• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Express decide not to use MK3's on limited services

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnsf734

I saw the stock today in the Arriva Traincare depot at Crewe. It is currently in 2 separate sections.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianigsy

I think with that you'd kill much of the market for rail travel to the airport, the average person who's travelling once or twice a year really wouldn't want to change at all if possible, they've likely already got enough problems on their mine when going away. I know people going from Dewsbury don't want to change at Huddersfield to get an airport service, and that's normally same platform, they'd rather get a taxi to Huddersfield.

I doubt there's a taxi firm in West Yorkshire who won't quote you for a Manchester Airport drop off and pick up on return. Even at £100+ it bears comparison with rail for a door to door service if you're taking a family to Florida.

BMIFlyer

Just to update:

The Mark 3 coaches should enter passenger service in late May, running Monday to Friday only between Scarborough and Liverpool.

On the off chance that you see them on that route before then, they will be crew training runs and NOT for passengers.

Trains will be top and tailed with 4 coaches on each train.

Allwinter_Kit

I know it is for so many, many reasons, but 4 carriages is a bit of a shame - would be great if they were full length "proper" trains as "capacity boosters" for the core.

That said, 4 Mk3s still (I imagine!) take more than a 185...

Alan2603

Will one (or part of one) of the carriages be First Class? Will the catering provision be the same?

Many thanks.

driver9000

Established Member
I know it is for so many, many reasons, but 4 carriages is a bit of a shame - would be great if they were full length "proper" trains as "capacity boosters" for the core.

2+4 simulates the length of a mk5A rake plus 2 coaches will be left at Crewe for static training.

Iskra

Established Member

Remember as well as the immediate capacity increase, it will free up 2x185's to strengthen other services. So 4 diagrams in total could be strengthened, which could provide a significant increase.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Just to update:

The Mark 3 coaches should enter passenger service in late May, running Monday to Friday only between Scarborough and Liverpool.

On the off chance that you see them on that route before then, they will be crew training runs and NOT for passengers.

If that is true I hope someone has told Tony Miles who was happily being quite aggressive with people on facebook accusing them of 'wibble' when one person suggested that they were using them as there is no other diesel stock available.

BMIFlyer

If that is true I hope someone has told Tony Miles who was happily being quite aggressive with people on facebook accusing them of 'wibble' when one person suggested that they were using them as there is no other diesel stock available.

I’ve seen both of the proposed class 68 diagrams that commence in May so I can assure everyone that they are going to happen.

darylyates17

Just to update:

Are the Scarborough services gonna stop at St Helens or is it the Newcastles as I hope the 68s will I cant wait to hear them thrash past my house

sprinterguy

Established Member
18 or 24 first class and approx. 216 standard class seats on a mark 3 rake (Assuming that the RFMs provide the first class accommodation, and I assume that one rake will have to use a declassified first class vehicle as standard accommodation?), versus 15 first and 154 standard (plus 12 tip-up) on a class 185.

D6975

Established Member
Are the Scarborough services gonna stop at St Helens or is it the Newcastles as I hope the 68s will I cant wait to hear them thrash past my house

At the moment the Scarboroughs are pencilled in to stop at Lea Green after the timetable change.

darylyates17

At the moment the Scarboroughs are pencilled in to stop at Lea Green after the timetable change.

Lea Green will do thats another local station of mine just need to remember to go there instead of Junction for the fast TPE services I heard they were on about stopping there instead of Junction didn't think they actually would though

greyman42

Established Member
Crewe

TPE won’t stop at SHJ.

It’s either Lea Green or Newton LW from May depending on the destination of the train.
What is the thinking in TPE using Newton and Lea Green? Are they areas of expanding populations or business?

notlob.divad

Established Member
What is the thinking in TPE using Newton and Lea Green? Are they areas of expanding populations or business?
TPE calls at Newton and originally St Helens Junction where to replace the calls by the northern semi-fast Liverpool <=> Manchester Airport.

In consultation with Merseytravel and St. Helens Council TPE have agreed to switch the Junction call to Lea Green, due to the better availability of parking, road access and public transport potential at Lea Green station.

The downside to this is the inadequacy of the waiting facilities at Lea Green which I hope will be rectified in the future.

cj_1985

Mk3s to keep the VTWC livery?

Not seen anything to confirm or deny.
But ISTR seeing a pic of one of the pretendolino carriages at crewe looking like they were being masked for repainting or vinyling, probably on Flickr

Ianigsy

Newton has been the regular alternative stop when TPE have been unable to use the Warrington route for several years now - same platform interchange with the North Wales service for Warrington passengers.

Some of the MK3 stock was out on test today with very colourful 68019 in the TPE livery.

driver_m

Established Member
You'll be seeing this between Crewe and Lime St via Runcorn. They're route learning that way with this temporary stock.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Having looked at it on flickr, it does look like a very colourful rake, especially with the snow!

68019 5Z08 Preston by British Rail 1980s and 1990s, on Flickr

The combination of colours of the loco and rake are rather a distraction, but I still love the 68's livery, it looks really smart. Can't wait for these to start in passenger service for a trip over the hills.

Status
Not open for further replies.