• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver (talent pool) GWR July 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max287

I haven't heard anything yet either. I don't suppose they're in much of a hurry with the vacancies being a little further in the future

Nothing here, in no rush, I failed on the WAFV last time (itchy trigger finger, think it was nerves tbh) and would suggest the longer I have to practice the better!

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Don't expect to hear anything for a while. The 2018/2019 Bristol talent pool was at the bottom of the priority list. Can't see this being any different.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Following the questions regarding salary - it is £24,141 as per the Drivers Handbook, that was however last amended in 2014 so I expect the rate is slightly higher now following three years of annual pay increases

ZFE95

Just received an email inviting me to an online assessment, this wouldn't be the same online assessment I took during the application process, surely?

Lasbrisas

Just received an email inviting me to an online assessment, this wouldn't be the same online assessment I took during the application process, surely?

Me to, would be good to know what it is in advance so I can prepare for it.

Lasbrisas

Just had a quick look, it's this - IBM - GWR - Matching - Alphanumeric
Trainee Train Driver (talent pool) (5530)

So a nice alphanumeric test, time to brush up on your maths !

Walsh87

Just had a quick look, it's this - IBM - GWR - Matching - Alphanumeric
Trainee Train Driver (talent pool) (5530)

So a nice alphanumeric test, time to brush up on your maths !

Does anyone know much about the test or completed already? Got the invite to complete today

Max287

It isn't difficult like Taff said, just read the instructions and it's clear what to do. I made a mistake on mine though!!! I really hope they allow for one mistake! ??????

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Is it timed or can you just complete it withing the 48 hours.

It's not timed, accuracy is key. But if you can complete it quickly and accurately, that'll be grand.
Got a phone interview invite a day or so later

Lasbrisas

It's not timed, accuracy is key. But if you can complete it quickly and accurately, that'll be grand.
Got a phone interview invite a day or so later

Thanks for the info, so have you had your phone interview yet, what was that like as I have never heard of that before relating to the rail industry.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Thanks for the info, so have you had your phone interview yet, what was that like as I have never heard of that before relating to the rail industry.

Got it next week - it's done by an outside agency. They're call centre robots - they are given a list of things you're supposed to say and they tick you yes or no, pass or fail.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I did the Alphanumeric test this morning, nothing to worry about.

Like I said in a previous post, just read the instructions! Not there to catch you out.

Must stress in case any of you worry about timelines going forward, I'm internal. And I've applied to Bristol

MJG3

Did everyone get the opportunity to the 2 online tests? The first one being situational judgement and then the alphanumeric? Think the time it took to do the test must be important?

Lasbrisas

Did everyone get the opportunity to the 2 online tests? The first one being situational judgement and then the alphanumeric? Think the time it took to do the test must be important?

I have done both, you could be right on the time taken to do it, especially on the second one, which I kind of took my time a bit to make sure I got it right, time will tell if I or everyone else did it right.

Termak

Was thinking the same as well..took me 8 minutes to complete..we'll see.

MJG3

Took me 13 mins! :shock: I saw someone in the thread say they have a telephone interview, has anyone else got to this stage?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Had my telephone interview yesterday. Took about 20-25mins, think about your motivation for applying to the role. It's a question they've asked everyone in t'office who's had it.

Pay attention to the attachment you get with the email invite, they WILL ask about one of the GWR core values.

JonnyH

Just wondering if anybody who did the online alphanumerical test last weekend has heard anything back yet?

MJG3

I completed the alphanumerical last week and haven't heard anything as of yet. I was under the impression that some have had a phone interview following the alphanumerical test?

ZFE95

Just wondering if anybody who did the online alphanumerical test last weekend has heard anything back yet?

Thank you for your application for the role of Trainee Train Driver (talent pool), reference 5530 with Great Western Railway. We really appreciate the time you have taken and commitment to completing our online application process.

Unfortunately on this occasion you have not been successful. That doesn't mean you can't apply for another role within Great Western Railway although you'll need to wait six months before applying for the same or similar role again.

Although we can't provide specific feedback at this stage, we do wish you well in the future and thank you again for your interest.

Kind regards,

FirstGroup Resourcing

:(

Lasbrisas

Thank you for your application for the role of Trainee Train Driver (talent pool), reference 5530 with Great Western Railway. We really appreciate the time you have taken and commitment to completing our online application process.

Unfortunately on this occasion you have not been successful. That doesn't mean you can't apply for another role within Great Western Railway although you'll need to wait six months before applying for the same or similar role again.

Although we can't provide specific feedback at this stage, we do wish you well in the future and thank you again for your interest.

Kind regards,

FirstGroup Resourcing

:(

Sorry to hear that, at what stage did you get this, after the alphanumerical test and how long after ?

RedZed

I just got the email too.

This actually becoming quite fun to see how many TOC's I can apply for and not get the job.

Just shows how fickle the railway is and it's not the even playing field that they make out it is

In order of applications:

London Midland - Didn't pass paper sift.
DB Schenker - Passed Assessment but recruitment stopped due to business restructuring.
GTR - Passed EVERYTHING and dumped in a talent pool and left to rot for last two years with no sign of starting a course, ever.
Chiltern - Went straight to DMI and failed (I don't think anyone actually passed that one).
GWR - Did that online SJT and Alphanumeric tests and received email that I was unsuccessful. FWIW I had no intention of relocating to Reading (not that I got the opportunity to be asked). I just wanted to see how far I could get based on the yardstick of having passed everything with GTR.

baz962

Established Member
I just got the email too.

This actually becoming quite fun to see how many TOC's I can apply for and not get the job.

Just shows how fickle the railway is and it's not the even playing field that they make out it is

In order of applications:

London Midland - Didn't pass paper sift.
DB Schenker - Passed Assessment but recruitment stopped due to business restructuring.
GTR - Passed EVERYTHING and dumped in a talent pool and left to rot for last two years with no sign of starting a course, ever.
Chiltern - Went straight to DMI and failed (I don't think anyone actually passed that one).
GWR - Did that online SJT and Alphanumeric tests and received email that I was unsuccessful. FWIW I had no intention of relocating to Reading (not that I got the opportunity to be asked). I just wanted to see how far I could get based on the yardstick of having passed everything with GTR.

That's mad but why do you not think it's a level playing field out of interest. I did my dmi with gtr yesterday and I am waiting to hear it is the last part for me except medical and the two gent's told me they are taking on 200 more with courses starting this year sometime and next. Maybe worth chasing them up mate

Status
Not open for further replies.