• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Place names that you're not sure how to pronounce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
You are correct Wirral did have L (Liverpool) post codes and they were changed for the reasons you suggested. It was quite a local news story at the time.

Nothing to do with people wanting their codes changed and all to do with the Post Office saving money. They changed the main sorting office for the Wirral from Liverpool to Chester partly to save on Mersey Tunnel fees.

Stampy

Nothing to do with people wanting their codes changed and all to do with the Post Office saving money. They changed the main sorting office for the Wirral from Liverpool to Chester partly to save on Mersey Tunnel fees.

Indeed, most of the Wirral area is now done from the Mail Centre at Warrington now - from memory, CW, L, WA and WN codes.

I think Chester now only does it’s own stuff (CH) and LL codes.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Indeed, most of the Wirral area is now done from the Mail Centre at Warrington now - from memory, CW, L, WA and WN codes.

I think Chester now only does it’s own stuff (CH) and LL codes.

Warrington as mentioned deals with L, WA, WN, and CW codes.

Chester deals with CH, LL, and SY since the mail centre at Shrewsbury closed a few years ago.

Shrewsbury used to deal with SY, TF, and LD codes. TF went to Wolverhampton, and LD went to Cardiff, which also deals with CF and NP.

Getting back on topic, although not necessarily the placename but the name of the station, I have head Bradford Forster Square both being pronounced as Fore-ster and Foster by the automated announcements.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
What about Wombwell
Pronounce Wom well
Neil

Surely its Womb-well (or Woom-well if you prefer).

Getting back on topic, although not necessarily the placename but the name of the station, I have head Bradford Forster Square both being pronounced as Fore-ster and Foster by the automated announcements.

Definitely Foster.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Why so? I've always said (and heard it said) Forster. They are two distinct surnames and if I was called the one I'd hate to be addressed by the other.

We're talking about a place name though, and they often seem to follow different rules to personal names.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Why so? I've always said (and heard it said) Forster. They are two distinct surnames and if I was called the one I'd hate to be addressed by the other.

Nothing other than observation. Every local I have spoken to has been absolutely adamant that its Foster.

DavidGrain

Established Member
Nothing other than observation. Every local I have spoken to has been absolutely adamant that its Foster.

It is named after William Edward Forster, a Victorian MP and philanthropist, and nothing in Wikipedia gives any indication that the first 'r' in his name was silent. Having said that, it was his name and he could pronounce it any way he liked

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It is named after William Edward Forster, a Victorian MP and philanthropist, and nothing in Wikipedia gives any indication that the first 'r' in his name was silent. Having said that, it was his name and he could pronounce it any way he liked

An old thread on this forum gives Foster (no medial r sound) for Forster Square, but I can't find any official pronunciation for it.

exile

Established Member
I have been told that people who are natives of Greenwich pronounce it "Green-ich" rather than "Gren-ich" but that may be an urban myth.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
I have been told that people who are natives of Greenwich pronounce it "Green-ich" rather than "Gren-ich" but that may be an urban myth.

I've always thought the classic London pronunciation is 'Grinnidge'; that's how I say it.

urbophile

Established Member
Only Scots and other rhotic speakers would pronounce the 'r', but in standard English it affects the pronunciation of the vowel sound. I'd be surprised if Mr (Sir William?) Forster pronounced it to rhyme with Gloucester. That was the other fella.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Forster Square is a place named after a person. Why should the pronunciation of one differ from the other?

Sorry I wasn't very clear was I? I think the point I meant to make was that places named after people don't always have the same pronunciations. Mount Everest v Sir George Everest for example.

Millisle

My friend from Bradford laughed her head off when I as typical in Scots accent pronounced the first 'r' in Forster.
Rather like my Mancunian friend when I tried Chorlton, in fact.

AY1975

Established Member
I used to think Burntisland was "Burnt-is-land" (with the "s" pronounced), but according to Wikipedia it's "Burnt island" (as if it were two words).

Esker-pades

Established Member
So many Welsh places:
Dolwyddelan (Dol-oui-the-lan?)
Betws-y-Coed (Betoos?)
Blaenau Ffestiniog (Blai-now?)
Dyffryn Ardudwy (Diff-rin Are-dud-ooi?)
Llandanwg (Llan-dan-oog?)
Llandecwyn (Llan-deck-oo-in?)

Parallel

Established Member
So many Welsh places:
Dolwyddelan (Dol-oui-the-lan?)
Betws-y-Coed (Betoos?)
Blaenau Ffestiniog (Blai-now?)
Dyffryn Ardudwy (Diff-rin Are-dud-ooi?)
Llandanwg (Llan-dan-oog?)
Llandecwyn (Llan-deck-oo-in?)

I believe:
Dolwyddelan = Dol-oui-thelan
Betws-y-coed = Betoos-uh-coid
Blaenau = Blay-nigh
Dyffryn Ardudwy = Duffrin Ar-did-wee
Llandanwg = Hlan-dan-oog
Llandecwyn = Hlan-dec-ouin

Though may be a little bit out (I’m not a Welsh speaker)

Status
Not open for further replies.