• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Station that can reach most stations within a county.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenorthern

Established Member
While looking at a map I have been trying to work out if there is any county where there is a station which has direct trains to every other station within that county or which station can reach the most stations within that county.

So far the only counties I have got is Rutland as this contains only one station and Shropshire which Shrewsbury I think can reach all stations.

In other counties the most from one station are:

Staffordshire: Rugeley Trent Valley and Stoke-on-Trent where both can reach 10 although Birmingham New Street can reach 16.

Leicestershire: Leicester can reach all but Bottlesford.

Cumbria: Carlisle can reach all but the ones on the Windermere Branch Line.

Can anyone think of any more?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route:oxford

Established Member
While looking at a map I have been trying to work out if there is any county where there is a station which has direct trains to every other station within that county or which station can reach the most stations within that county.

So far the only counties I have got is Rutland as this contains only one station and Shropshire which Shrewsbury I think can reach all stations.

In other counties the most from one station are:

Staffordshire: Rugeley Trent Valley and Stoke-on-Trent where both can reach 10 although Birmingham New Street can reach 16.

Leicestershire: Leicester can reach all but Bottlesford.

Cumbria: Carlisle can reach all but the ones on the Windermere Branch Line.

Can anyone think of any more?

Alloa - Clackmannanshire

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
In Humberside, Grimsby and Hull can both reach 16 other stations but none have services from both and Doncaster can reach more Humberside stations.

After a quick look:
Newcastle Central for Tyne and Wear, Metro.
Whitby for North Yorkshire as NYMR runs there
Norwich can reach all but Kings Lynn in Norfolk.
Nottingham can reach all but Retford in Nottinghamshire.
Sheffield can reach most in South Yorkshire.
Liverpool Central in Merseyside as it has the subways.
Darlington for Cleveland/Teesside.
Inverness for Highland.
Manchester Piccadilly can reach most in Derbyshire but not Derby.
Sleaford for Lincolnshire.
Leeds for West Yorkshire.
Preston for Lancashire..

Last edited by a moderator:

thenorthern

Established Member
In Derbyshire the most in the county is Derby with 13 is but Manchester Piccadilly can reach 20.

Parallel

Established Member
Westbury can reach: Trowbridge, Bradford On Avon, Avoncliff, Melksham, Chippenham, Swindon, Pewsey, Bedwyn (very limited service), Dilton Marsh, Warminster and Salisbury - It serves every station in Wiltshire with the exception of Tisbury. That's quite high for a county that doesn't have that many stations!

EDIT: Trowbridge is the same, except there is only one direct train from Trowbridge to Pewsey a day.

Last edited:

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Humberside hasn't existed as a county since 1996.

Just because the county council was abolished doesn't mean it is a non-existant county. My area is not in any other county council area, does that mean I have no county? No I was born in Humberside, I listen to Humberside BBC radio, the police and fire brigade are called Humberside, the post says Humberside. What county am I in then???

Also many other places are also unitary authorites without a county council covering them:
City of Derby, Blackpool, Redcar and Cleveland, Peterborough etc.
Aren't they still in their last county?

Last edited by a moderator:

SeanG

Established Member

Preston for Lancashire..

Whitby cannot get all in North Yorkshire.

Preston cannot get all in Lancashire but gets close. (thinking the stations on the Wigan-Southport line and Clitheroe - Darwen

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Preston cannot get all in Lancashire but gets close. (thinking the stations on the Wigan-Southport line and Clitheroe - Darwen

Preston is connected to Ramsgreave, Langho, Whalley and Clitheroe via DalesRail and the Fellsman (granted that's high summer Sundays and Wednesdays respectively only), so it will only be Darwen and Entwistle. It also doesn't have any direct services to Wennington or Heysham Port.

Tomnick

Established Member
Just because the county council was abolished doesn't mean it is a non-existant county. My area is not in any other county council area, does that mean I have no county? No I was born in Humberside, I listen to Humberside BBC radio, the police and fire brigade are called Humberside, the post says Humberside. What county am I in then???

Also many other places are also unitary authorites without a county council covering them:
City of Derby, Blackpool, Redcar and Cleveland, Peterborough etc.
Aren't they still in their last county?
If I'm not mistaken, the area south of the Humber is now part of the ceremonial county of Lincolnshire (but not the administrative county), and that north of the river forms the East Riding of Yorkshire, which is a county in its own right. Although other organisations still use the term, the county of Humberside was thankfully abolished in the mid-90s.

Established Member
GrimsbyPacer:1952072 said:
In Humberside, Grimsby and Hull can both reach 16 other stations but none have services from both and Doncaster can reach more Humberside stations.

After a quick look:
Newcastle Central for Tyne and Wear, Metro.
Norwich can reach all but Kings Lynn in Norfolk.
Nottingham can reach all but Retford in Nottinghamshire.
Sheffield can reach most in South Yorkshire.
Liverpool Central in Merseyside as it has the subways.
Darlington for Cleveland/Teesside.
Inverness for Highland.
Manchester Piccadilly can reach most in Derbyshire but not Derby.
Sleaford for Lincolnshire.
Leeds for West Yorkshire.
Preston for Lancashire..
Leeds can't reach the Penistone line

anti-pacer

Established Member
Or Baildon.

Or Streethouse, Featherstone and Pontefract Baghill.

And although TPE's pass through, trains from Leeds to Slaithwaite and Marsden require a change in Huddersfield.

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
And although TPE's pass through, trains from Leeds to Slaithwaite and Marsden require a change in Huddersfield.

There's one direct Sunday service each way between Marsden (and Slaithwaite) and Leeds, therefore it technically has direct services. ;)

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
If I'm not mistaken, the area south of the Humber is now part of the ceremonial county of Lincolnshire (but not the administrative county), and that north of the river forms the East Riding of Yorkshire, which is a county in its own right. Although other organisations still use the term, the county of Humberside was thankfully abolished in the mid-90s.

Of what importance are cerenonial counties?
I was under the impression we were doing adminstrative counties as ceremonial counties are seldom used. What do you have against my area? As people putting my address as Lincolnshire incorrectly causes me alot of problems as I do not live in the East Midlands region.

If we are doing ceremonial counties then:
Bristol TM for Bristol county.
Smallbrook Junction for Isle of Wright.
Bank for City of London.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Aberdeen for Aberdeenshire/Grampian
Wrexham for Clwyd/Flintshire.
Coleraine for County Derry/Londonderry.
Crewe for Cheshire.
Birmingham NS for West Midlands.
Ipswich for Suffolk.
St Austell for Cornwall.

PS, Severn Valley has stations in Salop not served by Shrewsbury.
And does anyone know Greater Manchester?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
There can't be many stations in Kent you can't reach from Tonbridge.

Ah well, Tonbridge was only the focus of the old South Eastern Railway. A fair bit of the old London Chatham and Dover Railway east of Swanley on the main line and East of Otford isn't directly reachable from there.

cuccir

Established Member
GrimsbyPacer:1952324 said:

I was under the impression we were doing adminstrative counties as ceremonial counties are seldom used. What do you have against my area? As people putting my address as Lincolnshire incorrectly causes me alot of problems as I do not live in the East Midlands region?

I don't know where you live, but from your description you're in either the North Lincolnshire or North East Lincolnshire unitary authority. Administratively you're not in any county; so it makes most sense in that area to reference the ceremonial county. Humberside no longer exists as a county but does stay in a number of organizations eg police.

Back on topic:

Newcastle is not in Northumbria, but can reach every station in that county.

Last edited:

kieron

Established Member
Wrexham for Clwyd/Flintshire.
I'm not exactly sure what question you were addressing with your post, but:

Wrexham General and Shotton have trains to every station in Flintshire, as well as to every mainline station in Wrexham CB.

The Preserved County of Clwyd includes the post-1997 authorities of Flintshire, Wrexham, Denbighshire and Conwy.

Wrexham General and Shotton have direct trains to every station in Clwyd save for the 9 stations on the Conwy Valley line between Glan Conwy and Roman Bridge.

Llandudno Junction has direct trains to every station save for the 9 stations in Wales which are only on the Wrexham-Bidston line.

As such, the three stations have equal claim to the most stations in Clwyd which can be reached with a single train. If I had to choose, I'd go for the one Clwyd County Council wasn't responsible for 20 years ago.

thenorthern

Established Member
With counties to avoid arguments go by ceremonial county so that Staffordshire includes Stoke-on-Trent and Derbyshire includes Derby.

I think Nottigham can reach all but Shireoaks and Retford in Nottinghamshire.

thenorthern

Established Member
As far as I know every station in West Lothian and East Lothian as well as the city of Edinburgh can be reached from both Haymarket and Edinburgh stations.

I think Newcastle may be able to reach every station in Tyne and Wear.

AndyNLondon

It's a trivial example, but not yet been mentioned: every NR station on the Isle of Wight has a direct service to all of the others.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Ah well, Tonbridge was only the focus of the old South Eastern Railway. A fair bit of the old London Chatham and Dover Railway east of Swanley on the main line and East of Otford isn't directly reachable from there.

Or all the Kentish stations on the Ashford to Hastings line e.g. Appledore, nor the Sheerness branch nor Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch. Apart from all them you can get anywhere in Kent direct from Tonbridge! Oh, nor forgetting Maidstone East etc.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Or all the Kentish stations on the Ashford to Hastings line e.g. Appledore, nor the Sheerness branch nor Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch. Apart from all them you can get anywhere in Kent direct from Tonbridge! Oh, nor forgetting Maidstone East etc.

Although to be fair, you can reach quite a nice chunk if Sussex from there !

Tomnick

Established Member
I was under the impression we were doing adminstrative counties as ceremonial counties are seldom used. What do you have against my area? As people putting my address as Lincolnshire incorrectly causes me alot of problems as I do not live in the East Midlands region.
It is (or was) my area too! I don't suppose it matters whether we're discussing ceremonial or administrative counties, as Humberside is neither. Interestingly, reading further (here and here), it seems that Royal Mail has finally abolished the use of Humberside as a former postal county - my emphasis being on 'former', as the inclusion of a county hasn't been necessary for many years now when addressing mail!

marks87

Established Member
Depending on how you define county, any station in Dundee and Angus; or Perth.

Dundee can reach all stations within the Dundee City council area - although that's not especially hard since the only other station is Broughty Ferry, 4 miles down the line (and naturally, Broughty Ferry can reach Dundee).

If we subsume Dundee into Angus (as it once was), then the same applies - all of Dundee, Broughty Ferry, Balmossie, Monifieth, Barry, Golf Street, Carnoustie, Arbroath and Montrose can reach all of the others.

But if we consider the old Tayside region, Perth claims the prize because only it can reach all the aforementioned, plus Invergowrie, Dunkeld & Birnham, Pitlochry and Blair Atholl.

Eng274

If you class the city of Glasgow as a county, Glasgow Central can reach about 32 stations within the city boundary. If it is part of the wider strathclyde area, it could easily be doubled.

Status
Not open for further replies.