• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Describer Messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

E_Reeves

Established Member
I presume the 4 character limit is so deeply embedded that increasing it so that more meaningful descriptions can be used is too difficult?
Well all headcodes are 4 characters long anyway, and I don't see that changing at all in the forseeable future. The descriptions din't really have to be detailed, just enought so it reminds the signaller.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I presume the 4 character limit is so deeply embedded that increasing it so that more meaningful descriptions can be used is too difficult?
Given that this isn't the primary use of a train describer there will not be any change any time soon.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Would a black country born signaller be tempted to use BOST when the typical breakdown of units or track/signal/wire defect happens

(Bost being black country for not working!)

tsr

Established Member
Would a black country born signaller be tempted to use BOST when the typical breakdown of units or track/signal/wire defect happens

(Bost being black country for not working!)

Signallers around South London have been known to use “BARF” or “BERF” - which means “Berth[ed]”, so far as I can see!

LAX54

Established Member
Some odd ones in the Norwich area... JUBY, FUEL and RUNR. Any ideas what they might be?

JUBY: unit for the JUBILEE SDGS. FUEL: unit for juice at the point. RUNR: run round, normally seen Trowse Loop.

SLOT: indication to station staff a hauled set has been accepted by Crown Point. LOWL: shunt to the Low Level csdgs. SPAR: spare unit DOH- : some sort of train stopping failure either rail or traction
-LB- or LBLK: 'Line Blockage' I123: WON item DVT- : Hauled set. DMU- : Unit -xxx: (part of headcode of train), if there would be 2 headcodes the same, makes GSM-R easier

Ipswich: 0E00 Electric loco for c/sdgs 0T00 Diesel loco for Fuel road / Table Rd
TABL: loco for Fuel Road / Table Rd FLD: Loco for Field sdgs

Have seen (rarely tho!) TAX1 leave that one for you to decide :)

Last edited:

CyrusWuff

Established Member
I've seen NAKA for a failure and BRTH for stabled units, and SDGn or nnnn for shunt moves to particular sidings when flicking through before now.

Harbornite

Established Member
Hi all,

On websites such as OpenTrainTimes and Traksy (where you can see the headcodes or train describers) I've seen many messages from signallers, some of which made me laugh.

Some of which included christmas or holiday messages and I saw the other day "TARA" and "ABIT" in a blockade (I think the signaller was saying bye?)

Has anybody else seen messages put in by the signallers, I'm interested to see...

Thanks!

I also saw TARA ABIT whilst looking at the Stechford area on traksy a few months ago.

the_wanderer

There's a lot you see in regular use - ELEC at Waverley in the sidings (presumably the loco for the sleepers), LOCO (usually prior to it becoming a 1Z99), HEAT as someone else mentioned. NOGO often used. With the lineside fire at Doxey the other night closing all running lines through Stafford we had something like FIRE ALL* LINE BLKD across the Up Fast & Slow and Down Fast & Slows

Apologies if it's already been said, but when Didcot P.S. was decommissioned, I recall the feeder line berths we're set saying GOOD BYE* SEND CAKE for quite some time afterwards :E

TBSchenker

Seen a lot in Preston PSB describes is 1TRN, which is similar to WFFT in that it’s usually after a possession where the passage of the first train has to be specifically observed to make sure all track circuits are working correctly, and also to keep the previous controlled signal at danger until the first train has occupied and cleared the overlap of the next controlled signal it is approaching.

Domh245

Established Member
Oxford signal box is being decommissioned and moved to Didcot ROC/Thames Valley Signalling Centre.

_toommm_

Established Member
Today we had 'CREW' in lieu of the headcode for the 1742 Sheffield to Huddersfield as it waawaiting for train crew

nom de guerre

Some of the more unusual ones I've used during the past week:

LOVE (A COSS)
RJEN (Another COSS)
4DUD (Faulty 4-car unit)
BRUK (Faulty train)
SNAF (-"-)
WASH (Train being cleaned at a platform vice carriage sidings)
TAXI (Train ferrying cleaners between carriage sidings and platform)
-PNB (Having seen the Barnham ones - which I like - I may add a C, D or G in the first space next time.)

Favourite to date probably on closing day at my former box:

FARE WELL
1959 2016
OFF2 AROC

Jona26

I imagine a few forum members would have been excited to think the return of a certain service from Brighton to north of the border was imminent judging by what was there the other day...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180719-201952.png
    Screenshot_20180719-201952.png
    202.5 KB · Views: 300

Sunset route

Established Member
I imagine a few forum members would have been excited to think the return of a certain service from Brighton to north of the border was imminent judging by what was there the other day...

Well it did used to runround in the old top yard lol.

frediculous

At Sittingbourne today there is "TUES 625P". Not sure what that refers to, although there are some signalling problems at the moment due to lightning.

GB

Established Member
At Sittingbourne today there is "TUES 625P". Not sure what that refers to, although there are some signalling problems at the moment due to lightning.

Presumably 625P is a scrambled head code and the "TUES" implies it departs sometime today.

Status
Not open for further replies.