new TPE electronic displays of engineering works and service alterations.
These are much better than the old paper posters and give a professional edge to the operation.
Presumably they can be updated/changed quickly as events unfold.

Now we just need Network Rail to leapfrog 20 years from the age of low-resolution monochrome dot-matrix departure screens.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I passed through Manchester Piccadilly briefly last night, and noticed the new TPE electronic displays of engineering works and service alterations.
These are much better than the old paper posters and give a professional edge to the operation.
Presumably they can be updated/changed quickly as events unfold.

Now we just need Network Rail to leapfrog 20 years from the age of low-resolution monochrome dot-matrix departure screens.
The electronic display have been around for quite a while, also if you are referring to the main departure screen it has recently been replaced by a new one, as has the one on platform 13/14 concourse. I will try and find a link to the thread that it is on.
Sam

WatcherZero

Established Member
The shoulder height tv information screens hes refering too. Yes they look pretty good but they rotate image too quickly, doesnt give enough time to read even a third of the text.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

TPE have ordered another 6 class 68 taking their order to 19.

No idea why theyve increased their order.

Last edited:

WatcherZero

Established Member
Arent they owned by DRS acting as Rosco? They could see a future use for them after a short hire.

Established Member
The first Mark 5A carriage body shell entered production today at CAF'S Beasain facility.

Presumably the new Caledonian Sleeper coaches will also be designated Mark 5A as well.

sprinterguy

Established Member
66 brand new trains...?
That's either a typo or simplification for the benefit of the general public, as it's actually 66 carriages (forming thirteen trains, with a spare vehicle).

There looks to be a good balance between the number of table and airline seats.

Last edited:

BurtonM

I noticed yesterday that one of the new livery TPE units has received Royal British Legion poppy vinyls on a dark blue background on its ends.

387star

On Moderation
When will 185 refurbishment work start? Pretty sure it is running late... Does it apply to the whole fleet or ojly those they keep?

Also with some 185s eventually becoming spare is there a reason Northern can't take these to off load some sprinters

pemma

Veteran Member
When will 185 refurbishment work start? Pretty sure it is running late... Does it apply to the whole fleet or ojly those they keep?

Also with some 185s eventually becoming spare is there a reason Northern can't take these to off load some sprinters

They haven't got their two temporary mk3 sets available for service which won't help

Status
Not open for further replies.