• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Under utilised class 67s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GrimShady

Established Member
er, Wikipedia says

The fires were due to large HEP requirements placed on the prime mover. Co-Co is always going to be better for RA and tractive effort which are two failings of Class 67.

On Moderation
The engine issues were restricted to the locos used on the Enterprise. Running at full whack while stationary is not good.

Otherwise the 201s are great locos.
So it’s a flawed design if it can’t provide HEP without causing engine faults - it was part of the specification for them to work passenger trains daily with HEP working. They’ve been fortunate the Mark 3 generator vans were available for the Enterprise to mitigate the problem.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Yep for line speeds above 90mph Light engine running is 75mph maximum, line speeds below 90mph LE running is 60mph maximum.

Didn't know Class 67s were ever allowed to run at 100mph LE at any time. Wow what a wild ride!!
Not entirely true. 68s and 88s can run at max/line speed. I don't know if the same still applies to 67s.

AndrewE

Established Member
The engine issues were restricted to the locos used on the Enterprise. Running at full whack while stationary is not good. Otherwise the 201s are great locos.
Diesel Gen sets and Stand-by generators seem to work OK, and they run as planned while going nowhere! Are you saying that the 201s ran flat out even if they were only delivering "hotel power?"

So it’s a flawed design if it can’t provide HEP without causing engine faults - it was part of the specification for them to work passenger trains daily with HEP working. They’ve been fortunate the Mark 3 generator vans were available for the Enterprise to mitigate the problem.
Definitely sounds like a flawed design to me...

dubscottie

Are you saying that the 201s ran flat out even if they were only delivering "hotel power?"

Definitely sounds like a flawed design to me...

Yup! Example here -

I believe the reason was because the HEP comes off the main generator rather than there being a separate one for HEP.

GrimShady

Established Member

Anymore flawed than the list of issues ExRes listed with 67s?

Would 67s have performed the same role better?

Let's not forget 47/7s had a similar gruelling time on the E&G services.

Does anyone know why EWS went for the 67 design instead of a Pax 66?

angryskipfan

The 201 head end power is ac 3 phase 415 v like hst but unlike hst is locked to 50 hz with an aux gen directly connected to engine. So idle speed is very high and corresponds to full engine rated speed. Traction is controlled by a separate alternator rectifier to control speed.
Uk eth practice is 650 to 1000v dc or ac. Output does not require a fixed engine speed so can be much lower than cie 201. Class 68 fir example, eth is tapped off the dc link to the ac traction converters.

ac6000cw

Established Member
The 201 head end power is ac 3 phase 415 v like hst but unlike hst is locked to 50 hz with an aux gen directly connected to engine. So idle speed is very high and corresponds to full engine rated speed.

Yes, it's derived from US HEP practice, which is 3-phase 480V 60Hz. Most EMD F40PH's had the same arrangement (and the constant full-power engine rpm in HEP mode as a consequence). That said, as far as I know, those didn't suffer from the 201's HEP related reliability problems (just the noise and higher engine wear issues).

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The 201 head end power is ac 3 phase 415 v like hst but unlike hst is locked to 50 hz with an aux gen directly connected to engine. So idle speed is very high and corresponds to full engine rated speed. Traction is controlled by a separate alternator rectifier to control speed.
Uk eth practice is 650 to 1000v dc or ac. Output does not require a fixed engine speed so can be much lower than cie 201. Class 68 fir example, eth is tapped off the dc link to the ac traction converters.
That’s very interesting. So was the problem with the CIE 201s a lack of airflow around the radiator groups whilst idling at high revs?

dubscottie

That’s very interesting. So was the problem with the CIE 201s a lack of airflow around the radiator groups whilst idling at high revs?

No it was because the engines were being run at full whack constantly. Engine wear and stress went through the roof.

There were only 4 locos that could work the 3 Enterprise sets but 2 more were converted to try and spread out the engine wear.

There are now 9 that can be used.

Last edited:

randyrippley

Established Member
Does anyone know why EWS went for the 67 design instead of a Pax 66?

BR blocked high speed CO-CO locomotives for fear of track damage. EWS wanted 125mph capability which meant it had to be BO-BO, GM didn't have a suitable design so they subbed the job to Spain, who did. Also a production run of 30 was too small for them to build
And if anyone is wondering, the fact that the CO-CO 89 got built was an aberration - whatever its better haulage ability over a 91 it would never have been purchased for the ECML

craigybagel

Established Member

Indeed - the plan was that the 201s would be able to use HEP on the MKIIIs as well and the generator vans could be removed from IÉ altogether. In the end not only did that never happen, but the Enterprise sets which didn't have generator vans as built acquired MKIII generators when the rest of the MKIII fleet was withdrawn. With the lesson learnt the MKIVs were built with generators in the DVTs.

Not entirely true. 68s and 88s can run at max/line speed. I don't know if the same still applies to 67s.

It does indeed, 67s are still not subject to the normal light engine speeds. They also have further dispensation between Shrewsbury and Cardiff only to run at MU speeds when hauling MKIIIs.

GrimShady

Established Member
It does indeed, 67s are still not subject to the normal light engine speeds. They also have further dispensation between Shrewsbury and Cardiff only to run at MU speeds when hauling MKIIIs.

That's interesting! Where did that dispensation come from?

krus_aragon

Established Member
That's interesting! Where did that dispensation come from?
It was negotiated between ATW / the Welsh Government and Network Rail, specifically for the North-South loco-hauled express. (I think it only appeared for the 67s, not the earlier 57s.)

ExRes

Established Member
67s had another dispensation brought in shortly after they started revenue service, a 47 and four vans was limited, to 75mph if my memory serves, because of brake force, for example one service we operated to Reading was allowed on the Down Main but not at the 47 max of 95mph, shortly after 67s became available that was rescinded and the max speed raised to that of the vans, as usual this anomaly was brought up by the drivers not by management and only really came to light because of OTMR

craigybagel

Established Member
It was negotiated between ATW / the Welsh Government and Network Rail, specifically for the North-South loco-hauled express. (I think it only appeared for the 67s, not the earlier 57s.)

It wouldn't have been much use with the 57s anyway as other then the buffet car it was MKIIs in those days and as there were only 4 cars in the formation the set was already limited to 80mph.

TheJoyOfSix

Regarding only needing 4 67s for Mail trains.....

Right up to the end of Mail trains there were 4 needed at St Blazey, 2 at Bristol, 2 at Swansea, 2 at Norwich, 1 at Tyne Yard, 1 at Motherwell, 4 at Willesden. There were then 2 needed for the Sleepers and 1 for the Walsall - Aberdeen fast freight. That's 19 in total just to run the booked work of the time.

krus_aragon

Established Member
It wouldn't have been much use with the 57s anyway as other then the buffet car it was MKIIs in those days and as there were only 4 cars in the formation the set was already limited to 80mph.
That'll explain my recollections. Thanks for the details. :)

Chris217

Yup! Example here -

I believe the reason was because the HEP comes off the main generator rather than there being a separate one for HEP.

Always wondered why they were always thrashing even when stationary.
Great sounds if you are into GM's.

2 are booked for UK railtours Euston to Bridgenorth this Saturday - assuming it will be the Belmond pair again?

LMS 4F

I went by Wembley Yard yesterday, Sunday 17th, at about 1115 and again at 1545 and I am sure I saw 4 or possibly 5 Class 67s in at least 4 different liveries. The only number I saw was 024 coupled to another in a brown and cream paint job.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I went by Wembley Yard yesterday, Sunday 17th, at about 1115 and again at 1545 and I am sure I saw 4 or possibly 5 Class 67s in at least 4 different liveries. The only number I saw was 024 coupled to another in a brown and cream paint job.
I can well believe it; for a small class all delivered in a single squadron scheme they now exhibit quite a range of liveries:

EWS Red & Gold (As delivered, now 67007-009, 011, 016/017, 019/020, 022, 030)
DB Cargo Red (67004/010/013/015/018/028)
Royal Train Burgundy (67005/006)
Wrexham & Shropshire/Chiltern Grey & Silver (Originally 67010, 012-015, now 67012/014)
Arriva Trains Wales Dark Blue (67001-003)
Transport for Wales Light Grey (67025, more to follow)
Pullman Umber & Cream (67021/024)
Diamond Jubilee Silver (67026)
DB Executive Train Silver (67029)
Colas Rail Orange/Yellow (67023/027)

In addition, 67004 and 010 have carried Caledonian Sleeper midnight teal livery but have since been repainted DB red.

Last edited:

Speed43125

I can well believe it; for a small class all delivered in a single squadron scheme they now exhibit quite a range of liveries:

In addition, 67004 and 010 have carried Caledonian Sleeper midnight teal livery but have since been repainted DB red.
Interesting. I only ever recalling seeing one Serco CS liveried 67. Always seemed to be an EWS 67 or im the final days DB red. Interesting that is.
Your point about the variety is on point too. Lot of variety, though in no small part thanks to them being underutilized.

On Moderation

EWS Red & Gold (As delivered, now 67007-009, 011, 016/017, 019/020, 022, 030)
DB Cargo Red (67004/010/013/015/018/028)
Royal Train Dark Plum (67005/006)
Wrexham & Shropshire/Chiltern Grey & Silver (Originally 67010, 012-015, now 67012/014)
Arriva Trains Wales Dark Blue (67001-003)
Transport for Wales Light Grey (67025, more to follow)
Pullman Umber & Cream (67021/024)
Diamond Jubilee Silver (67026)
DB Executive Train Silver (67029)
Colas Rail Orange/Yellow (67023/027)

I don't think 67018 is actually DB red - think it is "Canadian" red. It certainly isn't in DB standard style.

Status
Not open for further replies.