• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Depot Driver East Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

baz962

Established Member
I applied last time. The closing date was 22 November 2015. I had my first email saying I'd made the sift on 04 December 2015. Then I had an email on 16 December 2015 inviting me to stage 1 which was to be held on 11 January 2016.
Thanks mate I was enquiring if they ask applicant's if they have done the test's already and not forgetting this time it is a quick turnaround,the testing start's in ten day's apparently.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max287

Hi Baz. I have also passed the assessments, I just included that on my cv with the date that I passed

Trico382

I am just getting out of the talent pool having applied back in November 2015 for a start in January! I'm told those going through this round of recruitment won't have such a wait though. Also I think it is more like over 3000 applicants this time.
Progression for each stage was all done by email with me then a phone call for the final "you've passed welcome to the talent pool conversation".
Good luck to you all!

Biffo

I seem to remember having to write something at the beginning of stage one (EMT January 2016) asking if i had done the tests before or not. (or at least confirm i hadn't sat tests/failed tests in the last 6 months)

Also as EMT are enhanced you can fail with them in the enhanced category, but pass at a national standard. These passes could be used for companies that don't require enhanced passes, EG Northern.

Biffo

I am just getting out of the talent pool having applied back in November 2015 for a start in January! I'm told those going through this round of recruitment won't have such a wait though. Also I think it is more like over 3000 applicants this time.
Progression for each stage was all done by email with me then a phone call for the final "you've passed welcome to the talent pool conversation".
Good luck to you all!

By coming out of the talent pool do you mean going into a job or having to reapply?

baz962

Established Member
I seem to remember having to write something at the beginning of stage one (EMT January 2016) asking if i had done the tests before or not. (or at least confirm i hadn't sat tests/failed tests in the last 6 months)

Also as EMT are enhanced you can fail with them in the enhanced category, but pass at a national standard. These passes could be used for companies that don't require enhanced passes, EG Northern.
I have passed enhanced already mate.

Trico382

By coming out of the talent pool do you mean going into a job or having to reapply?

Apologies! I meant going in to the job as the course starts in January. Most of us on that course will have been in the talent pool just under 2 years! So, I'm looking forward to it!

TramWayne

Confident of getting through to the tests and I’m told they’re not actually very difficult. Either you can do it or you can’t.

Spoke to some people in the know over the last week or so and they informed me they were sifting as the applications came in and were hopeful of keeping to the timetable. The talent pool will be emptied by the course starting Jan 8th and the one immediately afterwards. They are apparently looking for upwards of 30. It's a talent pool so there is no fixed number. Normally apparently around 15-20 progress to mainline yearly (provided redundant freight drivers don't continue to jump the queue!) and the max length of time they want u in the pool is 2yrs as emt only consider OPC passes of having any merit for two years, so you can do the maths from that. Personally i'm not sure how one's concentration or coordination would noticeably deterorate in the space of two years, unless you spent every day on the soapbar or something.

baz962

Established Member
Spoke to some people in the know over the last week or so and they informed me they were sifting as the applications came in and were hopeful of keeping to the timetable. The talent pool will be emptied by the course starting Jan 8th and the one immediately afterwards. They are apparently looking for upwards of 30. It's a talent pool so there is no fixed number. Normally apparently around 15-20 progress to mainline yearly (provided redundant freight drivers don't continue to jump the queue!) and the max length of time they want u in the pool is 2yrs as emt only consider OPC passes of having any merit for two years, so you can do the maths from that. Personally i'm not sure how one's concentration or coordination would noticeably deterorate in the space of two years, unless you spent every day on the soapbar or something.

Did they actually state a timeframe for when we will hear or if successful start upto 2 year's or sooner mate.

stjimmy87

So I passed the tests in January 2016, would I need to do them again even though the assessment dates are this year ?

Did they actually state a timeframe for when we will hear or if successful start upto 2 year's or sooner mate.

You could be in the talent pool for up to 2 years but they do anticipate more movement than the last two years. Last year they had at least one freightliner conversion course for redundant freight drivers which slowed the normal rates of promotion from DD and therefore from the pool. As with many TOCs they have many drivers who started late 1980's who are coming up to retirement. Apparently there are 6 notts DD's starting mainline soon and 2 current vacancies at Derby on the dd link so that accounts for the course starting soon.

So I passed the tests in January 2016, would I need to do them again even though the assessment dates are this year ?

From what i hear if u don't get allocated a start date that's within 2 years of ur passes then u have to redo them. On the flipside i guess u might get put to the front of the queue for a startdate....

Last edited:

baz962

Established Member
You could be in the talent pool for up to 2 years but they do anticipate more movement than the last two years. Last year they had at least one freightliner conversion course for redundant freight drivers which slowed the normal rates of promotion from DD and therefore from the pool. As with many TOCs they have many drivers who started late 1980's who are coming up to retirement. Apparently there are 6 DD's starting mainline soon and 2 current vacancies at Derby on the dd link so that accounts for the course starting soon.

From what i hear if u don't get allocated a start date that's within 2 years of ur passes then u have to redo them. On the flipside i guess u might get put to the front of the queue for a startdate....

Thanks for that I'm guessing they gotta go some the first test days are a week Wednesday and I'm guessing they need to send practice material.

Raul_Duke

Confident of getting through to the tests and I’m told they’re not actually very difficult. Either you can do it or you can’t.

Definitely go in with that attitude

There’s currently (technically) one vacancy at Derby as two have just gone mainline and the last course put the numbers over by one.

But a substantial number of depot drivers are going to Freight before the end of the year and there will be more mainline courses throughout next year, so talent pool shouldn’t be full for long

Max287

I have heard that there are eight or nine current depot drivers at Derby going to Frieghtliner very soon, hence the sudden rush to recruit

Raul_Duke

I have heard that there are eight or nine current depot drivers at Derby going to Frieghtliner very soon, hence the sudden rush to recruit

Not quite that many. But enough all going at once to give a bit of Christmas overtime!

TramWayne

It doesn't matter if there are 10 jobs or 100, just be confident. I am certain I will get this. If you are right you will get in. Cheers. Wayne

hsharma25

Same here, does that mean assessments because i have already passed them to enhanced standard with another toc, guess it depends on what marks emt demand...

Max287

Me too :)

It was quite brief; I have also passed the assessments previously but it said they will be in touch with more info on the next stage soon. I hope the pass is considered good enough for their standards. Time will tell I suppose!

hsharma25

Hopefully because i don’t want to do the tests again, knowing my luck and the nature of those tests i probably won’t pass them again.
Although the job ad did say assessments were next week so if that is still the case they would have sent out practice material with this email
Guess we just gotta wait, probably get a better idea if anyone responds in this thread who has got assessment dates having not done them previously

Derbyrailway1

Ive not done the test previously and my email probably said the same thing as yours. Was just a generic 'wait for another email'

stjimmy87

Got this email....

"We have received your application for the role of Trainee Depot Driver and we are currently still working on our shortlist for the interview. We will be back in touch soon to let you know if we will be asking you to come and meet us.

Thank you for bearing with us!"

Says interview....or is it just a generic reply? Either way I am hopeful

Status
Not open for further replies.