• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Triva: Old franchise holder's merchandise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
There is a very new 12 car stop marker on the up DOO monitor post at Northfleet with NSE stripes below it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheNewNo2

Wouldnt have thought many would wish to remember Tube Lines but glad in a nostalgic way that it lives on!

Why not? It was the Metronet contract that collapsed, the Tube Lines one worked fine. I never actually worked for Tube Lines - I applied for a job there, but by the time I arrived on my first day it had morphed into APJNP.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Not sure if this example counts or not. If not, please ignore this post...

Alexandria still had the old orange Strathclyde Transport branding on both sides of one of it's bridges (and on a Park & Ride sign) back in January:
16272849655_4c94e7372c_z.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129464815@N05/16272849655/

16271830282_f3435f5aba_z.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129464815@N05/16271830282/

16247314656_c959478795_z.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129464815@N05/16247314656/

Does anybody know if this lot are still in situ?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Not passed through in ages but on a similar note I'm sure Blantyre's booking office is (was?) still decorated in Strathclyde orange. Could have gone with the Saltire rebranding though.

causton

Established Member
Does the awful black marker pen job to take the First logo off some of the Scotrail safety notices count? ;)

The refund forms we have at work are still from BR days dated 1994 - the fact they keep finding new stacks of them to give out worries me as to how many they might have stored away somewhere!

Oh also, a lot of the stuff in LM stations is still in Silverlink blue down this end of the line, blue/green stripes on Leighton Buzzard station building, car stop markers, booking office windows and blinds etc... ;)

DaleCooper

Established Member
Has anyone mentioned this before? Merchandise is something that is sold not just part of the uniform or work equipment.

BurtonM

The double arrow totem at Beckenham Junction seems to be a reproduction judging by it's cleanliness: if I remember right it has NSE stripes on it...

speaking of NSE, the stripe logos embedded in the floor on the W&C line from when it was part of National Rail!

PERTIS machines!

Last edited:

billio

One thing I would have like to have acquired is a set of those lovely wine glasses used in the GNER first class. The ones with the corporate badge etched on the side. They all seemed to magically disappear at the end of the franchise.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
One thing I would have like to have acquired is a set of those lovely wine glasses used in the GNER first class. The ones with the corporate badge etched on the side. They all seemed to magically disappear at the end of the franchise.

There is one on sale on Ebay for £3 (£6 including postage) here.

backontrack

Established Member
There was a whiteboard some time ago at one of the Canterbury stations with 'South Eastern Trains' in the corner.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
If you think the railways are bad for this, you should see the assortment of attire worn by Yorkshire Tiger drivers at the Huddersfield depot... There's everything from Centrebus/Huddersfield Bus Company to Stagecoach (who only operated the depot for a short time) to Yorkshire Traction, and I've even seen a driver with a National Bus Company jacket!

brompton rail

Well, of course there is still a North Eastern Railway tile map at York station (& I think also at Hull Paragon). They ended in 1923!

I hope Manchester Victoria still has its Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway map and other historical artefacts.

Heden Bridge has signage from pre BR days too.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Quite a few stations around Greater Manchester/Lancashire still are adourned in the very short-lived "Network NorthWest" branding of the early 1990s (pre-North West Regional Railways)

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Stoke Newington still have a "Do not alight here" board in Network South East colours.

It has survived the LO rebranding too!

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Stoke Newington still have a "Do not alight here" board in Network South East colours.

It has survived the LO rebranding too!
I know that sign! It might be Network Rail's responsibility these days as it's off the end of the platform "proper".

umontu

There's still station signs from RR days all along the fylde coast.

Kirkham's road sign still has Network North West signage, it was taken down earlier in this year and put back up after some bridge work.

blotred

Not quite a franchise, but Waterloo's LU Waterloo and City line platforms still had some NSE logos on the platform floor last time I was there.

Established Member
At least one of Cambridge's luggage trolleys still has a purple WAGN logo on it. Also saw the other week, a random bloke in a supermarket wearing a ONE jacket!

t0ffeeman

There used to be a portable coolant tank with the Sprinter logo on at Peterboro Plat 5

D6975

Established Member
The last time I was at Stevenage, I spotted a luggage trolley hiding that said "Property of British Rail. If found, return to Paddington station."

No idea how that got there!

King's Cross and Euston ones used to be commonplace in the Scottish Highlands at major stations like Inverness and Aberdeen.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There are loads of those around. Scarborough has one, Pickering as well.

And Middlesbrough. And there's one in the NRM York too.

And there's the L&YR tile map high on the wall by the booking office at Manchester Victoria.

Last edited:

redbutton

There are some "Property of Railtrack" fire extinguishers at London Victoria.

I wouldn't trust them to be fit for purpose.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
There was an IC Swallow on a door at Newport station a few years back, may still even be there.

najaB

Veteran Member
Do items such as 'BR' engraved in the metal strip at the top of each door droplight on an HST count?
Not really - it wouldn't really be feasible for the new operator to go around removing them, unlike giving staff new jackets/bags/etc. But a good bit of nostalgia none the less.

Status
Not open for further replies.