• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transfer of LNER HST 125s to East Midlands Railway (EMR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I was on a buffer set yesterday - had plugs in standard??
yes, def has them in the coach (D?) that was once 1st class carriage that I always sit in - not looked in the other std carriages as why sit in them when an ex 1st class unreservable one is on offer as it were. Must look next time

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DDB

Particularly as they'll be replaced by much shorter trains. That will take some explaining.
If people have a seat they won't care if there used to be extra empty carriages or that they have a seat because other trains have been introduced to serve the Luton Airport demand.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If people have a seat they won't care if there used to be extra empty carriages or that they have a seat because other trains have been introduced to serve the Luton Airport demand.

When I get HST's, they are often very busy and there aren't many getting on/off at Luton airport.

cactustwirly

Established Member

But there won't be empty carriages, the HSTs don't serve Luton Airport very often, so when a 4 car 222 is used to replace an 8 car HST, I imagine it will be so full that people will be left behind! Especially with the woeful seating capacity the 222s have in standard.

However if they used a double 222, and reduced the amount of first class, then I don't see a huge issue.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
On the assumption until recently that the native MML sets were staying around the windows have been replaced on the whole fleet of Porterbrook mk3s with the laminated version over the last 18 months or so.

The Angel ones have, too, with only a slightly longer life expectancy.

It was explained why above - low risk of fire, better containment, overall safer than toughened.
The very safety conscious-passenger may like to take into account that the modern 222 fleet retains toughened glass and hammers (presumably, as a fuel tank + source of ignition is under every coach) and could be viewed logically as less safe than an HST in this respect.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Based on a quick comparison between which vehicles have been granted a derogation and some pictures on flickr, it seems that it is coach G that will be removed, which seems surprising as that has 4 (compliant!) priority seats in it, whilst coach C which is remaining in the formations doesn't!

I once travelled on an LNER HST that was short formed; not unusual, but on this occasion the TM explained to passengers that the Wi Fi and, possibly (can't remember for sure) the reservation system wasn't working because the equipment to operate it was in the missing coach. Unfortunately, I can't remember which coach but, if it's C, that would explain it. Maybe someone knows?

tricky18jan

Will they vp185’s still be around on the 13th? Was planning a trip to Bedford that day try and catch my last few sets needed

cactustwirly

Established Member
Will they vp185’s still be around on the 13th? Was planning a trip to Bedford that day try and catch my last few sets needed

Of this month, yes only 2 sets will be in service then.
But the daytime services skip Bedford?

WesternLancer

Established Member
EMR flyers in ticket office today extolling the virtues of their ex LNER HSTs: "Introducing our red intercity trains"

Aictos

Established Member
Is a ex LNER set out today then? Just I think I might have seen one but I’m not totally sure if I was imagining it or not?

LowLevel

Established Member
Is a ex LNER set out today then? Just I think I might have seen one but I’m not totally sure if I was imagining it or not?

Just one buffet car in an EMT set as a temporary replacement for one that is out of exam miles.

Tracked

Established Member
It was on 1C15 LDS-STP this morning, I was on it, due to an issue with the rear power car it was missing out stops after Leicester

LowLevel

Established Member
May I ask if this is the previous spare 40751 or one of the new arrivals?

It is 40751 - apparently it was quite literally given a temporary reprisal when it was due to be hauled off for scrap. 40728? (I think) is out of miles for an exam I assume it won't be getting and the set ran without a buffet for a few days last week. A fairly novel solution.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
It is 40751 - apparently it was quite literally given a temporary reprisal when it was due to be hauled off for scrap. 40728? (I think) is out of miles for an exam I assume it won't be getting and the set ran without a buffet for a few days last week. A fairly novel solution.

Thanks for that. Rather frustratingly for me, when I travelled in NL65 it was in this car so I never did travel on 40805. 40751 seems to lead a charmed life - it was in an EM set last summer possibly connected with the set damaged in the Corby do. (after a complete LNER set was borrowed - I think 40751 was in that set and just stayed when the rest returned)

Swimbar

No they're being put through a pre entry exam at Neville Hill before entry into service.
Apparently the LNER sets were on a different maintenance regime, than the EMR sets, so they are in the process of being brought up to EMR's balanced regime.

Moves from Gascoigne Wood to Barrow Hill for underside cleaning started today!

Steddenm

They'll be a lot of LNER-livered vehicles about across the network soon...

Mk4+91+DVT for LNER
HST sets for EMR
Mk4+DVT (with DB/GC 90) on GC

43 302

Established Member
They'll be a lot of LNER-livered vehicles about across the network soon...

Mk4+91+DVT for LNER
HST sets for EMR
Mk4+DVT (with DB/GC 90) on GC
And Mk4s for TfW. The DVT has a new livery but the coaches don't.

Have any of the EMR power cars or mk3 sets been scrapped yet, if not, are they all at Neville Hill if not in service ?

Domh245

Established Member
All powercars and mk3 sets are still in use AIUI, with the exception of one TRFB that has run out of miles and been replaced by an ex-LNER vehicle already.

Swimbar

All powercars and mk3 sets are still in use AIUI, with the exception of one TRFB that has run out of miles and been replaced by an ex-LNER vehicle already.

40751 has been EMR based at NL for some years now and is not taken from one of the exLNER sets

cactustwirly

Established Member
Thanks for that. Rather frustratingly for me, when I travelled in NL65 it was in this car so I never did travel on 40805. 40751 seems to lead a charmed life - it was in an EM set last summer possibly connected with the set damaged in the Corby do. (after a complete LNER set was borrowed - I think 40751 was in that set and just stayed when the rest returned)

Not quite, 40751 was originally with EMT, it was with set NL65, when that went over to VTEC. 40751 was repainted an refurbished like the rest of NL65, but was swapped back to EMT after 40805 had been acquired and refurbished.

Status
Not open for further replies.