• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - London Midland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

So, literally just got an e-mail explaining that I had not made the Bletchley position.

Hopefully it was just because I live nearly 70 miles away. Hoping for better luck with the Coventry application!

YoungBuck

Just got my email through for the Bletchley postion asking me to come for an assessment.

Congratulations for those who got it!

This is my first ever assessment so I need to start doing some research ASAP!!

Last edited:

GadgetMan

This is my first ever assessment so I need to start doing some research ASAP!!

Well done for getting through. However other than the info the TOC send you, there shouldn't be any need for further "research". Its an aptitude/experience test rather than a knowledge based one. Those that are suited to the role should pass with ease. Just ensure you attend having had plenty of rest and get there with time to spare dressed in smart and comfortable clothing.

Good luck.

YoungBuck

Well done for getting through. However other than the info the TOC send you, there shouldn't be any need for further "research". Its an aptitude/experience test rather than a knowledge based one. Those that are suited to the role should pass with ease. Just ensure you attend having had plenty of rest and get there with time to spare dressed in smart and comfortable clothing.

Good luck.

They haven't given me any information.. just a confirmation email for the slot I've booked. Well it can't hurt to get some practise at these aptitudes tests.

steviebuk

Good luck.

Well Done Youngbuck this was the reply I received!!

Trainee Train Driver - Bletchley

Thank you for your application for the above vacancy.

Following careful consideration, we regret to inform you that on this occasion we will not be progressing your application further. Your application went through a robust sifting process carried out by 2 different assessors. Please note that we are unable to give individual feedback at this stage of the process.

Thank you for your interest in London Midland and we wish you success in your future career.

Yours sincerely

Recruitment Team
London Midland

I thought I had submitted a strong application along with having passed an assessment centre for another TOC!

YoungBuck

Do you know what tests you will be doing though?

Just from a quick look on the Internet I think there will be a Bourdon/concentration test. Maybe a mechanical interpretation test, not sure what else to be honest. I need to have a proper sit down and look into it.

Congratulations!

Youngbuck. You mind sharing how far from Bletchley you are? Here's me hoping its just that I'm quite a long way outside of the 30 mile radius for Bletchley.

westbrom

I've applied before, passed first days assessments to be told no longer recruiting externally ,then to be told I no longer met the criteria for this role 12 months on, but have still applied again ??????
Just had the thanks for applying email so far, fingers crossed!

That accent works wonders!

On a serious note, I honestly thought mine was a strong application. I'm 25, my first job was working with heavy plant excavators, I was then an apprentice in electronic engineering for BAE Systems, I've spent 6 years as an Electromagnetic Compatiblity engineer, and was in the TA Royal Engineers for a couple years (EOD search and disposal). Went grammar school and got mostly As and Bs too...

Maybe I wrote too much, or not enough of the right stuff. I don't know! If its an automated sift I guess it doesn't really understand what it is and is just looking for key words.

If anybody out there could take a look at my application and give some positive feedback please let me know! I will but you a virtual pint (after your shift :) )

TDK

Established Member
455driver, sorry for my ignorance, I am new to TOC abbreviations.
What would the WPB stand for?
I was wondering if I would be at a disadvantage by not applying for more than one depot? I am a strong believer in not following application descriptions (Only apply for one depot as an example), could have a negative effect on my application.

Regards

You need to change your forum name
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've always thought that a commitment to relocate should be seen as a positive on an application, shows the extent to which one will go for the role.

Why would a TOC take an applicant with an equal rating that needs to relocate over someone living close by? In reality there is a policy in this order for suitability considering location, the list below is in order of preference:-

1. Able to walk to work
2. Able to cycle to work
3. Able to motor bike to work
4. Able to drive to work
5. Relocate
6. Taxi or public transport only

On a serious note, I honestly thought mine was a strong application. I'm 25, my first job was working with heavy plant excavators, I was then an apprentice in electronic engineering for BAE Systems, I've spent 6 years as an Electromagnetic Compatiblity engineer, and was in the TA Royal Engineers for a couple years (EOD search and disposal). Went grammar school and got mostly As and Bs too...

Maybe I wrote too much, or not enough of the right stuff. I don't know! If its an automated sift I guess it doesn't really understand what it is and is just looking for key words.

If anybody out there could take a look at my application and give some positive feedback please let me know! I will but you a virtual pint (after your shift :) )

Copy and paste it in a PM to me and I will look over it for you

yerman164

Why would a TOC take an applicant with an equal rating that needs to relocate over someone living close by? In reality there is a policy in this order for suitability considering location, the list below is in order of preference:-

1. Able to walk to work
2. Able to cycle to work
3. Able to motor bike to work
4. Able to drive to work
5. Relocate
6. Taxi or public transport only

What level of detail can TOC's see regarding the results of the train driver tests a candidate has taken? For instance if you have already passed and are applying to another TOC, when they check your results on the OPC database do they just see either a pass or enhanced pass or do they see actual test scores?

Also, you mention about the order of preference for location, which makes sense. However, at the application stage, if you have someone who has previously taken the tests and achieved high scores and could relocate straight away, would they have a higher chance to progress than someone who lived locally and looks good on paper, but hasn't taken the tests yet?

Davside84

I was also unsuccessful! Congratulations YoungBuck!

I wasn't holding my breath for the Bletchley position, I am 5 miles outside of their catchment area and also do not hold a mechanical/engineering qualification. Fingers crossed for Leamington Spa (which only asked that you were mechanically competent rather than holding actual qualifications...).

Could I just ask why they would require a mechanical/engineering qualification for a driver position? Surely the last thing they want in the event of a breakdown is the driver jumping out of the cab and 'giving it a bash'? Is it more to do with ensuring someone has the ability to carry out safety checks to the highest standard before taking the train out?

Going back to the application, I really felt once you've filled out the majority of the usual info, that those last 5 questions were the deal breaker. I ended up spending 2+ hours just on that section to ensure that I'd answered exactly what they were asking. I chopped, changed, deleted, rewrote so many times, it was driving me mad by the end as they seem so simple on the surface!!

plastictaffy

So those of you that have had e-mails telling you that you've been successful, have you been given dates to go to assessments, or have you had to choose which date you go, via the Recruitment website??

Those of you that applied externally, how long ago did you apply?? Was this the position that went up on the HR page in early August?
PotentialTrain - I quite agree with TDK. HR departments have been know to look at these pages to see what's being said. Your forum name could be construed as being a bit cocky.

TDK

Established Member
What level of detail can TOC's see regarding the results of the train driver tests a candidate has taken? For instance if you have already passed and are applying to another TOC, when they check your results on the OPC database do they just see either a pass or enhanced pass or do they see actual test scores?

Also, you mention about the order of preference for location, which makes sense. However, at the application stage, if you have someone who has previously taken the tests and achieved high scores and could relocate straight away, would they have a higher chance to progress than someone who lived locally and looks good on paper, but hasn't taken the tests yet?

TOC's can ask for any detail they need from previous results.

When there is a recruitment drive by a TOC they will take into account candidates who have passed the tests but will always have new candidates take the tests and if they pass they will have preference over people who need to relocate. Only if you have excellent results much better than others then the candidate who needs to relocate will get the job. If there are candidates with similar results then the location is a huge factor.
I was also unsuccessful! Congratulations YoungBuck!

I wasn't holding my breath for the Bletchley position, I am 5 miles outside of their catchment area and also do not hold a mechanical/engineering qualification. Fingers crossed for Leamington Spa (which only asked that you were mechanically competent rather than holding actual qualifications...).

Could I just ask why they would require a mechanical/engineering qualification for a driver position? Surely the last thing they want in the event of a breakdown is the driver jumping out of the cab and 'giving it a bash'? Is it more to do with ensuring someone has the ability to carry out safety checks to the highest standard before taking the train out?

Going back to the application, I really felt once you've filled out the majority of the usual info, that those last 5 questions were the deal breaker. I ended up spending 2+ hours just on that section to ensure that I'd answered exactly what they were asking. I chopped, changed, deleted, rewrote so many times, it was driving me mad by the end as they seem so simple on the surface!!

You do not only need to prep a unit for service but you need to be able to decipher any faults whilst the train is in service and historically candidates with a mechanical background or mechanical experience are far better at this then candidates without the knowledge.

Boxing123

Hi,

I have been successful at the application stage. Have booked my interview at Bletchley. Could anyone give me any advice on the interview. I'm not sure whether it's the structured interview or the driver manager interview? Any help appreciated

yerman164

TOC's can ask for any detail they need from previous results.

When there is a recruitment drive by a TOC they will take into account candidates who have passed the tests but will always have new candidates take the tests and if they pass they will have preference over people who need to relocate. Only if you have excellent results much better than others then the candidate who needs to relocate will get the job. If there are candidates with similar results then the location is a huge factor.

Thanks, is it possible for candidates to obtain detailed results from the OPC for their own tests? I would be curious to know my detailed results as it may give me an idea of how I may compare to other candidates. All I know is that I have an enhanced pass in each test, but I don't know what that means. Is an enhanced pass over 70%, 80%, 90%?

YoungBuck

Hi,

I have been successful at the application stage. Have booked my interview at Bletchley. Could anyone give me any advice on the interview. I'm not sure whether it's the structured interview or the driver manager interview? Any help appreciated

When you log on to the website it asks you to book an appointment with the assessments centre, so I think the first stage is completing the aptitude tests then if you're successful an interview will follow.

Thanks, is it possible for candidates to obtain detailed results from the OPC for their own tests? I would be curious to know my detailed results as it may give me an idea of how I may compare to other candidates. All I know is that I have an enhanced pass in each test, but I don't know what that means. Is an enhanced pass over 70%, 80%, 90%?

When and where did you take the tests?

red2005

not from what i gather!.....in fact the first time i ever saw my results was when i was going through my file with my manager on my pass out!

I'd of thought every toc may have a different standard and a different idea on what a borderline or enhanced pass actually is........for example a borderline pass with first tpe may be an enhanced pass with Northern.

it's more about the content than qualifications/experience mate.......on our intake qualified pilot's didn't make it through the paper sift.......if you don't have the "Buzz" words/phrases in your application the chances are it will not get through no matter what qualifications you have mate. For example so many people are binned for drivers jobs because they've not mentioned the customer service element of the role in their application.

It's important that things such as flexibility, punctuality, comfortable with shifts, good sickness records, customer service, comfortable in a uniform, unsociable hours, comfy in a management structure, remaining calm under pressure, fault finding, beyond the call of duty, diversity, safety, rules and regulations and promoting the company within a positive light all get a mention somewhere otherwise it's going to be difficult to get through.

Last edited:

EF25

Did anyone apply for the Worcester trainee job? and are there any other female applicants?

Boxing123

When you log on to the website it asks you to book an appointment with the assessments centre, so I think the first stage is completing the aptitude tests then if you're successful an interview will follow.

Thanks for the reply.

Dear Xxxxxx

Trainee Train Driver - Bletchley

Further to your application for employment for the above vacancy, we would like to invite you to attend an interview.

Please visit our careers portal - https://www.londonmidlandcareers.com, and login with your email address and password.

Once you have logged in, please schedule your interview by using our 'Assessment Scheduling' tool. You can do this by visiting the 'Assessment Schedule' where you will be directed to a list of available interview times slots and can confirm your attendance by selecting the time slot most suitable for you

This was the email I received. I booked the interview and it is a one hour slot. I also have a confirmation email stating that the interview is booked. If it was the assessment wouldn't they give you further info on the tests etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.