• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Nova 1 Class 802/2 Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Driver apparently panned down but train did not respond. When moving from 3 to 4 and ran out of wire the pan hit the canopy before the overreach sensor kicked in. That's the current messroom story anyway...

J-2739

Established Member
So yesterday, I travelled on my first 802 (802214) from Huddersfield to Liverpool Lime Street, so my first Hitatch, erm... what's the name of the family?

My first impression was that the carriage I was in (and by extension, other carriages) was really long. I know they are 26m, but I didn't expect them to be that stretched. Definitely a sort of culture shock, being used to midget sized Pacers. Chucked myself on a window seat, and found it firm, but helping with good posture, so to reduce the chance of developing back problems? Legroom was optimum, but they missed a step (pun intended?!) by not installing a footrest, I think. Unfortunately, the train also had the worst new train smell I've ever experienced. Like your least favourite fruit going off.

Ride quality was good, although things got a bit...exciting near Chat Moss. Under diesel mode, the noise levels were kept to a minimum; almost like I was in a Desiro. Sadly, acceleration was pretty piss poor until we got to Man Vic, and hooked up to the juice. Okay, the traction motors are a special sort of loud (until you're up to speed), but the acceleration was simply stunning; It really was as if the Japanese had donated to us one of their Shinkansens (and we sent it to WW). Oh, and there was an awful droning sound in the background on both modes. Finally, a honourable mention to the PIS announcer, who not only sounds better than the dross which infests the 195s, but sounds like a certain character off Corrie...

As I exited this train final stop, I just remembered that these units are replacing the 185s: "Ah yeah, definitely better than those things".

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
So yesterday, I travelled on my first 802 (802214) from Huddersfield to Liverpool Lime Street, so my first Hitatch, erm... what's the name of the family?

My first impression was that the carriage I was in (and by extension, other carriages) was really long. I know they are 26m, but I didn't expect them to be that stretched. Definitely a sort of culture shock, being used to midget sized Pacers. Chucked myself on a window seat, and found it firm, but helping with good posture, so to reduce the chance of developing back problems? Legroom was optimum, but they missed a step (pun intended?!) by not installing a footrest, I think. Unfortunately, the train also had the worst new train smell I've ever experienced. Like your least favourite fruit going off.

Ride quality was good, although things got a bit...exciting near Chat Moss. Under diesel mode, the noise levels were kept to a minimum; almost like I was in a Desiro. Sadly, acceleration was pretty piss poor until we got to Man Vic, and hooked up to the juice. Okay, the traction motors are a special sort of loud (until you're up to speed), but the acceleration was simply stunning; It really was as if the Japanese had donated to us one of their Shinkansens (and we sent it to WW). Oh, and there was an awful droning sound in the background on both modes. Finally, a honourable mention to the PIS announcer, who not only sounds better than the dross which infests the 195s, but sounds like a certain character off Corrie...

As I exited this train final stop, I just remembered that these units are replacing the 185s: "Ah yeah, definitely better than those things".
A good review, but I'm struggling with the "WW" in the bit I've bolded... World War? Walter White? Woody Woodpecker? Wootton Wawen?

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
214 has been running around on 2 engines as opposed to the usual 3 for a few days. That would explain the poor performance you experienced. Granted there’s only around 1900hp to shift 5 cars on diesel compared to closer to 3000hp on straight electric and less than what a 185 shifts on, but with 2 engines that will be down to around 1300, about the same as a class 31.

Spartacus

Established Member
One thing I noted on a trip yesterday is that the baby changing facilities are downright dangerous. All but no lip on the changing table, a smooth slippery surface and no restraining strap. All seems designed to deposit your child on the floor......

Class455

Established Member
There’s a path in tomorrow for a Heaton-Doncaster-Acton-Eastleigh move. I believe this may be a TPE 802 going for livery?

Pacco

One passed over me on the bridge over the M60 South of Manchester this afternoon on it's way to the airport. It looked like it was from the future! Especially when compared to the normal 319s and 185s on that line, it was very eye-catching. I think the silver livery really helps.

Lots of people, especially those who normally use cars, like getting on Pendolinos, they look 'special'. I think the same will apply on these. Kudos for TPE for having the grapes to go for it with these trains.

Jordan1163

If I was to go to Newcastle central and get a train running from Liverpool lime street to Edinburgh what are the chances of it being a 802 compared to a 185? Also would the chances of getting an 802 be higher say, at the end of April 2020?

_toommm_

Established Member
what are the chances of it being a 802 compared to a 185?

In the politest possible way; it would be anyone's guess. It depends on who is working that day, and whether they are trained on them or not. That at the minute is probably the main reason why services are cancelled.

would the chances of getting an 802 be higher say, at the end of April 2020?

Most definitely. I cant imagine everyone being trained until the May 2020 timetable changes personally, but there should be a great deal more trained by then.

3973EXL

Established Member

Class455

Established Member

PomWombat

802 218 carried me on 9S13 today from Leeds to Edinburgh, in plain grey.

It was a lively journey, and boy could it accelerate ... on either diesel or electric. Pretty empty, but far more room than the XC that followed a couple of minutes later.

3973EXL

Established Member
Which company provides the drivers for these workings? Presumably a FOC?
GBRf - If you look on RTT at the TSC, GB is 5546080
  • UID K00081, identity 5Q98
    TSC 55460080
  • STP schedule
    24th January 2020 only
  • Great Britain (Network Rail, TPS)

Class455

Established Member
Damn, now this would've been something I'd have loved to see.
However, now with all units accepted into traffic and work at Eastleigh to vinyl the units stepping up, hopefully this will mean the Nova 1 diagrams will start to increase over the next few weeks. If 802207 can be turned around in a week, then the whole fleet should be completed and full Nova 1 diagrams in service by March at the latest

Last edited:

_toommm_

Established Member
Damn, now this would've been something I'd have loved to see.
However, now with all units accepted into traffic and work at Eastleigh to vinyl the units stepping up, hopefully this will mean the Nova 1 diagrams will start to increase over the next few weeks. If 802207 can be turned around in a week, then the whole fleet should be completed and full Nova 1 diagrams in service by March at the latest

It looked pretty good to be fair. Even though it was on greens, it was running fairly slowly so you should be able to get a good look at it.

thejuggler

Local news has just featured a resident living adjacent to the new Scarborough depot and the noise from those new trains when idling isn't something I could live with at 4am.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Currently on a TPE 802 for the first time. I’m impressed. Seats are a tad firm but it’s light and spacious. Reservations system not working (stubs in the top of the seats) and the carpet needs a vacuum but like it overall.

_toommm_

Established Member
Currently on a TPE 802 for the first time. I’m impressed. Seats are a tad firm but it’s light and spacious. Reservations system not working (stubs in the top of the seats) and the carpet needs a vacuum but like it overall.

It doesn't work on any of the 802s yet from my experience. MK5a's are a bit more reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.